onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

RIP Pele

Advert

9 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

One of if not the greatest to ever grace the sport. 

Legendary and cult hero known globally. 

Rip to the Legend

He was a true legend of the game to the whole footballing world. Rest in peace your name will never be forgotten.

What marks him and early Maradona out from Messi and Ronaldo was the brutality in international games in the 50s, 60s, 70s and early 80s. Pele just took it, got up and continued to do his thing. Technically not much between the 4 but Pele was just that little bit better.

For me the greatest player ever, won 3 World Cups, best player in the best team of all time in the 1970 World Cup, His passes to Jairzhino to score against England and that to Carlos Alberto for the 4th goal in the final showed a genius player at the top of his game. Gordon bank's save from his header vs England is the best piece of sporting action ever, incredible.

Saw him play at Stoke for Santos FC, remember him scoring from a stunning strike, low and hard, to the bottom corner.

He'll always be remembered.

Without doubt in my mind the greatest footballer i have seen in the Brazil team which won the world cup in 1958 as a boy of seventeen.The star was born won 3 world cups with Brazil which will never done again.Course in generations people will say Ronaldo,Messi,Mbappe Maradona but to me none of these can hold a candle to this wonderful footballer that a have had the privalage to see in my lifetime R I P  PELE and thanks for the memories.

• 2 weeks later...

The Brazil team of 1970 was in my opinion the greatest international team of all time. This is a profound statement because they played in the summer heat of Mexico, but after 53 years that's my thought. 

My abiding memory of this World Cup is the greatest save I've ever seen. That is Banks from Pele in England's 1-0 defeat. That game could have finished 1-1 if Geoff Astle hadn't missed a simple chance. 

But I don't take anything away from Pele, who did everything right with his header into the ground and into the corner, and Banks who made an incredible save. 

Things went wrong for England in this tournament as they have in many. Banks got food poisoning and was not available for the quarter final. I think England would not have surrendered the lead v Germany with Banks in goal. 

In the final Brazil absolutely battered Italy. Italy were a very strong side and it goes to illustrate what phenomenonal side Brazil were.

But most of all, Pele and Banks became good friends. They had total respect for each other to the benefit of the whole game. I know England lost, but sometimes great football transcends support. It was like that with Pele and I suggest it is like that with Messi. He somehow dragged Argentina to the 2022 World Cup because he too is up there with Pele as a god level player. 

What can't be seen on pictures of Pele are the old-fashioned boots, the poor standard of pitches nor him being kicked to pieces unprotected. Absolutely fantastic player. I asert he was the start of the modern game.

Archived