onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Port Vale Podcast

Osh

Any of you that have read any of my posts know I love the Ale & The Vale Podcast; if you've not gotten in to this already I urge you to do so; Bezzer and Johnny and guest do a superb job twice a week.

However, the club themselves have just started doing one; there only appears to be two episodes so far but they're both very good.

The second seems to be just the audio from the recent interview with Carol that was splashed all over social media; however - the first one is really superb and well worth a listen

It interviews Will Ryder; if this doesn't impress you and make your heart swell with pride at being a Vale Fan I don't know what will.  It also underlines how far we've come in just the few short years since Carol and Kevin took over from the fat Controller.

Hope you enjoy it

#UTV #KTF #WNE

Advert

Listened to them both. The Carol one is great and really makes me proud to be a Vale fan. But the Will Ryder one is just full of platitudes and buzz words, no doubt that impresses Carol but it generally doesn't mean anything. I listened for 45 minutes and learned very little, other than we treat our players well and want to win games. 

A Port Vale podcast is a great idea, but you need actual content.

Gav you listened something completely different than me m8.

The fact that, from what we are now doing as a club, we are being invited in to U21 and Academy competitions at the likes of Chelsea (et el) is simply amazing.  Its great to have a wonderful club, competing as we are in EFL1, but what Carol and Will and the team are building in the background, is the very future of Port Vale Football Club.

Planning stuff like this is wonderful, in my humble opinion.

Just my twopeneth worth

I was interested in what Carol had to say about the community, and trying to get people from all areas (cultures) into the club.

Stoke on Trent is a very diverse area, but Port Vale fans from what I can tell are almost all White, same with Stoke fans.

That means there's thousands of potential fans right on the doorstep if we can get them to the games.

Obviously this may worry some of our 'fanbase' but I really think there's a big opportunity there

5 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

I was interested in what Carol had to say about the community, and trying to get people from all areas (cultures) into the club.

Stoke on Trent is a very diverse area, but Port Vale fans from what I can tell are almost all White, same with Stoke fans.

This was something I noticed going down Vale with my son-in-law, who is not white. Now, got no stick, no problem. But it does open your eyes as to just how white the crowd are.  Not something I'd noticed before.  Think it is because it is traditionally a white working-class sport not because the place is full of racists.  But definitely something we should be working on to increase the fan base.

42 minutes ago, toyahw said:

This was something I noticed going down Vale with my son-in-law, who is not white. Now, got no stick, no problem. But it does open your eyes as to just how white the crowd are.  Not something I'd noticed before.  Think it is because it is traditionally a white working-class sport not because the place is full of racists.  But definitely something we should be working on to increase the fan base.

I think this is nail on head, most of us probably go because our great grandads/grandads/dads followed vale and we follow suit. Ethnic communities who are maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation post immigration won't have that same tie to a local team, and have probably never had any engagement from either vale or stoke.

I applaud any action to rectify this from Carol and the community trust. 

The only non-white people I see at the Vale tend to be the stewards. Curious is it not?
Asian families don't seem to encourage football, they don't see the game as a career, they push their sons towards business, law and medicine.

Also Cricket is the national sport in many Asian countries, but you would have thought with 3rd and 4th generations coming through more would take the sport up.

21 minutes ago, Vale Ball said:

Asian families don't seem to encourage football, they don't see the game as a career, they push their sons towards business, law and medicine.

Also Cricket is the national sport in many Asian countries, but you would have thought with 3rd and 4th generations coming through more would take the sport up.

Tell that to Mr and Mrs Benning and Malv and our ref Sat. I know what you mean but those days are gone mate.  

20 hours ago, toyahw said:

Tell that to Mr and Mrs Benning and Malv and our ref Sat. I know what you mean but those days are gone mate.  

Those days aren’t gone.  Families with lineage to the Indian subcontinent still prefer cricket as their sport of choice, it’s in the blood.  You only have to look at the participation in the local football and cricket leagues to see it.  On a personal note, no science here, the vast majority of the Asian people I’ve worked with over the years will happily talk football but their passion has predominantly always been cricket.  That includes me not just working locally but in Manchester area and the West Midlands.  Not that this is solid proof of anything.

In the wider sense of the subject Carol touched on, outside of the main urban areas, the population locally isn’t very diverse in my view.  In the north of the city only Cobridge and Tunstall have a mix of ethnicities, that’s about it.  I’d think the vast majority of the residents of the wider Stoke-on-Trent and surrounding areas would describe themselves as white British so we’re pitching to a relatively small number of potential fans, a fair chunk of whom may historically prefer a different sport anyway.

Bottom line of course it’s imperative we try to attract new fans, irrespective of race or gender.

Interesting insight into the man. These kind of in depth interviews with current players are what we need from the official podcast. Speaking of which, I wonder if theale and the Vale boys could get another former player on for a bit chat, its been a while since the last one.

Archived