onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope

ladymedina

19 hours ago, Powerline said:

That’s not the point though, of course they’ve got little in common with the Rothschilds. However it is a sad fact that over the course of history it has been used as a way of being derogatory to Jewish people. 

Perhaps that's where we differ, I don't see anything to do with owning a bank (or all Banks!!!!!) as being derogatory in any way.  In an era where a road or the air are deemed as racist and given the modern definition of racism then just about anything anyone says can be construed as racist by some people.

19 hours ago, Powerline said:

Also, I have two Jewish friends who both asked me about the Tom Pope incident. I was still at university at the time and they both did my course, and they knew I was a vale fan. I’ve never been so ashamed when they brought it up. And I can tell you they both took it as antisemitic.

I can't remember meeting a Jewish person when I lived in Stoke-on-Trent, the first Jewish person I got to know was at Uni. and I can only imagine he wouldn't have given a damn as he was a very rugged person and from what I can remember wasn't a football fan.

Advert

10 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Perhaps that's where we differ, I don't see anything to do with owning a bank (or all Banks!!!!!) as being derogatory in any way.  In an era where a road or the air are deemed as racist and given the modern definition of racism then just about anything anyone says can be construed as racist by some people.

I can't remember meeting a Jewish person when I lived in Stoke-on-Trent, the first Jewish person I got to know was at Uni. and I can only imagine he wouldn't have given a damn as he was a very rugged person and from what I can remember wasn't a football fan.

It is historic, for 2000 years casting money lenders out of the temple has been associated with Jews.  Before your time,  Barnett Stross  Labour MP for SOT in the 40s was a Polish Jew.

On 05/06/2022 at 17:11, PV1973 said:

No idea why there’s another Pope thread when they all just descend into arguments anyway.

Saw him at the Robbie gig last night for what it’s worth, he was a guest of the club so the hard feelings can’t be that bad. 

I think the club has a damn sight more class than TP has?

On 07/06/2022 at 01:40, Powerline said:

Sorry but you cannot defend his tweets. The Rothschild tweet was a disgrace, it’s a very well known antisemitic conspiracy theory. He’s either an anti semite or thick as pig <ovf censored>, you choose which.

Quite possible he's both?

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Your anecdotal evidence of one Jew you once met who you imagine would not be offended being your yardstick of if something is offensive to the Jewish community is a stupid way of judging something. An expert decided it was but you know better because you once knew a Jew. How daft is that? It was deemed offensive enough for a long ban. It wouldn’t offend you as you aren’t a Jew. Do you tell black people what they should be offended by as well? Perhaps if you weren’t offended by it you should not second guess what a community that by your own admission you don’t know would be offended by. Leave it to the experts eh? 
At worst it was anti semetic,  at best it was a moronic thing to tweet on the evening of what may have been his most memorable goal for the vale but you still defend it. Puddled. 

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

It is historic, for 2000 years casting money lenders out of the temple has been associated with Jews.  Before your time,  Barnett Stross  Labour MP for SOT in the 40s was a Polish Jew.

So how is that derogatory to Jewish people and would the majority of regular ordinary people know it was.

It is before my time Fosse.

55 minutes ago, WV said:

Your anecdotal evidence of one Jew you once met who you imagine would not be offended being your yardstick of if something is offensive to the Jewish community is a stupid way of judging something.

And it was a very stupid way of interpreting my post. It was in reply to a post which contained reference to two Jewish people which I see you didn't comment on. For the record I didn't just meet this person he was part of our group for 3 years and very often socialized with us.

55 minutes ago, WV said:

An expert decided it was but you know better because you once knew a Jew. How daft is that?

Never claimed to know better but just disagreed with the ruling 'cause I can think for myself. To say my view is based on knowing a Jew is daft on your part, in fact I would say it's stupid bordering on  moronic.

55 minutes ago, WV said:

It was deemed offensive enough for a long ban. It wouldn’t offend you as you aren’t a Jew. Do you tell black people what they should be offended by as well? Perhaps if you weren’t offended by it you should not second guess what a community that by your own admission you don’t know would be offended by. Leave it to the experts eh? 

The verdict was not based on what the Jewish community or a Jew thought but based on "Whether a reasonable person reading the statement in context would consider it an aggrevated breach". So if the tweet was offensive why did the commission need to employ an academic expert on Jewish people/Rothschild family to explain why it was offensive/antisemitic. A reasonable person wouldn't have that level of knowledge.

55 minutes ago, WV said:

At worst it was anti semetic,  at best it was a moronic thing to tweet on the evening of what may have been his most memorable goal for the vale but you still defend it. Puddled. 

Explain to me how a reasonable person would find TP's tweet to be antisemitic.

I'm defending nothing just saying the verdict was incorrect.

TP's tweet was factually so incorrect to any reasonable person that it should have been treated with disdain and as such condemned to the dustbin, not reported to the FA for them to employ an expert to make a case for something it was not.

Your whole post was moronic and puddled, very lacking in knowledge and thought. 

Your anecdotal evidence of one Jew you once met who you imagine would not be offended being your yardstick of if something is offensive to the Jewish community is a stupid way of judging something. An expert decided it was but you know better because you once knew a Jew. How daft is that? It was deemed offensive enough for a long ban. It wouldn’t offend you as you aren’t a Jew. Do you tell black people what they should be offended by as well? Perhaps if you weren’t offended by it you should not second guess what a community that by your own admission you don’t know would be offended by. Leave it to the experts eh? 
Oh get over yourself you daft bugger.

7 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

It’s not just about owning banks though. People who are antisemitic often blame Jewish people for their money related problems. You can’t really say it’s not derogatory when you’ve not lived through it yourself.

And it was in Birmingham where I now live, and they were from Manchester and London. One was a football fan (Spurs fan) one was not. Both heard about the incident through the news. Both asked me about it separately. Both took it to be antisemitic. I apologised to them both profusely and made it clear it did not represent my views or that of port vale. I was utterly ashamed to have it brought up to me. It was at that point I lost all respect for pope, especially after he refused to recognise how it is antisemitic. He made me ashamed to be a vale fan for the first time in my life.

3 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Why are religious people so precious? A bloke a with a football instead of a brain between his ears makes an uneducated comment and people go into meltdown. Boohoo. 

Vale legend, that is all he needs to be remembered for.

In this day and age footballers are an ambassador for the club, and should act as such. If I made such a tweet I’d get sacked from my job. Maybe he should’ve taken a bit more responsibility and shown more professionalism instead of bringing the club into disrepute.

6 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Any chance anyone can answer the original poster’s question?

I've not seen anything announced unless anyone can correct me. 

I think the date and other details are a question for the club/Supporters Club. 

Hope that helps.

Archived