League 2 Relegation fight

tommytunstall

11 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Personally I’d want Walsall to stay up. They’ll bring more fans than most away sides and it’s a great away day. I’ve personally never really seen the rivalry between the clubs 

It was created mainly because they became our bogie team,big time.You could count on two hands the number of times we beat them.In the time I've been supporting Vale, we've won 10 games against Walsall's 31!!!

Advert:

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a time when fans went Stoke one week and Vale the other, some supported one, some the other and some both.
The reason I don't hold Stoke at the top of the list is because when I started we were leagues apart and were so for years.
Walsall, Chester, Stockport et all we played regularly and often didn't fare too well - especially Walsall.

Advert:

While we're on about bogey teams, the ones for me were Walsall and Notts County, the former had Alan Buckley who in his 1st spell at Walsall scored a goal every two games and one every three games in his 2nd spell and he always seemed to do something against Vale. Notts had Les Bradd who was a pain in the butt, he averaged a goal every 3 games for them.

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

Have to remember folks that for post 2002 fans (like me, who started in 2003), Stoke are the main target of hatred, but from afar. I've never seen a proper Potteries Derby.

One day hopefully mate.. absolutely electric. Sick to your stomach for days before hand and the tension in everyday life surrounding it was addictive.

Im not ashamed to say I worked myself up so much before the bogie 12 second goal game when I was 15 that when he scored I burst into tears. 

Advert:

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

One day hopefully mate.. absolutely electric. Sick to your stomach for days before hand and the tension in everyday life surrounding it was addictive.

Im not ashamed to say I worked myself up so much before the bogie 12 second goal game when I was 15 that when he scored I burst into tears. 

Or that memorable rainy night when we put them out of the FA Cup... What a year that was.. There I was in the uncovered Lorne Street soaked to the skin loving it when Dave Regis rounded the keeper only to roll the ball into a puddle, and not too long later Foyle rounded their keeper but passed the ball inches off the ground into the net for the winner..

Special nights, more special for the rivally which is sadly missing. As stated earlier though, in the entire history of Port Vale we rarely mix in the same company. 

13 hours ago, dishydave said:
20 hours ago, valefan79 said:
Remember going Walsall around 93/94 season when we must have taken over 3500, took the Police and Wrexham by surprise that day, sure the away end was completely rammed and they ended up moving home fans to another stand to accommodate all the Vale fans.

Great day out that was they had to put extra trains on as we all met up at longport and just seamed to pick up more and more vale fans every stop then by the time we got to Chester I think it was. There were to many of us.

You must be mistaken there  Dave, surely the train wouldn’t go via Chester to Walsall from Stoke, maybe Stafford.

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

Agree with the Walsall and Stoke hatred...but me and kids always hated the Baggies!!! Probably since they were hurling bricks at us one time?

I remember that, coming through the external exit of the stand and the builders had just left bricks lying around that were there for the renovation.  It was a pretty tense few mins trying to get out of the concourse with bricks being lobbed in.  

Advert:

44 minutes ago, Quebec_Valiant said:

I remember that, coming through the external exit of the stand and the builders had just left bricks lying around that were there for the renovation.  It was a pretty tense few mins trying to get out of the concourse with bricks being lobbed in.  

I love how we Brits naturally understate things! "...it was a pretty tense few mins..." hahaha!!! It certainly was - were (ahem) bricking it!!! 

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

I've never seen a proper Potteries Derby

I feel sorry for you. The 1st one I went to was when we played in 89 at the old Victoria Ground. It's still one of the best football atmospheres I have ever witnessed. The build up and anticipation to the match was amazing. It was before seating so you had to get in early to find a spot, this resulted in the ground being pretty full a good 20 mins before the match. No music played back then so fans just sang at each other which really created a huge excitement as part of the build up. Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up thinking about it. 

15 minutes ago, MBE said:

I feel sorry for you. The 1st one I went to was when we played in 89 at the old Victoria Ground. It's still one of the best football atmospheres I have ever witnessed. The build up and anticipation to the match was amazing. It was before seating so you had to get in early to find a spot, this resulted in the ground being pretty full a good 20 mins before the match. No music played back then so fans just sang at each other which really created a huge excitement as part of the build up. Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up thinking about it. 

I think that was the 1st one that I went to.  I think it was the 1st for a very long time.  I remember when Earle scored the sound was so loud it was distorted in my ears.  I also remember watching one game from in the Stoke Paddock, I remember us taking the lead and just watching that whole Vale end erupt in ecstasy was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, just a shame I couldn't enjoy it (but I like my teeth too much).

Archived