onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

4 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Ah I wasn't aware of that! Just surprised me seeing he was released as he always looked a good player whenever I've seen him. Shame!

Yeah, shame as well because I think the local part of it, given he is from Stockport will play a big part in our recruitment.

Advert

25 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

This is the one big reason I'd support a salary cap. Owners who think they can buy football have, are and will be the ruination of the game. Just hope it comes in.

Think the novelty may wear off. I guess they improved in the second half of the season but I bet they expected better for the cash splashed . 

On 19/06/2020 at 16:50, darren1810 said:

Think the novelty may wear off. I guess they improved in the second half of the season but I bet they expected better for the cash splashed . 

Very true. Added to that, Beckham has moved his focus to his “Inter Miami” team. I tend to believe most of the United players saw Salford as an investment they would get a return on. 

I can’t see them throwing money at it forever. 

24 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Very true. Added to that, Beckham has moved his focus to his “Inter Miami” team. I tend to believe most of the United players saw Salford as an investment they would get a return on. 

I can’t see them throwing money at it forever. 

The issue here is that the money doesn’t come from the United players... I think they have put a total of £500k in combined.

The money comes from Peter Lim who has a 40% stake, is therefore the biggest individual shareholder and is worth $2.5bn and owns Valencia (hence why Gary got the managers job that time)

1 hour ago, robf said:

Ollie Palmer (long linked to Vale) has been offered a new contract by Crawley:

https://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/2020/june/released-and-retained-list/

So I guess it will be interesting to see if Vale make a counter offer and offer him a contract here.

I'd put money on he won't be at Crawley next season. Whether he ends up at Vale is debatable. Regular goalscorer, well over 6ft and mobile. 

Ian Henderson released by Rochdale. He found out via social media, too, appallingly.

He’s 35 years old. 16 goals in a struggling side, in the league above last season.

Over 100 goals for Dale in 7 years. Excellent penalty taker.

I’d drive him here myself. Would definitely do a job at this level. Local too.

6 hours ago, Pennywise said:

Ian Henderson released by Rochdale. He found out via social media, too, appallingly.

He’s 35 years old. 16 goals in a struggling side, in the league above last season.

Astonished to see he's 35. Seems to be top scorer every season going. 

Age is the big factor here given Pope is approaching 35.

Good shout otherwise and he's still got it. 

7 hours ago, Pennywise said:

He was on a good wage, so I presume that is a factor for his release. Calvin was also on decent money there.

3 hours ago, Emile said:

If were playing 4 3 3 there's only room for one striker on the pitch. We want 4 on rotation so he would essentially be replacing Bennett. At 35 I'm sure he's got 15 games in him.

The last time we signed a Henderson it didn't work out too well!

Ian Henderson has played a lot in midfield and on the wing. Don't think he has the physicality to play in the sole striker role. Cullen is quite strong taking the ball with his back to goal, even if he isn't that tall. Similar age to Paul Green when he signed for Crewe, so age not necessarily against him IF his legs haven't gone. Maybe on the radar as a 4th striker/ utility player. What's stood out for me from league one and two retained lists are:

1. Very few centreforwards released

2. Loads of quite clever players who are probably natural 10s, who can also play out wide or in a midfield 3 or as a second striker.  These players were in short supply a couple of seasons ago. I think teams are becoming more adept defensively at closing down in that hole between the traditionally existed between two centrebacks and 2 central midfield players. Most teams are now playing with an anchor in midfield whose main job is to prevent 10s dictating play (which is Joyce's main job for us) so managers might be looking to change how they attack to compensate. Maybe teams will look at attacking more out wide, which might lead to attacking fullbacks getting more exposed defensively. Northampton did a job on Cheltenham partly by deploying a front 3 in the second leg. Exeter got a lot of joy against Cohen Bramhall by overloading there right hand side, which exposed Bramhall as a defensive leftback in their second leg. Very similar to what we did in the home game with Colchester. 

Archived