onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

A couple of people have mentioned the Fitzpatrick signing. Myself I don't see a connection as two totally different players /options 

I mentioned the Fitzpatrick signing but not in the context of him being signed to replace Browne. My point was more - it's a good thing that Fitzpatrick signed because if he is picked as starter at LB then it means Montano could be on the bench and then potentially be used higher up the pitch. 

But I don't think JA signed Fitzpatrick because he knew Browne was going. I think if there had been fore knowledge of this, Vale wouldn't have played Browne so much in friendlies. 

I think JA signed Fitzpatrick because he knows the player well and he wanted a different option to Monty if Crookes was going to be used predominantly as a CB. But Monty's versatility does mean he can cover a number of positions which is handy now that Browne has gone.

Advert

17 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Dodoo would be a shout. Did alright at Bolton last season I believe.

Weren't we linked with Rowe in the past ? Or am I getting him mixed up with the other one 

Yeah that's the Rowe you're thinking of.

Rumour is we bid between £50,000-£100,000 for him when he was at Macclesfield before he chose Ipswich instead.

The line up in the first half makes sense now, though for me it didn’t work and Rodney looked better through the middle 2nd half. 

Nothing against Fitzpatrick but if Askey knew this was coming and wanted to use Monty further up then would have slashed out for Mitch Clark, surely? 

Hope we can get another wide man in.

22 hours ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

At Bradford away last year I ended up sitting virtually in a line with the one on the pitch along which Joyce played virtually the whole first half. He hardly moved off this line between our penalty area and the half-way line. I began to start watching him closely and it was fascinating. He lacks pace but more than makes up for it in anticipation. He covered areas constantly and all our play went through him despite him rarely passing the ball more than ten yards.  Utterly unspectacular but brilliant. Watch him one game, maybe one behind closed doors on the television and see how crucial he is. It is probably not coincidence but I think the only game we lost at home was the one he missed?

We were a lot better after he came on today that’s for sure.

47 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Rowe surely out of our league

Why?

Free agent. Knows Askey well. Ipswich chose to release due to a combination of CV19 and long term injury. He hasn't been paid in 3 months, the country is awash with free agents, L1/L2 clubs are budget capped now, player expenditure is down due to the ramifications of the pandemic. As Askey keeps repeatedly saying, every day that goes by is another few percentage points off the wage demands...

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

A couple of people have mentioned the Fitzpatrick signing. Myself I don't see a connection as two totally different players /options 

Where there may be a connection is given the Oyeleke injury situation Askey may feel he needs an extra body who can play in midfield. It could be that he's had to adjust the balance of his 22 man squad and Rhys Browne ended up being the odd man out, rather than DTS who most of us expected to be.

12 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Nothing against Fitzpatrick but if Askey knew this was coming and wanted to use Monty further up then would have slashed out for Mitch Clark, surely? 

I personally don't think Askey did know till recently and it had no bearing on the Fitzpatrick signing which was done to add competition/cover at LB (which was sensible as Monty is currently injured).

I don't think Fitzpatrick was signed in the knowledge that Browne would go but because we have built up a versatile squad, we can cope with shock departures because we have cover in many positions. As Fitzpatrick can play at LB, we can move Monty forward onto the flank.

As for Clark - I don't think it works like Football Manager where we can simply get any player we want when we want. 😉  What if enquiries had been made about Clark but Leicester didn't want him to go to League Two again or wanted to wait to see if other clubs made enquiries?

So know we know that max registered squad size is 22, we now have (counting not squad numbers)

1. Brown
2. Gibbo
3. Monty
4. Legge
5. Smith
6. Mills
7. Brisley
8. Crookes 
9. Fitzpatrick
10. Joyce
11. Conlon
12. Burgess
13. Whitehead  
14. Manny
15. Amoo
16. Rodney
17. Wozza
18. Cullen
19. Pope
20. Robinson
21. Visser
22. DTS

Not counted:
1. RCG
2. Hurst

So either we will not sign a replacement, which I can’t see, or someone will drop out to accommodate another signing (unless we sign an under 21 year old.

Would that be DTS? Is Manny capable of playing a sufficient number of games for him to take up a space?

In Askey we trust!

Archived