2 hours ago, Joe B said:

We're probably not going to come close to signing Harry McKirdy but I'm thoroughly enjoying the debate

👍🏻  McKirdy can knob off.  There’ll be decent players with better attitudes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robf said:

Hi,

As this was swerving a bit off topic away from the retained list to players you'd like to sign, can I point you in the direction of this new thread:

The new thread is there for all transfer gossip, released players you rate, media rumours etc to be discussed

Bring it on.  Come on, let’s have those juicy rumours boys and girls.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Maybe he worked on that with Rhys Browne this season and I think Browne is decent now tracking back. Probably with Brown the issue was more losing concentration without the ball rather than being lazy full stop.

Browne was exceptional in his defensive work in the dreadful conditions against Colchester. Remember him winning a tackle near to our corner flag that day .

Of course though most forwards are noted for their work at the other end of the pitch. But fans love a trier .

6 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

It would be amazing if we could get Taylor and Clarke back but you never know. There's been a paradigm shift with coronavirus and clubs, players and fans will all have to change their expectations. As we've seen this season, many lower league clubs are already struggling and those that have spent beyond their means are going to find that they can't cope any longer. We may also find that even premiership and championship clubs will be releasing many more players than previously and moving to much smaller squad size. 

So we are going to see the unexpected and attracting the calibre of players we could previously not have afforded may indeed become a reality.  

I agree CD, just depends whether we've any funds at the end of the day and if they want to come to Vale on a longer term basis. if it happened then great, if not and Vale tried then we can't do any more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Browne was exceptional in his defensive work in the dreadful conditions against Colchester. Remember him winning a tackle near to our corner flag that day .

Of course though most forwards are noted for their work at the other end of the pitch. But fans love a trier .

I think he's a better footballer than Amoo in all aspects, except one - pace. The way his tackling and tracking runners improved last season I think he could end up playing further back.

15 minutes ago, JRC said:

I think he's a better footballer than Amoo in all aspects, except one - pace. The way his tackling and tracking runners improved last season I think he could end up playing further back.

Not sure I would agree at this point in time. Amoo also has the advantage of experience. And a bit more physical presence, Browne is slight, Amoo is quite a big bloke. So not surprised Askey still had Amoo down #1 in that position. This is not slagging off Browne. He has potential. Hope both sign up.

Edited by toyahw

i think Amoo shows glimpses in games of what he can do. he sometimes lets fullbacks off the hook. he can be terrorising his defender one half but doesn’t have the killer instinct to really kill his defender off and lets him regain confidence and get back in to their game. in other words he’s too nice. we need 2 strikers a CM and LB and possible CB if smith leaves. we wait and see other retained lists to see who we can pick up 

On 19/05/2020 at 16:23, Guitar Ray said:

👍🏻  McKirdy can knob off.  There’ll be decent players with better attitudes.

I know Harry and a few of his family through my job and he actually is a good lad. Hes young and fiery but there is nothing wrong with his attitude. If he did sign for us which he probably wouldn't you would change your mind quickly. 

He isnt from Trent Vale either Doha he is from Trentham. Not even the end close to Vegas. 

11 hours ago, WV said:

I know Harry and a few of his family through my job and he actually is a good lad. Hes young and fiery but there is nothing wrong with his attitude. If he did sign for us which he probably wouldn't you would change your mind quickly. 

Not according to Carlisle supporters on twitter, classed as the best player at the club .....but unprofessional, contemptuous of the supporters. not the type of character we need, disrespectful,  I could go on, that's from supporters about their leading goal scorer, after seeing his behaviour at Crewe I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Vale.

Incidentally he's 23 so it's time he grew up.

Edited by Mario

12 hours ago, WV said:

You're absolutely correct, I would change my mind quickly.  Not for the reasons you give, but simply that I will back anyone who puts on the black and white jersey 110%.  However, currently he's not one of our players, so I'll reiterate what I said previously, he can knob off.  As good, or bad, as McKirdy may be there WILL be decent players with BETTER attitudes available this summer.

• Like 1

A big part of the reason why we suddenly looked a decent side this season is because of the overall squad mentality and attitude. The players all go on about what a good dressing room it is at the club now - and someone like McKirdy for all of his talent could ruin that. Part of the reason why Liverpool have been so good under Klopp over the last couple of years isn't just because of the ability within the squad but because of the mentality at the club that's installed by him and the players. When you think about the likes of Henderson, Milner and Alexander-Arnold you think of outstanding professionals who set an example every time they train. Henderson and especially Milner weren't blessed with tons of natural ability at birth - Both have had to work like troopers throughout their careers to improve and be where they are today as men and footballers. I see something similar now at Vale with the likes of Brown, Legge and Joyce - Proper pro's who set a good example. You can now add Tom Pope to that too. He's grown up a lot and you can only respect him for that as he himself would agree that he was no saint when he was starting out his career.

Edited by TylerB

Not sure about your last bit Tyler .

Pope grown up ? How many bans has he had last season and also took the shine off Man City as it was all about his spat with Stones. Good points made otherwise. 

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

A big part of the reason why we suddenly looked a decent side this season is because of the overall squad mentality and attitude. The players all go on about what a good dressing room it is at the club now - and someone like McKirdy for all of his talent could ruin that. Part of the reason why Liverpool have been so good under Klopp over the last couple of years isn't just because of the ability within the squad but because of the mentality at the club that's installed by him and the players. When you think about the likes of Henderson, Milner and Alexander-Arnold you think of outstanding professionals who set an example every time they train. Henderson and especially Milner weren't blessed with tons of natural ability at birth - Both have had to work like troopers throughout their careers to improve and be where they are today as men and footballers. I see something similar now at Vale with the likes of Brown, Legge and Joyce - Proper pro's who set a good example. You can now add Tom Pope to that too. He's grown up a lot and you can only respect him for that as he himself would agree that he was no saint when he was starting out his career.

I am not sure you have got it quite right on Tom Pope ! 🙂

1 hour ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Has that last FA charge with Pope gone away now, or is it still lurking in the background - could he even start the new season (whenever that might be) with a lengthy ban?

I was wondering the same. It's all gone quiet on the last charge.

On 21/05/2020 at 09:19, WV said:

He isnt from Trent Vale either Doha he is from Trentham. Not even the end close to Vegas. 

I was brought up in Newcastle under Lyme, had a house in Trent Vale, then another in Trentham and have lived on the Wirral for 32 years. I don't feel there is any meaningful differential in the context of becoming a Port Vale supporter between someone who lives in Trent Vale v Trentham. In so far as there is any benefit from Stoke City relocating, well the closure of Hem Heath colliery brought an end to subsidence risk in Trentham, so the overall redevelopment, aside from is post industrial aspects, was beneficial.