9 hours ago, Joe B said:

6/7 signed, ensuring stability when most clubs will see mass turnover. Excellent.

I think Smith will go but we got promoted from this level with John McCombe, Clayton McDonald, Darren Purse, and Liam Chilvers; all decent defenders but nothing spectacular. I trust we will find an able replacement.

Yes a steady eddie Centre half will be easier to find than that elusive goalscorer.

I'd imagine JA already has a back up list of potentials in case Smith as it appears flies the nest.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair when you've got Scotty Brown it's a big ask to challenge for the #1 spot. I too would also like to send my best wishes for the future to all the released players. Particularly Ryan Llo

I think you're being very harsh. We have looked after him but he has also played his part by being a model professional for six years and being great for the Vale on and off the field. There's plenty

Johnny Maddison on Twitter.  Best of luck to you for the future Johnny 🤞🏻

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Doha said:

Was the deadline today? If he wants to go after all the support he gets sod him. I don't have much time for players stringing clubs along no matter who they are. 

Bit harsh mate. These are strange times so you could argue stay put and be grateful for what you have but Smith would be mad not to see what else is about. 

Who knows he may have the opportunity in League one at a Sunderland, Ipswich etc , is he good enough? I'd say probably he is. 

The only thing i do hope is it is sorted quickly and doesn't be something that drags like Mark Marshall that time.

• Like 3

At the end of the day as Vale fans (long suffering) we all know that in the big scheme of things we are a smaller club and have never been able to compete on money and wages with the bigger boys. The frustration is that we don't get big fees any more if players run down their contracts. 

I'd like Smith here. He improved for me last season and looked a bit more assured and better on the ball. He's always been a tenacious, battler and man marker. But, I agree, defenders are easier to replace than goalscorers and creative midfield players. Those two positions are the very tough ones to fill.

I was mortified when we lost Horton. And Brooker and Jones and Beckford and Taylor and Earle - but we got fees for them. McPhee was the annoying one because he was so good and left for nowt to go abroad. And to be frank its great to see lads doing well higher up after learning their trade here. I always watched those boys with great pride and never failed to tell everyone that we at Port Vale taught them all they know! Mark Bright was another. 

Good luck to Smith if he gets a good move and a bigger pay packet and a chance at a higher level. If not, we'll gladly keep him and continue to improve ourselves.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Bit harsh mate. These are strange times so you could argue stay put and be grateful for what you have but Smith would be mad not to see what else is about. 

Who knows he may have the opportunity in League one at a Sunderland, Ipswich etc , is he good enough? I'd say probably he is. 

The only thing i do hope is it is sorted quickly and doesn't be something that drags like Mark Marshall that time.

Askey has been negotiating with Smith on signing a new deal since at least December. It was reported in the news before Christmas. 

Seven bloody months is rather a long time of seeing what else is about. 

If you're going to jump ship then get on with it.

Exactly right, we don't want a Marshall scenario again. Dragging it out forever and past the contract deadline under radio silence really annoys me. 

Edited by Doha

20 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Burton don't have a manager at the moment do they?  Unless Smith was a target before  Clough left. 

Yes they appointed someone really young from within the club 

Jake Buxton, player manager 

Edited by darren1810
Additional text

6 hours ago, For Us All said:

Good luck to Smudger wherever he ends up.Burton are rumoured to be favourites at the moment?

Burton wouldn’t be a career move, and the ground only holds about 7000.

Edited by Conrad

8 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Would not surprise me if Clough returned once the season restarts.

My thoughts exactly, he only left to reduce the wage bill during lockdown.

Burton might not be a glamour club but it's a clear step up. A higher league and a bigger wage. And he could stay local. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if they or Shrewsbury or BR or Lincoln showed an interest.

No-one heard anything yet? It is 17th today. Has the deadline passed?

43 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Burton might not be a glamour club but it's a clear step up. A higher league and a bigger wage. And he could stay local. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if they or Shrewsbury or BR or Lincoln showed an interest.

No-one heard anything yet? It is 17th today. Has the deadline passed?

Lincoln might be a good shout as they released Bostwick who was a regular 

Imagine after our defending twice against them in their two visits to Vale Park the last season they wouldn't be touching our centre halves with a barge pole!

Burton is one of those, could easily overtake them in 12 months time.

Would be nice to see confirmation the other 6 have actually signed though rather than just agreed.

17 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

5"  shorter though, could be against him.

What holds Smith back a little is height and pace, he has all the other attributes to play higher.

He's a scrapper and a marker but does lack a bit of height to compete against the big strong boys like Rhead, where you need a Hazell or a Swan to subdue those bustling types.

I thought he improved a lot on the ground this season but still isn't great with the ball at his feet and is light years away from being a Dean Glover.

We've all got different opinions on the matter and it'll be interesting to see if anyone bites or he stays with us.