6 minutes ago, ethan and archies dad said:

I doubt if its true but Stoke pay their 19/20 year old right back £40k a week and Shawcross closer to £100k, so lets be honest if they come in for him and he sits in the reserves he is going to be set for life

Think that is a bit far fetched to be honest, although they do have a ridiculous wage budget for the Championship. I’d imagine Shawcross is on between £30k -£50k a week depending on what the reduction was after relegation. 

Just now, Boslem's Brazil said:

Think that is a bit far fetched to be honest, although they do have a ridiculous wage budget for the Championship. I’d imagine Shawcross is on between £30k -£50k a week depending on what the reduction was after relegation. 

fact trust me 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Brisley is a more than adequate for this league with championship and league 1 experience.

sign a cheap backup and use the extra money we were offering him to increase the budget for a goal scorer, or towards getting Mitch Clark back.

Could Adam Crookes step up and take his chance!! He his 18 months younger slightly taller / heavier than Nathan, just a thought. He never really got a chance at c/back, then seemed to lose his way after his injury, up the Vale, what I want my Saturdays back 

2 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I guess in a £50m a year wage budget it’s possible. Just mind boggling if true. 

Total madness but that is the going preimership rate I guess. Shawcross has a clause he has to be top earner as well 

5 minutes ago, ethan and archies dad said:

Total madness but that is the going preimership rate I guess. Shawcross has a clause he has to be top earner as well 

How many years of parachute payments have they got? I’m pretty sure next season is their last one. Surely they will run into problems with FFP?  

Funny how he’s being dismissed as an average player or only league one quality just because he hasn’t signed a deal. Don’t forget we are a league two side and we need players like him to build on and around. We saw last season what a good partnership he formed with Legge and Smith got better and had a really good season IMO. Virtually ever present and chipped in with a handful of goals too, that shouldn’t be underestimated. Of course we may get someone to replace him who’s as good, but we’re potentially losing a vital cog in what Askey is building.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, bycarspete said:

Could Adam Crookes step up and take his chance!! He his 18 months younger slightly taller / heavier than Nathan, just a thought. He never really got a chance at c/back, then seemed to lose his way after his injury, up the Vale, what I want my Saturdays back 

No chance,. He's rubbish. He never found his way in the first place. Bloody dreadful LB and no way capable of playing in a two at CB. Totally duff in the air. Maybe as one of a three at a push? Seen all his games mate and I don't like to say it but he is one of, if not the, worst players on our books. Based on past performance.

He's really bad at everything to be honest. 

Edited by toyahw

33 minutes ago, bycarspete said:

Yes, I think Adam Crookes needs to be given a chance a centre half. He served time at left back and did OK for a player not natural to the position. I think he is at the same level of distribution as Smith but bigger build. Can't look past Smith's games played and that is a big reason to keep him if we can. Looks like I don't agree with Toyahw. Sorry.

Edited by Warren

10 minutes ago, toyahw said:

No chance,. He's rubbish. He never found his way in the first place. Bloody dreadful LB and no way capable of playing in a two at CB. Totally duff in the air. Maybe as one of a three at a push? Seen all his games mate and I don't like to say it but he is one of, if not the, worst players on our books. Based on past performance.

Guess we have needed a new boo boy since Lloyd left... pile on lads!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Guess we have needed a new boo boy since Lloyd left... pile on lads!! 

No that is the next but 10 levels of badness. I just see a player who needs time to develop in his preferred position. I remember one game with Lloyd where he did everything wrong and I will never forget it. He couldn't even manage to stand in a sensible place defensively and made runs the wrong way. It was like he was new to a football pitch and a ball. 

Edited by Warren

11 minutes ago, toyahw said:

That’s very harsh. He’s far most adept with the ball at his feet for a CH than Smith. His tackling seems fine, but I’m not sure of his aerial prowess. I’m not saying he is definitely the answer, but I wouldn’t be so quick to write him off. 

• Like 1

Funny how he’s being dismissed as an average player or only league one quality just because he hasn’t signed a deal. Don’t forget we are a league two side and we need players like him to build on and around. We saw last season what a good partnership he formed with Legge and Smith got better and had a really good season IMO. Virtually ever present and chipped in with a handful of goals too, that shouldn’t be underestimated. Of course we may get someone to replace him who’s as good, but we’re potentially losing a vital cog in what Askey is building.

Exactly, him and Pope are just about the only reason we are still in the football league.

He's played 150+ league games, has hardly been out of our first team in 5 years and is still only 24.

We are on an upwards curve for the first time in his vale career. He will be an enormous loss coming into the new season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

That’s very harsh. He’s far most adept with the ball at his feet for a CH than Smith. His tackling seems fine, but I’m not sure of his aerial prowess. I’m not saying he is definitely the answer, but I wouldn’t be so quick to write him off. 

No he isn't. The only vaguely decent games I've seen him play were under Aspin as the left of three CB's.  I'm not writing him off. Maybe he'll come back better. But based on his Vale performances to date I wouldn't be betting my house on it.

A long shot. Definitely not one to rely on to walk into a decent team. 

• Like 1

On past recent form you wouldn't say that Crookes would be one of our centre halves for the kick-off. I too thought he was decent at times on the left of a back three under Aspin but at left back he was a bit in and out and not great at getting forward. That said he is a young lad and he was playing in a rubbish team and had a few injuries. He might be better for the experience and return stronger and wiser. Who knows? But on paper it would be Legge and Brisley who impressed me greatly after Xmas when he got his chance. I was worried about him because he hadn't played many games but he came in and did really well I thought. I would imagine that Crookes would be an alternative left back (to Monty) or a central defender in emergencies. But it's Askey who gets paid for making these decisions, not me.

It's all about opinions and that's how it should be on a football forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I don't think labelling a player 'a good player in a division higher than us' is dismissing him. In fact, it's a big compliment considering he's played one season at that level and got relegated. No one has called him average. 

In fact, I've seen no one dismiss him at all. Simply that, as centre halves go, he's replaceable (we went up with McDonald, Chilvers, McCombe, and Purse). There's a fair few decent centre halves out of contract (George Taft, Krystian Pearce, Cameron Burgess, Rory McArdle, Farrend Rawson to name a few), and that's just from League 2 clubs.

The only issue is is that he's now had 6 months to decide and still can't give a firm answer. Apart from that, cheers for the service and hope he does well.

Edited by Joe B

23 minutes ago, toyahw said:

No he isn't. The only vaguely decent games I've seen him play were under Aspin as the left of three CB's.  I'm not writing him off. Maybe he'll come back better. But based on his Vale performances to date I wouldn't be betting my house on it.

A long shot. Definitely not one to rely on to walk into a decent team. 

I could be completely wrong here but he seems like one of those defenders who isn’t big enough and nasty enough to be a centre half and too immobile to be a left back. Preseason will be when he gets his chance to prove himself I think. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I don't think labelling a player 'a good player in a division higher than us' is dismissing him. In fact, it's a big compliment considering he's played one season at that level and got relegated. No one has called him average. 

In fact, I've seen no one dismiss him at all. Simply that, as centre halves go, he's replaceable (we went up with McDonald, Chilvers, McCombe, and Purse).

The only issue is is that he's now had 6 months to decide and still can't give a firm answer. Apart from that, cheers for the service and hope he does well.

Just read through page ten and how good and consistent he’s been for us had been quickly dismissed and forgotten about. The reality is that if clubs higher up rate him and want him then we have no chance of competing with them. Of course we may still be able to get a decent replacement. I’m not completely convinced that within the squad that Brisley and Crookes are adequate replacements so we’ll have to buy someone. We should have been prepared for his leaving long before now, the fact he hadn’t signed the contract speaks volumes. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I could be completely wrong here but he seems like one of those defenders who isn’t big enough and nasty enough to be a centre half and too immobile to be a left back. Preseason will be when he gets his chance to prove himself I think. 

I don't want to bash the guy mate.  I'm not a boo boy. I hope it all comes good. But on the evidence I have seen he's lacking in all departments and to be honest a conference player at best. Now please do not get me wrong, I would love him to be a great success at Vale. I'd love to have eat my words.  But I would not have him pencilled in as a direct swap for Smithy. Brisly can come in there as he showed. 

But we'd need a solid bloke to come in next to Legge as cover. Can be done. But Crookes is not that man at this time. In my opinion.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheSage said:

On past recent form you wouldn't say that Crookes would be one of our centre halves for the kick-off. I too thought he was decent at times on the left of a back three under Aspin but at left back he was a bit in and out and not great at getting forward. That said he is a young lad and he was playing in a rubbish team and had a few injuries. He might be better for the experience and return stronger and wiser. Who knows? But on paper it would be Legge and Brisley who impressed me greatly after Xmas when he got his chance. I was worried about him because he hadn't played many games but he came in and did really well I thought. I would imagine that Crookes would be an alternative left back (to Monty) or a central defender in emergencies. But it's Askey who gets paid for making these decisions, not me.

It's all about opinions and that's how it should be on a football forum.

Very true Sage. Very true. Would not argue with a word you said there mate.