Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Another disappointing result. Game drifted in the second half and can't complain too much about the result. For all of our possesion we didn't test their keeper bar the goals.

Number 20 excellent (again) for them.

Positives - up to 7th, Clark (who is a class above) back next week, a tasty away game that could cement us in the top 7, unbeaten in 7, and 4th best record over the last 10 games.

See you all at the Jonny Rocks Stadium.

He made 2 changes and we didnt close out.

To basically say it will be his fault if we dont make the playoffs due to his lack of subs is so far from the mark of reality it beggars belief.  Its John Askeys fault we are sitting in a play off spot at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Nofinikea said:

To basically say it will be his fault if we dont make the playoffs due to his lack of subs is so far from the mark of reality it beggars belief.  Its John Askeys fault we are sitting in a play off spot at all.

This is the correct take.

You can't ignore Askey getting us to the playoffs, and then blame him for missing out, like he was gifted a top 7 finish and contrives to throw it away.

He brought on Pope and Oyeleke, two good League 2 players. Legge's inability to track his man has no correlation with Rhys Browne/Jake Taylor not entering the field of play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Don’t think anyone is saying that. But if we’d made a third change near the end, take a bit of sting out the game and allow the players to re-set, it might just have seen us other the line.

Can I just add a negative against some of our fickle fan base 

In the 5 minutes after their first equaliser we got quite tetchy in the stands instead of an outpouring of support to get back at it 

Conlon over hit a ball out for a goal kick, howls of derision, Montano then inexplicably passed to the right wing instead of Worrall who was totally free . Few boos . And then the coup de grace a move between Amoo and Gibbons where Gibbons back heeled it straight to them was met with boos.

Unbelievable, fickle and embarrassing. Please someone say that they heard it too so that I know I'm not going mad 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

In the 5 minutes after their first equaliser we got quite tetchy in the stands instead of an outpouring of support to get back at it 

Conlon over hit a ball out for a goal kick, howls of derision, Montano then inexplicably passed to the right wing instead of Worrall who was totally free . Few boos . And then the coup de grace a move between Amoo and Gibbons where Gibbons back heeled it straight to them was met with boos.

Unbelievable, fickle and embarrassing. Please someone say that they heard it too so that I know I'm not going mad 

Embarrassing... and I bet they were kids? There are a bunch on twitter who seem to think they are funny and clever despite being neither.

We were 2-1 up when he sacrificed Cullen for Monty to supposedly shore up the midfield. Also Taylor hasn't played since Man City. The only other option was Crookes who hasn't played since God only knows. 

I thought the subs were spot on today and you can't legislate for the calamity goal at the end

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

How about we stop bringing Oyeleke on until he's actually close to being match fit? It would make more sense if we had nothing to play for.

How would he get match fit if he doesn’t play any matches.

For some unknown reason I never felt we would win today. Should have been out of sight by half time, but never felt settled and the end was no shock. Askey is the manager and knows best I am not jumping on the 'late subs' bandwagon.

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Shocks me how hot and cold our fanbase is; when the teams playing well, they're noisy and positive. When the teams not, its silent and negative.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Shocks me how hot and cold our fanbase is; when the teams playing well, they're noisy and positive. When the teams not, its silent and negative.

Just like at every other club.

• Like 2

Just now, Biddulph_PV said:

Just like at every other club.

Is it really? I wouldn't know. Sometimes, like today, when things were flat second half, the players needed lifting, but it always feels like the fans feed of the player's performance, and not vice versa.

Maybe it is common. Would just be nice to not sit in silence when the Vale aren't dominating.

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

It's easier to play in the stands than it is on the pitch, particularly in a swirling wind!!!!

• Like 1

This argument makes one massive assumption. That bringing on substitutes always works regardless of who they are or the situation. This is patently untrue.

Sometimes they work sometimes they don’t. Likewise not changing the team sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t. 
It’s a gamble the manager takes and by definition you don’t always win when you gamble otherwise I wouldn’t have spent 40odd years going to work I’d be in the bookies and the Coates family would be skint.

I

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Conrad said:

How would he get match fit if he doesn’t play any matches.

Reserve games? Behind closed doors games? How is 10 minutes here and there going to get him match fit? He's the kind of player that needs half an hour to start his engine. Complete waste of a sub at the moment.

• Like 1

Frustrating result in the end. I thought after the first 5 mins we played some really good stuff and deservedly took the lead and probably deserved a 2nd goal with Conlon spraying passes and Amoo + Worrall both having the beating of their respective full backs. After Cullen got injured it changed. Cullen stopped working so Conlon and Burgess were doing more and more of his work when pressing and as a result Scunthorpe got more and more space in midfield and it allowed them to get a foothold in the game. As a result they finished the half strongly and continued this into the second half.
I'm a big Askey fan and I really like Cullen but it was clear after his treatment in the first half that he was knackered and less sharp. It shouldnt take until after 75 mins to change him for an alternative.
Finally, Brown really should come and collect that cross for their 2nd goal. It was in the air for an age and should just be routine for a player of his experience and ability. This following a really poor error for Walsalls 1st last week means that, as harsh as it sounds, those errors for cost us 2 wins and an additional 4 points. He's been a fantastic keeper for us however it would be good to see a genuine competitor for his place next season as I believe that keeps everybody sharp and pushes everybody to be at there best.
As disappointing as it was to miss out on 3 points it keeps the unbeaten run going and we have moved back into the play-off spots. Keep the faith. UTV!

Why do people here think we have a God given right to beat teams? Yes, we were at home which is an advantage, and it's always disappointing to lose the lead not only once but twice. But they have a good side, on paper if nothing else, and are clearly much better than their league position suggests. We had an awful second half after playing well enough in the first but still got something from the game and one point more than a few of those around us. The conditions were appalling and no doubt played a significant part for both sides in each half today.

The constant late goals conceeded is a concern, but in comparison to what we've had to be concerned about over the last few years it's not something to completely lose our <ovf censored> about, and can certainly be improved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1