Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

Yep Crookes did get targeted Saturday but arguably their best player, Ogbu, played down the Vale's left and there didn't seem to be any cover/help in front of Crookes.  Something for Askey to think about.

Well cambridge are 4 0 down after 30 minutes against Swansea. No extra time then to drain their players!

Yep Crookes did get targeted Saturday but arguably their best player, Ogbu, played down the Vale's left and there didn't seem to be any cover/help in front of Crookes.  Something for Askey to think about.

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

Well cambridge are 4 0 down after 30 minutes against Swansea. No extra time then to drain their players!

No extra time anyway, would have gone straight to penalties. No Marc Richards in their squad tonight, are they saving him for us? The good news is that Swansea made 11 changes from Saturday and still won easily.

It will be interesting to see Hannant vs Conlon. Similar kind of players but I think we got rid of the wrong one. We'll see. If Monty is fit I guess we'll be back to FGR 11. Let's hope they do same again.

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Hannant is a headless chicken, Conlon has great technical ability IMHO

Conlon is one footed and mostly anonymous. Hannant puts in a shift lacks quality. We'll see. Neither are any great shakes.

If you watch him closely, he isn't that one footed, he takes little touches with his right foot when dribbling but only shoots and crosses with his left. He isn't as obvious as Hannant but he does have more end product I think. As you say, it will be interesting to see how it goes on Saturday. 

I don’t get the comparison between Hannant and Conlon, they are different players and don’t play the same role. I’m sure Hannant will be doing plenty of running, plenty of diving and I’m sure he’ll get a few crosses in too. I think he played left wing back last weekend. 

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I don’t get the comparison between Hannant and Conlon, they are different players and don’t play the same role. I’m sure Hannant will be doing plenty of running, plenty of diving and I’m sure he’ll get a few crosses in too. I think he played left wing back last weekend. 

Hannant played wide and central for us. Conlon has only played central. It's not a big beef, just curious how it works out Sat. I'd have kept Hannant and released Conlon (unless there were issues with Hannant?). But 50/50 about it. So just curious to see how it pans out.

Edited by toyahw

Well.  your only as good as your last game and judging by that changes aplenty should’be made but won’t because the replacing players are not ready .

For me out goes Smith .

In comes Kennedy or Crookes to be moved to Smiths position and Ryan Gordon Campbell gets the nod at left back. 

If monty is fit then he comes back in with Pope .

Id give Burgess a shirt so we can play Worrall with Gibbons so that means Conlon to be dropped or Joyce .

Pope can play aside Cullen so that means we can go 3 at the back if Kennedy not ready .

So my team 

Brown 

Gibbons. Legge Crookes Camp

Worrall Joyce Burgess Monty 

Amoo Pope 

Or  

Brown Gibbons Kennedy Crookes Monty Worrall Joyce Amoo Cullen Pope Bennett 

37 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Hannant played wide and central for us. Conlon has only played central. It's not a big beef, just curious how it works out Sat. I'd have kept Hannant and released Conlon (unless there were issues with Hannant?). But 50/50 about it. So just curious to see how it pans out.

Fair enough. Personally I think Conlon is a better centre midfielder than Hannant, I think he’s much more disciplined positionally and better on the ball. Did he play many times in the centre for us? I don’t recall too many. Basically we’ve swapped him for Amoo, I know who I’d rather have. 

27 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Fair enough. Personally I think Conlon is a better centre midfielder than Hannant, I think he’s much more disciplined positionally and better on the ball. Did he play many times in the centre for us? I don’t recall too many. Basically we’ve swapped him for Amoo, I know who I’d rather have. 

He played a few times central and was rubbish. Which was a bit odd, because he looked like he should be better central. He's got no pace. Him for Amoo, depends whether we are on the front foot or back foot. Amoo was excellent vs FGR but vs Grimsby we'd have been better off with Hannant.

45 minutes ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

Well.  your only as good as your last game and judging by that changes aplenty should’be made but won’t because the replacing players are not ready .

For me out goes Smith .

In comes Kennedy or Crookes to be moved to Smiths position and Ryan Gordon Campbell gets the nod at left back. 

Id give Burgess a shirt so we can play Worrall with Gibbons so that means Conlon to be dropped or Joyce .

Pope can play aside Cullen so that means we can go 3 at the back if Kennedy not ready .

You’ve never really liked Smith have you? Well it’s one thing that I agree with you about. Every time he gets the ball, it either goes into touch or back to the opposition. He’s also a bit of a jinx in my opinion as Torquay had a terrible season when he was there on loan and the last three seasons since he came into the Vale team have seen us relegated and two of our lowest ever finishes in the league. However, not many seem to share our view.

10 minutes ago, pjg1876 said:

You’ve never really liked Smith have you? Well it’s one thing that I agree with you about. Every time he gets the ball, it either goes into touch or back to the opposition. He’s also a bit of a jinx in my opinion as Torquay had a terrible season when he was there on loan and the last three seasons since he came into the Vale team have seen us relegated and two of our lowest ever finishes in the league. However, not many seem to share our view.

Well I don't. He's one of our best players. Good player Smudge, Blaming him for our demise is  frankly beyond ridiculous.

• Like 4

Results to date reflect where we are.

3, surprisingly solid performances, followed by an excellent performance, and then Grimsby!

Not unlike last season, our first choices can compete well and look more capable of scoring goals.

Go beyond that and the cracks begin to show.

Given the lack of depth, the season will turn on injuries.

I think there will be many ups and downs, as would be expected given where we are as a club.

Looking forward to the game and hoping for a good performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

For me out goes Smith .

So my team 

Brown 

Amoo Pope 

Or  

When will you get over your Smith out obsession.

He is probably one of the most consistent performers this year (and last)

He is Also one of the few players we could sell on tha higher level for decent money.

Grow up and accept you are wrong.

2 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

For me out goes Smith .

So my team 

Brown 

Amoo Pope 

Or  

I can't believe I've read all of that post ...............................................

• Haha 2