Jump to content
Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Iron Curtain

Players in and Out

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

This is the problem, he has attributes our others do not. A bit of physical presence, the ability to takes us ten yards further up the pitch, burst into the box (e.g. the Colchester pen). The stats don't lie. In the league with Manny P30 W10 D11 L 9, average 1.37 points per game. Without P18 W2 D4 L12, average 0.55 points per game.

We have not won a game Manny did not start under Askey.

I guess Burgess, on paper, looks the most likely like for like replacement if we don't bring someone in in that role.

From what I saw in pre-season Burgess is nothing like Manny.  He’s more like the other midfielders in build and style of play.

At the moment it’s looking like we need a CH to replace Rawlinson, a powerful attacking midfielder to cover for Manny and I still feel we need another striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, JRC said:

 

It's very easy spend 800 pounds a week of other people's money, much harder when it's your own. He  doesn't fill the same midfield role as Oyeleke so he isn't a like for like replacement. A midfield 3 containing Joyce and Grant isn't going to offer much support for the forward line.

True point but it is a good time to remember we were giving Louis Dodds £900 a week for his loan last year. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2019 at 09:00, bycarspete said:

Yes a grant or griff kind of player, I like Manny when he is on the ball, but is work off the ball needs working on 

I'd like to see a hard-man midfielder come in, but to complement Manny and Conlon rather than replace either of them. Let them focus on being creative rather than having to box-to-box it all the time. Manny is great but lets his man run past him far too much/easily so he needs to improve defensively for me.

I like Joyce and he's a trier but I just feel we need a bit more steel in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to be patient I think and recognise that Rome wasn't built in a day. 

In an ideal world, for me, our midfield three would be Oyeleke and two others - one a tough tackling defensive player (like Griffith) and the other a goal-scoring number ten (like a Terry Bailey). But, as I say, it takes time to improve the whole team after hitting rock bottom for the last 24 months.

I was encouraged on Saturday but do wonder where the goals are coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 12/08/2019 at 23:50, Guitar Ray said:

From what I saw in pre-season Burgess is nothing like Manny.  He’s more like the other midfielders in build and style of play.

At the moment it’s looking like we need a CH to replace Rawlinson, a powerful attacking midfielder to cover for Manny and I still feel we need another striker.

I agree with this. If Carol and Kevin can somehow finds extra funds, I believe three quality loan signings in these positions would give us a massive boost. Whitfield leaving would help with this.

It doesn’t appear Joyce has any competition, and we don’t have a replacement for Manny. We also lack raw pace up top. A Howkins style CH would also be idea. If we can address this before the window shuts, then hopefully we should start to get a few wins on the board.

I know it is a lot to ask, but I think these extra pieces in the jigsaw would be worth the extra investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kept on and on all summer about needing a natural left back for balance. People kept vociferously shooting me down.

"Montano can fill in there"

"Lloyd can play there"

Both + Crookes are not left backs. 

This is nothing against Crookes as he's just playing where his manager has asked him, but he just isn't a LB.

For all the players signed, we still need a LB and a replacement for Oyeleke - minimum.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2019 at 13:29, valeparklife said:

I kept on and on all summer about needing a natural left back for balance. People kept vociferously shooting me down.

"Montano can fill in there"

"Lloyd can play there"

Both + Crookes are not left backs. 

This is nothing against Crookes as he's just playing where his manager has asked him, but he just isn't a LB.

For all the players signed, we still need a LB and a replacement for Oyeleke - minimum.

Totally agree, what’s happened to Elliott Durrell? He might be a good replacement for Manny. Definitely need an experienced left back too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We need Ben Whitfield to do the decent thing and find another club. 

If only it was that easy RZ.  Already trialled at Cheltenham and not signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pjg1876 said:

Totally agree, what’s happened to Elliott Durrell? He might be a good replacement for Manny. Definitely need an experienced left back too.

Durrell is a different type of player and very injury prone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

If only it was that easy RZ.  Already trialled at Cheltenham and not signed.

He needs to accept that he doesn't play for Bournemouth any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We need Ben Whitfield to do the decent thing and find another club. 

I have no idea if Whitfield’s alleged off field activities are true or not, however Askey’s treatment of him would tend to indicate that he feels  it is. But to suggest that he himself needs to “do the decent thing” is a bit wide of the mark. 

You can have as many “good characters” in your squad as you like, but if they’re not good enough for the standard required, they are not going to improve the team.

I am not indicating that this alleged sort of behaviour should have a blind eye turned towards it but very few pro players, either old or new, could be described as “squeaky clean”

Inside the last decade we all knew of Gary Roberts’ “problems” but accepted it as he was a decent player.

To me, Whitfield is one player we have who can make a difference on the field. I see very few others who can.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Watch Port Vale Videos

  • Advert




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy