Iron Curtain

Players in and Out

48 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'd have reservations despite his performance against us.

Be almost a throwback to a Bruno signing.

European journeyman with just 2 appearances for Reading.

'Just 2 appearances for Reading' would have been a journeyman compared to the dross Smurthwaite bought off that pop salesman.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

...Be almost a throwback to a Bruno signing...

As a matter of interest, which of Bruno's signings was as a result of how he played against us?

7 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

He looked a long way off being fit to me, could have done with losing a bit of timber. 

Yet he has been described as MOTM and "Excellent"? Might be some player if he can get fit? Hasn't played a lot of pro games for a 25 yr old. Could be worth a look, at least? 

Edited by LancyTony
spelling

5 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Yet he has been described as MOTM and "Excellent"? Might be some player if he can get fit? Hasn't played a lot of pro games for a 25 yr old. Could be worth a look, at least? 

Can we really afford take the gamble and hope he can make it at our level, whilst in the meantime be waiting for him to play catch up in terms of fitness and his weight though?

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LancyTony said:

As a matter of interest, which of Bruno's signings was as a result of how he played against us?

None but i'm sure you got what i meant.

It would be an awful signing based on a friendly, his track record and the fact friendlies are deceiving. I could probably have stood out that game.

He might not be the right match, but I would like to see some strength added to the midfield - a Griff mould, who could cover Joyce and centre half, and offer something different in there if needed.

On paper he might fit that bill but, as others have said, despite playing well he did look a little overweight.

I've said it before but I'm a bit surprised too that we haven't said we need another midfielder as opposed to a forward. I'm still finding it quite hard to see who will replace Oyeleke when he's out and I'd like a bigger physical presence in there at times. 

But CR leaving must mean that we'll bring in at least one more player. Whitfield? What's his current situation?

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

I've said it before but I'm a bit surprised too that we haven't said we need another midfielder as opposed to a forward. I'm still finding it quite hard to see who will replace Oyeleke when he's out and I'd like a bigger physical presence in there at times. 

But CR leaving must mean that we'll bring in at least one more player. Whitfield? What's his current situation?

I think its left to Ben,he can either move but despite some thinking he is fantastic he doesn't appear to have any interest from clubs..... or sit on his last year of his contract and take his money

12 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Can we really afford take the gamble...

I didn't say  take a gamble on him! My exact words were "could be worth a look?" - get him in on trial to assess him properly...make any decision based on proper procedure rather than the impact of a single friendly game? Do it properly, instead of Smurtherly!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darren1810 said:

None but i'm sure you got what i meant.

It would be an awful signing based on a friendly, his track record and the fact friendlies are deceiving. I could probably have stood out that game.

No - I didn't! Not when you say one thing while meaning something else! As I've just pointed out, I wasn't suggesting signing him...just having a proper look at him as we should all players. He's a good age and a free agent - why not look at him?.

7 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I didn't say  take a gamble on him! My exact words were "could be worth a look?" - get him in on trial to assess him properly...make any decision based on proper procedure rather than the impact of a single friendly game? Do it properly, instead of Smurtherly!

Just relax a bit, I’m not putting words in to your mouth at all. Hear me out....

There’s a player there thats got to lose (what looks like) a lot of weight and get fit. Why take the gamble (and time) on that happening when there must be players out there ahead of him in that regard and ready to go and hit the ground running? With such a small squad we can’t afford to have players playing catch up with fitness.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

No - I didn't! Not when you say one thing while meaning something else! As I've just pointed out, I wasn't suggesting signing him...just having a proper look at him as we should all players. He's a good age and a free agent - why not look at him?.

My words were ' be a throwback to a Bruno signing ' . By that I meant a random signing with experience in bizarre European leagues as good as The Ansells League. 

I realise Bruno didn't sign anyone based on a performance against us but my opinion and only my opinion is that a friendly against a Mish mash Bury assortment is not a good gauge however well he played. I don't attend friendlies but from what I have read Vale were quite disinterested for long parts 

Really didn't want to have to spend forever debating a suggestion - my name's not ernie! But I have to say - at this stage of the transfer window, the likelihood is that the fittest players may have already got fixed up with clubs, leaving the non-match-fit, perhaps overweight players who, maybe haven't played for half a season, or more, and have let themselves go a bit? CH is a position we could do with backup after CR moved on, fairly suddenly. Others have suggestd we need a DM/holding midfielder in the mould of Griff / Grant, etc - do you know many of those still not signed up? Great if you do...but there is NO gamble having a player in to assess his fitness and mental attitude..  

• Like 1

I suppose at this time of the season if you haven't got a club then you might not even be getting one. In that instance a player such as Danzell Gravenbirch might come and train with us with for no wages, just getting fit  and no commitment from us. If after a few weeks he looks worth a punt we sign him. Its a bit speculate to accumulate by the player but if no other options then nothing to lose but everything to gain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Askey today Saying he has made enquiries about an Experienced defender.

Jon Guthrie available.

Left Walsall at end of contract.

5 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

I suppose at this time of the season if you haven't got a club then you might not even be getting one. In that instance a player such as Danzell Gravenbirch might come and train with us with for no wages, just getting fit  and no commitment from us. If after a few weeks he looks worth a punt we sign him. Its a bit speculate to accumulate by the player but if no other options then nothing to lose but everything to gain.

5 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Always trust the man in the Pub to get the picture!!!

• Like 1