6 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Shakers home game against Gills is the latest to be postponed by the EFL. 

As much as I want Bury to survive, how much longer can this situation be allowed to continue ?

Just over a week and if not sorted thats it. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JRC said:

Not long ago a lot of posters were saying the Bury model was one to follow. If a deal gets done involving a lot of debt write down it will increase borrowing costs for all lower league clubs.

That’s correct. One of the biggest threats to lower league football apparently is players wages. That coupled with unscrupulous owners.

i don’t understand how the EFL can let this happen.

Many admonish the EFL for taking a hardline stance after approving Dale’s takeover, but as his ownership began mid-season, he didn't have to pass the ‘fit and proper person’ test and now runs the club entirely on his own.

Is this for real? I wonder how many chairman have used this loophole, knowing full well that they would not pass the test.

Apparently the Bury situation was discussed at an EFL meeting today and how to prevent it happening.  One suggestion was a points deduction every month that players weren't paid.  That might concentrate the minds a bit.

We've all seen this coming for a while - small club with small gates signing big name (high earning) players was never going to be sustainable. The same thing would happen at Salford/Mansfield/FGR if their wealthy owners stopped bankrolling.

It's the fans I feel sorry for though. It must be horrible for them to think their club could cease to exist.

We've all seen this coming for a while - small club with small gates signing big name (high earning) players was never going to be sustainable. The same thing would happen at Salford/Mansfield/FGR if their wealthy owners stopped bankrolling.

It's the fans I feel sorry for though. It must be horrible for them to think their club could cease to exist.

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Apparently the Bury situation was discussed at an EFL meeting today and how to prevent it happening.  One suggestion was a points deduction every month that players weren't paid.  That might concentrate the minds a bit.

Blimey, Macclesfield would be on quite a few negative points if that were to happen. 

While it's a fair suggestion I still think the bigger picture is how the FL manages the fit and proper person tests. I appreciate it's not a simple thing - after all it's tricky to stop someone who has paid out millions to buy a club acting like a basketcase - but it's surely time for the FL to at least consider what they can do to prevent dodgy/corrupt owners destroying clubs.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

On the face of it that sounds a good idea.

But generally these clubs have unscrupulous owners who don’t give two hoots about the football side of matters. They are purely in it for personal gain, so the docking of team points monthly may necessarily hurt the owner himself.

However this is not meant to “poo poo” the idea, but I just wonder how much influence this may have on owners whose only real interest is what goes into their back pocket.

I feel that more of a punishment should be placed on the owners themselves so any action taken affects them directly.

How you do that legally, I have no idea. But someone, somewhere will.

Issue with deductions is it is the fans and players who suffer not the owners and ultimately if teams get deducted points over everything then the league becomes less about the football ability.

The problem is that the league currently less about football ability and more about who breaks the FFP rules the most. Why should Bury have been promoted last year when they were guilty of serious financial cheating?

22 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Issue with deductions is it is the fans and players who suffer not the owners and ultimately if teams get deducted points over everything then the league becomes less about the football ability.

Perhaps if the league had been more alert they would have acted earlier, with perhaps a closer monitoring system, and would have deducted the points last season. After all they competed unfairly against the other L2 teams, otherwise someone else would have been promoted. Of course it is the fans that suffer, close and prompt action could reduce unfair advantage, but ultimately fines, points deductions, relegation, or expulsion are the only  sanctions to keep more clubs from trying to act outside the rules. The owners of course should be punished, fines, banning from involvement in football, etc apart from any criminal activities with their own penalties..

17 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Perhaps if the league had been more alert they would have acted earlier, with perhaps a closer monitoring system, and would have deducted the points last season. After all they competed unfairly against the other L2 teams, otherwise someone else would have been promoted. Of course it is the fans that suffer, close and prompt action could reduce unfair advantage, but ultimately fines, points deductions, relegation, or expulsion are the only  sanctions to keep more clubs from trying to act outside the rules. The owners of course should be punished, fines, banning from involvement in football, etc apart from any criminal activities with their own penalties..

All seems pointless, all that spending to go up when the very very best they can hope for is relegation back to League Two and more likely expulsion.

Why weren't the fans protesting and complaining when they were paying players ridiculous amounts?  

It's exactly the same situation as Portsmouth when they won the FA Cup. 

In both cases it was obvious where it would end but in both cases the fans just went along with it.

No sympathy.