onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vales new manager

yorky valiant

I think part of the problem is that Smurthwaite genuinely doesn't know what to do for the best and needs a bit of help.

It was heartening to hear that he has asked Phil Sproson for advice. If I were him I'd be looking to invite a few more people to form a small committee / interview panel.

I would agree with you but for one reason,if the small committee / interview panel come up with someone who isn't in Smurthwaites pay scale then it would be a waste of time,plus Smurthwaite likes to think he knows it all.

Advert

I would agree with you but for one reason,if the small committee / interview panel come up with someone who isn't in Smurthwaites pay scale then it would be a waste of time,plus Smurthwaite likes to think he knows it all.

He needs people there to explain to him the realities of running a football club.

There will be a lot of agents phoning him up and telling him who they think he should appoint.

I would invite a handful of football people, and one or two lay people who understand business and people management (Carol Shanahan perhaps?) who can sit down in a room and talk frankly with him, help him decide what he's looking for, and let him know what the market rate is for such a candidate, and generally speak truth to power.

The fans begged him for a CEO' date=' we appoint a very experienced football man to the job on a big salary (don’t believe it’s quite that big) but for me you don’t need a CEO if you have a very experienced Manager like Adams etc.[/quote']

Colin Garlick was appointed as club secretary, not CEO. He became CEO when Mr Smurthwaite took a step back. I very much doubt he had his salary trebled at that point.

If it was Nolan I wouldn’t be unhappy' date=' my second choice after Hurst of all the names mentioned.[/quote']

Suggests something is happening with Nolan that he’s actually quit his job so we will see.

Very much a manager who likes the physical and long ball game hopefully if he comes in he can get the best out of Pope.

If it was Nolan I wouldn’t be unhappy' date=' my second choice after Hurst of all the names mentioned.[/quote']

There was a short review,on Sky football,today,about Notts Co.Apart from £2 to get in for one match which attracted 15,000,the budget there has been £3 million this season.Looks like money well spent.

There was a short review,on Sky football,today,about Notts Co.Apart from £2 to get in for one match which attracted 15,000,the budget there has been £3 million this season.Looks like money well spent.

I think they made a huge mistake sacking Nolan, he kept them up season 1, got them to the play offs season 2 and then had a sticky spell at the start of this, 1 point from 15 I think and they binned him.

I suppose with such a huge budget expectation was high, once again a case of underperforming players costing a manager.

Archived