onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Popey Signs New Deal

maccapvfc

Advert

I

I have no problem with Tom.I have a problem with those who think he is God’s gift to Port Vale.Ask yourself the question.Should we be not looking for someone to sign who is young ,eager to do well and has a bit of pace? Instead we have given someone a new 2 year deal which means we will have a 36 year old to rely on.You’ve said it yourself the team isn’t firing.Why?The way we play possibly?

If Tom wasn’t a local lad would you be happy with a signing like that?We need movement up front and someone who fits into modern day football. A large chunk of next season’s budget has now gone.Will you be thanking the owner for your Christmas present? Maybe not.Merry Christmas Owd.

Where would we be now without Tom? I'll tell you near the foot of the Conference So in my book he is gods gift to Port Vale. I agree that we need a pacey striker but to play with Popey not to replace him because a nippy forward would benefit greatly from a Tom Pope who would provide plenty of knock downs and assists. Players like Tom who have great aerial ability can go on a lot longer than most players providing they look after themselves. Players lose pace but generally not aerial ability.

As an aside I was looking at the statistic that pointed out that one Thomas Pope had won more headers by a good margin than any other player in L2 and that includes defenders as well!

Yes Tom is 'god's gift' to Port Vale and I shudder to think where we would be without him because our version of 'scrooge' who owns us would never stump up the cash for a younger version. Come to think of it Akindi apart I can't think of a better striker in this division.

I

I have no problem with Tom.I have a problem with those who think he is God’s gift to Port Vale.Ask yourself the question.Should we be not looking for someone to sign who is young ,eager to do well and has a bit of pace? Instead we have given someone a new 2 year deal which means we will have a 36 year old to rely on.You’ve said it yourself the team isn’t firing.Why?The way we play possibly?

If Tom wasn’t a local lad would you be happy with a signing like that?We need movement up front and someone who fits into modern day football. A large chunk of next season’s budget has now gone.Will you be thanking the owner for your Christmas present? Maybe not.Merry Christmas Owd.

Your maths are a bit off there. 33+2 = 35, not 36. That is mathematics, objective, unarguable. Tom Pope is the the third highest scorer in Port Vale's history. He is a legend. Again, mathematics, unarguable. You can come up with as many complaints and criticisms of him as you like. He is a legend.

You can have your opinion that Pope isn't a legend. That's fine. It's just wrong, that's all. You might as well say you think we should go back to wearing the red and white stripes of the 1900-01 season. It's fine if you believe that, just know that you're wrong.

Your maths are a bit off there. 33+2 = 35, not 36. That is mathematics, objective, unarguable. Tom Pope is the the third highest scorer in Port Vale's history. He is a legend. Again, mathematics, unarguable. You can come up with as many complaints and criticisms of him as you like. He is a legend.

You can have your opinion that Pope isn't a legend. That's fine. It's just wrong, that's all. You might as well say you think we should go back to wearing the red and white stripes of the 1900-01 season. It's fine if you believe that, just know that you're wrong.

Opinions can’t be wrong in my opinion.What actually makes

a legend?

Where would we be now without Tom? I'll tell you near the foot of the Conference So in my book he is gods gift to Port Vale. I agree that we need a pacey striker but to play with Popey not to replace him because a nippy forward would benefit greatly from a Tom Pope who would provide plenty of knock downs and assists. Players like Tom who have great aerial ability can go on a lot longer than most players providing they look after themselves. Players lose pace but generally not aerial ability.

As an aside I was looking at the statistic that pointed out that one Thomas Pope had won more headers by a good margin than any other player in L2 and that includes defenders as well!

Yes Tom is 'god's gift' to Port Vale and I shudder to think where we would be without him because our version of 'scrooge' who owns us would never stump up the cash for a younger version. Come to think of it Akindi apart I can't think of a better striker in this division.

So you are quite happy crowing about how many headers he wins then you start a thread about how you should be manager.

Nobody plays the way we do,lump ball.How many headers have found the net this season?

Answer one fundamental question. Are you seriously saying Pope is a legend on the same level as Naylor?

Pope has scored more goals for the club than Naylor at a faster rate and has a higher goals per game ratio!

Putting aside the fact that the Pontiff is one of our own, scored the goals that got us promoted, Scored the goals that saved us from oblivion and has more passion than the rest of the team put together... the numbers alone show that he is more of a legend.

That is one point I will contest, we have nippy forwards but none of them have worked (certainly not Popeys fault) because instead of playing to feet we just lump it aimlessly in his direction and when nigh on every ball arrives at him as though dropped by a Gatwick drone, he hardly has a chance to flick it on to anyone, more so as there is rarely anyone near him to get on the end of such flicks, even if was able.

Not only that, the stat you refer is hardly a surprising one is it, as I have yet to see any team, certainly this season who plays as consistently direct as we do, and surely it's only because we play so many such balls, coupled with the unarguable fact that Tom is so good in the air, that its inevitable that he will win more than any other CF.

Stat wise though, I would be genuinely fascinated to know how many of those headers he wins end up at a team mates feet and or how many are simply cleared by another oppo CF. I fear the vast majority will be of the latter variety, and again you can't blame our talisman for that either.

To get the best out of our skipper we need to give him the ball to his feet or chest if only to allow him to bring others into play, and simultaneously we clearly need to get in a load more crosses for him from out wide. Neither of which we seem capable of doing.

No wonder he gets so frustrated!

Pope has scored more goals for the club than Naylor at a faster rate and has a higher goals per game ratio!

Putting aside the fact that the Pontiff is one of our own, scored the goals that got us promoted, Scored the goals that saved us from oblivion and has more passion than the rest of the team put together... the numbers alone show that he is more of a legend.

Also, let's consider that Naylor was playing at a higher standard. I don't really like the term "legend" to describe footballers, it is overused (think Americans use of the word "awesome"). But both have been excellent players for the Vale.

I known which one thinks most about Port Vale. Tony was a great servant but in my opinion Tom has done more for the Club and continues to do it.

So because he thinks about Vale as his club that guarantees him legend status? I thought a legend was a player who was consistent and continually making things happen on the park, whether scoring goals or not...take Ray Walker...he scored legendary goals that only Pope could dream of...where's the spectacular moments in Pope's career?

Answer- Very few and far between

Most of Pope's goals are either consolation goals/ headers. Where are the match winning performances apart from a handful from the 2012/13 season??

Archived