onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Popey Signs New Deal

maccapvfc

It's interesting that Pope hasn't managed to form any sort of partnership in the 18 months or so since he came back. Not a criticism of him but it does point to something being wrong somewhere,

As I posted on a thread about Miller in the summer, I doubted whether two “big” personalities like Pope and Miller would work.

Sadly, this would seem to be the case.

Advert

His signing will also encourage other players to sign contract extensions. They will know that there is a strong intention to build a team and to hold on to our better players. Good business by the Chairman and Manager and great timing.

Give over,"good business by the chairman".He'd have been lynched if he hadn't sanctioned a new deal.

Pope has certainly done well in his time at the Vale. That is beyond doubt.

But a legend ?

Did he not leave us for Bury when Smurfthwaite halved his wages? If he was not a Vale fan, I doubt that he would hold the fans’ status that he does.

Let’s not forget that he has only played for us in the bottom two divisions. To me, he comes no where near the quality of Naylor and Foyle to name but two of the recent players.

The word “legend” is banded around too easily. If he wasn’t local and, more importantly not a Vale fan, I doubt that his credibility would be so high.

Sometimes we need to separate the fact that he is “one of us” from his actual quality.

I, like most on this forum, affirm his contribution to a lower league Vale, but he cannot possibly compare to players who have competed at a higher level on a regular basis.

So he can't be considered a legend because his wage was halved so he left.Seriously!I wonder whether you would stay in your job after giving your all week in week out if they paid you 50% less in take home pay?

It's interesting that Pope hasn't managed to form any sort of partnership in the 18 months or so since he came back. Not a criticism of him but it does point to something being wrong somewhere,

It's not a criticism of him at all. To me, the reason we can't find a partner for him, is totally down to the way we play. On the one hand, we continue to lump everything up to our talisman in the naive hope that even if he wins the initial aerial duel a Miller, Whitfield or even Kanu (or more recently Hanno and or Monty) will somehow then win the second header, normally against another huge central defender, which clearly isn't and has been demonstrated, never going to happen.

On the other hand, as has happened time and time again this season, we never, certainly with any consistency, get players anywhere near enough to him to genuinely support him, and from his perspective more relevantly any players out wide to 'feed him'

Giving him a two year deal is great news for Tom, and great news for the team, however unless we get a new manager it's bad news for those of us who wish to see some more attacking football as it almost sentences us to endure more of the same.

To change Popes signing from great, to brilliant news, will I fear, require a manager who will make the most of what I think his biggest attribute is, which is the ability to hold the ball up and in doing so bringing his team mates into the game.

He should undoubtedly be our pivot the teams glue that holds everything together, but unless we start playing the ball into his feet and with his strength, allow him to be just that, I fear he will remain totally isolated and us totally frustrated.

Pope has certainly done well in his time at the Vale. That is beyond doubt.

But a legend ?

Did he not leave us for Bury when Smurfthwaite halved his wages? If he was not a Vale fan, I doubt that he would hold the fans’ status that he does.

Let’s not forget that he has only played for us in the bottom two divisions. To me, he comes no where near the quality of Naylor and Foyle to name but two of the recent players.

The word “legend” is banded around too easily. If he wasn’t local and, more importantly not a Vale fan, I doubt that his credibility would be so high.

Sometimes we need to separate the fact that he is “one of us” from his actual quality.

I, like most on this forum, affirm his contribution to a lower league Vale, but he cannot possibly compare to players who have competed at a higher level on a regular basis.

On that analysis Roy Sproson wouldn't have been a legend either.

Care to reanalyse? Playing ability isn't the only measure.

On that analysis Roy Sproson wouldn't have been a legend either.

Care to reanalyse? Playing ability isn't the only measure.

Yes but he's right. I mean Pope doesn't compare to all those legends who scored 100+ goals for us in the higher divisions on 50% wages.

IMO ,no comparison.Roy Sproson is Port Vale’s greatest legend.Those who want a Tom Pope statue can see one,every Saturday.:wink:
Howjy what is your problem with Popey? Did he not sign your programme or something like that.

Seriously how can you decry a bloke who is on the verge of breaking our goal scoring records and who was the main player who got us promotion in 2013 and who staved off our fall into oblivion in 2018 and could well be our savour once again in 2019.

It clear as day that you don't like Tom but get over it because I believe that he will still be our main man when his contract is up in 2021. Not through favouritism but because he is a 100% Vale man who gives his all week in and week out. Which is more than can be said about most of his teammates.

I aren't knocking Sproey who will always have a place in my heart but ask yourself if he was here today would his head not have been turned in this day of daft money and agents? For me Tom Pope is someone to be proud of and say ''he is one of our own''. Thanks for that Tom Lad.

I

Howjy what is your problem with Popey? Did he not sign your programme or something like that.

Seriously how can you decry a bloke who is on the verge of breaking our goal scoring records and who was the main player who got us promotion in 2013 and who staved off our fall into oblivion in 2018 and could well be our savour once again uin 2019.

It clear as day that you don't like Tom but get over it because I believe that he will still be our main man when his contract is up in 2021. Not through favouritism but because he is a 100% Vale man who gives his all week in and week out. Which is more than can be said about most of his teammates.

I aren't knocking Sproey who will always have a place in my heart but ask yourself if he was here today would his head not have been turned in this day of daft money and agents? For me Tom Pope is someone to be proud of and say ''he is one of our own''. Thanks for that Tom Lad.

I have no problem with Tom.I have a problem with those who think he is God’s gift to Port Vale.Ask yourself the question.Should we be not looking for someone to sign who is young ,eager to do well and has a bit of pace? Instead we have given someone a new 2 year deal which means we will have a 36 year old to rely on.You’ve said it yourself the team isn’t firing.Why?The way we play possibly?

If Tom wasn’t a local lad would you be happy with a signing like that?We need movement up front and someone who fits into modern day football. A large chunk of next season’s budget has now gone.Will you be thanking the owner for your Christmas present? Maybe not.Merry Christmas Owd.

I don't have any first hand experiences of the greats of the late 80s and 90's

[/QUOYE]Legend, no question.

There lies your problem...go on You tube and see for yourself

Andy Jones, Darren Beckford, Martin Foyle, Tony Naylor...they are legends. Look on You tube, make comparisons with Pope's goals and it stands to reason Pope cannot be put in the same bracket as them

I

I have no problem with Tom.I have a problem with those who think he is God’s gift to Port Vale.Ask yourself the question.Should we be not looking for someone to sign who is young ,eager to do well and has a bit of pace? Instead we have given someone a new 2 year deal which means we will have a 36 year old to rely on.You’ve said it yourself the team isn’t firing.Why?The way we play possibly?

If Tom wasn’t a local lad would you be happy with a signing like that?We need movement up front and someone who fits into modern day football. A large chunk of next season’s budget has now gone.Will you be thanking the owner for your Christmas present? Maybe not.Merry Christmas Owd.

Love to know what the details of the contract are. I'd love to know who's getting paid what and whether there is room for resentment within the dressing room

Seriously how can you decry a bloke who is on the verge of breaking our goal scoring records and who was the main player who got us promotion in 2013 and who staved off our fall into oblivion in 2018 and could well be our savour once again in 2019.

Answer one fundamental question. Are you seriously saying Pope is a legend on the same level as Naylor?

I

Pope is a Vale legend and if you disagree there isn't a great deal we can argue about. Its objective.

Archived