onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Popey Signs New Deal

maccapvfc

Most of Pope's goals are either consolation goals/ headers. Where are the match winning performances apart from a handful from the 2012/13 season??

Where on earth would we be without him? Give me one other example of a leader on the pitch in the last two seasons.

For my money his contributions in the last two seasons have been more important than the promotion season, because we came within a whisker of going out of the league last season.

Advert

Where on earth would we be without him? Give me one other example of a leader on the pitch in the last two seasons.

For my money his contributions in the last two seasons have been more important than the promotion season, because we came within a whisker of going out of the league last season.

Well my opinion isn't worth much, but not having more mobility up front dictates the way the whole team play and as long as we have Pope, the way the team are playing (Which is very predictable) won't change and we could soon be looking down the barrel of a gun, yet again

A look at Pope’s actual scoring record makes interesting reading.

In his initial spell with us prior to 12/13, he scored 8 goals in 54 appearances. In fact in his 13 year league career he has only hit double figures in league games 4 times.

His remarkable 31 goals in 12/13 was because of the fantastic service he got from Myrie-Williams & Vincent. This shows how you get the best out of Pope and credit to Adams for adopting those tactics.

However his 17 last season we’re probably, no definitely, his biggest contribution in a Vale shirt. Without those efforts we would probably be facing a Boxing Day outing in Salford.

So in reality he has had one incredible season and one really big contribution in a Vale shirt since 2010.

In my opinion, this does not entitle “legend” status.I truly appreciate Pope’s contribution in a Vale shirt, but let’s keep it in context.

It is embarrassing reading these negative comments about one of the clubs leading scorers of all time,just unbelievable.

So many opposition managers single Pope out as the one to stop,to hammer the one player whose goals got us our last promotion and whose goals kept us in the football league proves to me that some football supporters dont have the brains they were born with.

Unbelievable.

Merry Christmas

Hey Blackdog, I don’t think people are criticising Pope at all. I for one certainly am not.

To me, there would simply be a different viewpoint as to what “legend” actually constitutes.

But let me make this quite clear. I realise that Pope is Vale through and through. Of that I have no doubt. It’s just the term “legend” that I may question.

Utter rubbish I feel embarrassed for you for making that comment.

I feel more embarrassed about your constant cringe worthy Pope worshipping...it's like your a father on the on the sideline of a junior football match at ladsandads...backing your son whatever he does on the park...that;s how it comes across it really does!!

Merry Christmas

I feel more embarrassed about your constant cringe worthy Pope worshipping...it's like your a father on the on the sideline of a junior football match at ladsandads...backing your son whatever he does on the park...that;s how it comes across it really does!!

Merry Christmas

Not at all Killer I just appreciate all of his goals and the tremendous efforts he puts in week and week out.

I suppose like most others they become more valuable when they are no longer playing. I remember all of those vital goals that kept us afloat like the last gasp equaliser at Mansfield last season which was a majority reason why we are still in the football League.

Merry Christmas to you as well. I'm off now to open my presents off my hero.

Pope has scored more goals for the club than Naylor at a faster rate and has a higher goals per game ratio!

Putting aside the fact that the Pontiff is one of our own, scored the goals that got us promoted, Scored the goals that saved us from oblivion and has more passion than the rest of the team put together... the numbers alone show that he is more of a legend.

Tom is a great player but his best Vale era was in league 2. He was less effective at league 1 level and went to Bury for the end of our league 1 era.

Naylor did what he did two divisions above.

Tom is a great player but his best Vale era was in league 2. He was less effective at league 1 level and went to Bury for the end of our league 1 era.

You can only be the best player in your era and in the league you are in. No player I've seen at Vale was in the same league as Mark Chamberlain but that doesn't lessen the contribution of Naylor or Pope.

Totally agree,

where would we be,

as always in football no matter what level you have to keep the good players change the bad or those that cant improve.. just look at the forwards since popey has left and come back to know what other forward players of his experience & ability we could attract.. I wonder if he wasn't a vale fan would he be here as i'm sure he would have had other takers as so managers and players +supporters rate/respect.

big part in keeping us up and stabilising the team in its darkest hour , glad he has a new contract especially 2 yrs he has earned it and can still do a job and yes a club legend.

It must be really frustrating for the recruitment team at Vale, they keep finding good players and then Norma refuses to pay them and they leave. AJ Leitch-Smith is a good example. We gave him a chance and he scored some goals on a low wage. He asked for something like the going rate and Norma had a big paddy about it in the press and he left. 6 goals in 19 starts for Morecambe in our league this season so far.

I get the ‘Naylor did it two divisions above argument’ ... I guess I’m just saying legend Status isn’t simply a formula of goals scored (or performances) at the highest possible legend.

Otherwise Lee Trundle would have to be discounted by Swansea fans in favour of Wilfred Bony!

Archived