onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Optimism in the air?

smithie

I am optimistic about the squad certainly, the squad has not been in doubt for me and what is annoying is when people say we are average as a team full of non league triers for example. These non league triers have actually proven themselves to be more than competent at this level and credit to Aspin that his recruitment has shown he has the eye for players that are capable of stepping up.

Hannant, Rawlinson, Vassell, Oyeleke all look decent and capable, Hannant linked to Bolton, little doubt that Manny could step up and much better to have these guys coming in than relying on old journeyman like Tonge and Pugh.

It is and always was going to be a work in progress but its clear to see. We are 1 win from being half way to safety. Defence looks solid, Legge has been a great signing, midfield when Manny is fit is competent and the likes of Colon have shown themselves to be capable.

Attacking wise we are not there yet but we keep this side together and only have the attack to work on this summer we can feel positive. I would say add goals to this defence we would be up there challenging the top 7... its all we are missing at the moment.

All we need to hope is Aspin sorts his tactically faux pas out which crop up now and then, hopefully it was just a case of learning about the overhauled squad and that has now be settled...

No one can argue we are in a far better place than this time last year, and as others have said, the only thing missing is creativity and the consequential lack of goals, and this is the one area that Aspin needs to find a solution for. Personally though, like all teams, we could always do with bringing in a couple of players, better players I don't think that would resolve anything.

The boss sends out the team primarily to not concede, and in the main, certainly since Lincoln it's working, so he's acheieving that, but it's been done at the expense of creativity and goals, and if we thought creativity was scarce pre Lincoln, it's been compounded since, and it's why criticism of the forwards is very harsh.

If as it appears, the midfield are under instructions to ensure they consistently get behind the ball rather than get up in support of it when in the oppo's half it's little wonder that week in week out we are continually judging them on their defensive duties alone and for that it also seems a tad harsh to criticise them to loudly either.

Last week was the first time we really created any amount of chances, and am sure we all hope it signals a change of intent from Aspo, but I fear that performance was as much to do with County's many failings as it was any attacking intent, but I am so hoping I am wrong.

Will be interesting to see what happens Sunday where I am convinced Aspo will revert back to recent type and stick 7,8,9 men behind the ball. Though that may prevent a mauling, I fear it may guarantee that any chance of winning, albeit slim to start with will now be non existent. I wouldn't want to be the skipper Sunday as I fear he's in for a real physical bashing and anyone who plays up front with him is in for one of the quietest games of their careers.

But optimism is there and like many agree that a year on, I do feel lot better and think any non top half finish will prove to be extremely disappointing, and I didn't think I would be saying that, five, six weeks ago

Advert

I see no reason why Vale can not put a really good sequence of results together .

Aspin has a good set of players there as long as they are willing put the effort heart and determination in then anything is possible .

Judging by the resilience the players are showing without Oyeleke and Montano who are the id say the most talented isvery heartwarming .

Better be a optimist than a pessimist .

Believe players fans management just a few links of negativityis all it rakesserail the Vale so all be positive and stick together .

UTV

I'd personally be optimistic if I could reassure myself we'd be keeping our good players this summer and add a few having gotten rid of the dead wood.

I'm not finding the belief, somehow, that we'll be able to persuade Conlon and Oyeleke to sign on again. For me, they'll likely have options.

As long as we're not starting again, again next season then maybe.

An we leave optimism in the box until after Sunderland.

If we do well against them who knows what could happen.

Not sure I agree, once Aspin made the change we played very well against a team miles above us. Best I have felt after a defeat for a long while

Not sure I agree, once Aspin made the change we played very well against a team miles above us. Best I have felt after a defeat for a long while

Hear hear. You'd have to be the ultimate Potteries Pessimist to feel anything other than proud and optimistic after yesterday's efforts.

Hear hear. You'd have to be the ultimate Potteries Pessimist to feel anything other than proud and optimistic after yesterday's efforts.

Agree I wasn't annoyed by the loss or angry in any way, more just frustrated we didn't get the decisions or the luck of the ball dropping for us. The fact we conceded twice early on and lets be honest we all saw Lincoln again but didnt and battled this time shows the character has improved since then.

With Manny back we can push on now, Mansfield will be incredibly tough but once thats done we have some games we should be looking to win.

Count me in. I'm a proud Valiant and can now see a longer term improvement in the squad. we are starting to gel into a very reasonable unit. More's the pity that we have an Owner who gives us nothing other than grief and depression!

I recall one great save from Brown from a few yards out...

I also only remember one save by Brown. Not sure which games RZ watches most of the time but sure loves a moan. After the first substitution yesterday, we were more than a match for Sunderland but unfortunately we were already 2 down by then. We had several decent chances in the second half and what looked like a blatant penalty. Even a Stokie friend of mine said it looked a definite penalty on TV.

I also only remember one save by Brown. Not sure which games RZ watches most of the time but sure loves a moan. After the first substitution yesterday, we were more than a match for Sunderland but unfortunately we were already 2 down by then. We had several decent chances in the second half and what looked like a blatant penalty. Even a Stokie friend of mine said it looked a definite penalty on TV.

Ultimately Sunderland are riddled with quality, have a budget many times ours and we had no right to beat them yesterday or even compete. The fact that we did compete is testament to the lads, this wasn't a defeat to Grimsby or Morecambe this is one of the biggest clubs in the land. Not sure why anyone would slate us for losing that.

Archived