onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Optimism in the air?

smithie

For the first time since those Coventry and Luton wins last season, I'm really feeling quite positive about the team we have.

A proper keeper in Scotty, very promising prospects in Vassell & Hannant, a rock in Leon Legge and now Smith looking something like his best. Not to mention Mr Port Vale himself Tom Pope, an absolute gem of a loan in Mitch Clark and with Manny still to return.

I think Makeshift Monty will struggle to get back in the side now as will the talented Gibbons, although I'm wondering what's happened with David Worrall.

8 points from 12, unbeaten in 4 and with an absolute peach of a Cup-tie coming up we're looking so much better than in a long time.

Let's hope everyone gets off their asses and comes along to cheer us to victory on Sunday!

Advert

I am optimistic about the squad certainly, the squad has not been in doubt for me and what is annoying is when people say we are average as a team full of non league triers for example. These non league triers have actually proven themselves to be more than competent at this level and credit to Aspin that his recruitment has shown he has the eye for players that are capable of stepping up.

Hannant, Rawlinson, Vassell, Oyeleke all look decent and capable, Hannant linked to Bolton, little doubt that Manny could step up and much better to have these guys coming in than relying on old journeyman like Tonge and Pugh.

It is and always was going to be a work in progress but its clear to see. We are 1 win from being half way to safety. Defence looks solid, Legge has been a great signing, midfield when Manny is fit is competent and the likes of Colon have shown themselves to be capable.

Attacking wise we are not there yet but we keep this side together and only have the attack to work on this summer we can feel positive. I would say add goals to this defence we would be up there challenging the top 7... its all we are missing at the moment.

All we need to hope is Aspin sorts his tactically faux pas out which crop up now and then, hopefully it was just a case of learning about the overhauled squad and that has now be settled...

It's the best squad we've had for a while (doesn't say much!) but there still aren't enough goals or creativity in the team yet.

Getting there though! If only we had some cash to improve this, a small chunk of £2.4m for example.

Have to agree with all of this -we desperately need some creativity and more goals to an extremely hard working side

There is optimism in the air and it's based on some evidence, the playing squad has been improved, we have some exciting players to watch, Vale have a decent goalkeeper and some solid defenders and the league position has improved. The team is far from being the finished article but we're on the right road.

At least now statistically and points gained we are closer to the play-off places than the relegation zone, however I still think we'll finish up somewhere between 12th and 15th positions come the end of season table. Given last season's debacle and the whiff of pessimism after the Lincoln game, I suspect a few more as well as me will settle for that?

At least now statistically and points gained we are closer to the play-off places than the relegation zone, however I still think we'll finish up somewhere between 12th and 15th positions come the end of season table. Given last season's debacle and the whiff of pessimism after the Lincoln game, I suspect a few more as well as me will settle for that?

Ask me after the Oldham game late December... its a good run of fixtures until the end of 2018 so depends how well we do against the weaker sides in this run for me. I would take 10th-12th as a good base.

if we can keep this squad together until next season, play a consistent team in a consistent approach, add a few players in transfer windows, then I think we can win League 2 in 2019/20. This season, cut down on mistakes, be solid, improve gradually and finish in the top half or even make the playoffs.

Archived