onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

James McClean

ollyandpatch

Advert

This wearing poppy on football shirts nonsense has got to stop.

I’m of the generation where although my dad was too young to fight both my Grandads fought in the wars. One got killed in WW2 and the other survived WW1 after serving in the Royal Artillery.

My 3 uncles fought in Ww2 1 was a messenger in the Royal Signals and served in NAfrica and Italy. Another uncle was in the Tank Regiment and was blown up in the tank and invalided out of the Army. My 3rd Uncle was a cook and served in The 8th Army. My brother in law served in Bosnia and Afghanistan.

Most Players and fans over 55 will have such memories.

Many younger fans may have family in the services.

How come we managed for the 60 years after WW2 without expecting all this show of respect?

Stop displaying poppies and get the players to donate 1% of there weeks wages to a charity of their choice such as SSAFFA who do a great deal of working supporting vets and their families with issues like PTSD and helping them settle into Civvy life. For Concientious Objectors they could donate to RNLI.

The irony is these clowns who make such a fuss about the poppy have probably never served in the forces and remind me of the people who handed out white feathers in WW1 to men not in uniform ,,misguided fools.

It’s not about the poppy thing anymore as apart from a few idiots everybody respected his views and his reasons ( myself included)

However on Saturday he upped the anti considerably especially his abuse of the Last Post by staying out of sight when everybody else was around the dugout and on the pitch, then his coup de graz was to continue to walk to the dugout during the minutes silence when he could of ( just like everybody else entering the stands ) stop dead in his tracks as he has continually said he has no issue with the armed forces

Follow that up with his ill timed Instagram I really can’t see a way back as he has publically slaughtered a section of the support

He won’t be in the squad Saturday and who knows if he will be again as the atmosphere towards him will be toxic

I have always stood up for James Maclean on the oatcake and in pub conversations but something more sinister happened on Saturday, it was like he turned up pre planned to have it out and his use of Bobby Sands words has tipped the scales ...why now after all these years I’ve no idea

Excellent post Wezza. If McClean had kept his gob shut he would have retained the moral high ground. His behaviour, however, means he is now just as bad as those he has criticised.

The bloke is always trying to make a point.He should respect,for one minute,what other people respect and keep his mouth shut.Can’t see his future being at Stoke but i’m glad I don’t have to make that decision.It could open a can of worms.The FA investigation have given him a warning over his use of an offensive word he used.

When you think about it, McClean's stance on the poppy is a prime example of why the people of Ireland, both North and South, can never put history to bed. He is concerned about an event that happened 17 years before he was born and says this is the reason why he won't wear a poppy. He doesn't mention the Birmingham pub bombings in which more "proud Fenians" killed more civilians than Bloody Sunday. He only remembers the history that supports his point of view. The Northern Irish are the same - commemorating a battle each year that took place over 300 years ago and often causes trouble by the marching. But do they ever mention Cromwell's slaughter of the mainly Catholic inhabitants of Drogheda and Wexford?

If the Irish, like McClean would leave the past in the past and stop using it as a reason for spurious and bigotted demonstrations, the whole island might be able to move forward.

When you think about it, McClean's stance on the poppy is a prime example of why the people of Ireland, both North and South, can never put history to bed. He is concerned about an event that happened 17 years before he was born and says this is the reason why he won't wear a poppy. He doesn't mention the Birmingham pub bombings in which more "proud Fenians" killed more civilians than Bloody Sunday. He only remembers the history that supports his point of view. The Northern Irish are the same - commemorating a battle each year that took place over 300 years ago and often causes trouble by the marching. But do they ever mention Cromwell's slaughter of the mainly Catholic inhabitants of Drogheda and Wexford?

If the Irish, like McClean would leave the past in the past and stop using it as a reason for spurious and bigotted demonstrations, the whole island might be able to move forward.

Apart from lighting a cigar and flick the Vs at all 4 stands he couldn’t have made his stance more obvious Jean

I’ve absolutely no idea what was going through his head especially as he chose to walk to the dugout when EVERYBODY else in the stadium was stood still

And now he’s playing the victim card when in actual fact he’s laughing at those defending him which I did until what I witnessed and read Saturday evening from 5:25om onwards

Apart from lighting a cigar and flick the Vs at all 4 stands he couldn’t have made his stance more obvious Jean

I’ve absolutely no idea what was going through his head especially as he chose to walk to the dugout when EVERYBODY else in the stadium was stood still

And now he’s playing the victim card when in actual fact he’s laughing at those defending him which I did until what I witnessed and read Saturday evening from 5:25om onwards

Couldn't agree more.

He'll be gone by Christmas,if anyone will take him and his principles?

Couldn't agree more.

I’m fine with his principles mate as that’s his call and his right

What has done me now is he wants us to respect his yet he’s just kicked us in the face in regards ours

If you read my response to your original post, Wez, you will see that I completely agree with you.

Couldn't agree more.

What club in the right mind would take him on with all the bagage that comes with him. 4 year contract makes me think he will be goin no where fast, might not be playing regular footy but will be on a fair wedge to boot.

Archived