onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Maths for next year

WalterJ

Don’t know if this works but here goes. New and solid goalie could be 10 extra points. Younger midfielder chipping in with 7 goals plus assists - 10 points. Support striker to Pope chip in with 10 Goals - 10 points. Concede 15 goals less with solid defence - 10points. So over 80 points for the season, maths make it seem easy but sure it’s not. Nevertheless, we have to score more and concede less and I am sure that Aspin has same idea. Performance level has to be as good as level against Luton, Coventry and Lincoln at home and we did that with what everyone thinks was a crap team!

Advert

Just need a team, capable of consistent performances!

Last season, our best performances were more than lightyears away from our worst! Nobody ever knew, which team was going to turn up. The good one or the Sunday League one (actually that's a bit harsh on Sunday League players...).

I'm not expecting us to out play teams week in week out (although that would be nice...). But I AM expecting us, not to roll over like we did on several occasions. That the absolutely shambolic circus defending comes to an end, and more people than Pope are able to hit the net on a steady basis.

Don't think there's any perfect equation or certain aspects that contribute an exact amount of additional points, but there are a few specific areas I'm sure Aspin is aware of that need to be dealt with.

I hope Pope does the same again for us, but we can't (& shouldn't) rely on him alone to keep us up. I'm also hoping that we don't go for just youngsters from non-league & bank on one of them coming good. Would be nice to see us sign a striker aged around 24-28 who at the very least has played regularly in the past few years in the league & could get us 10-12 goals alongside Pope's lot, rather than some injury-riddled player (possibly 30+) who has played

A lot of work to be done in numerous areas, but still early yet, I'm happy with the rumours & deal(s) done so far, I'll let Aspin get on with it & have a moan once the WC is over :razz:

Don’t know if this works but here goes. New and solid goalie could be 10 extra points. Younger midfielder chipping in with 7 goals plus assists - 10 points. Support striker to Pope chip in with 10 Goals - 10 points. Concede 15 goals less with solid defence - 10points. So over 80 points for the season, maths make it seem easy but sure it’s not. Nevertheless, we have to score more and concede less and I am sure that Aspin has same idea. Performance level has to be as good as level against Luton, Coventry and Lincoln at home and we did that with what everyone thinks was a crap team!

A decent keeper will add a lot. We conceded very few chances but a lot of goals last season. Outside that your probably looking at losing something to gain something with other players we bring in. The obvious area is central midfield but the older players were pretty good at keeping their shape in front of the back 4. It's an area that needs to improve but Aspin kept picking them because they could do some of the unseen basics well.

With a solid keeper I think we'd have finished last season just below mid table.

• 1 month later...
All other clubs improving their own squads negates improvements to ours.....

Yeah but the likelihood is all other clubs won't improve their own squads. Everyone signs players, some teams get better, some get worse. The only way that would ever really show to be 100% true is if we finished in exactly the same position or lower this season.

Also, just because teams sign what we look at as good players right now in preseason, still doesn't mean they're actual improvements. A large portion of signings turn out to be duds each year (we would know). Kristian Dennis at County, for example, could pull his hamstring in the first game, break a leg, or just not fit in for whatever reason. Remember what a coup we thought Lawrie Wilson was at the time?

Yeah but the likelihood is all other clubs won't improve their own squads. Everyone signs players, some teams get better, some get worse. The only way that would ever really show to be 100% true is if we finished in exactly the same position or lower this season.

Also, just because teams sign what we look at as good players right now in preseason, still doesn't mean they're actual improvements. A large portion of signings turn out to be duds each year (we would know). Kristian Dennis at County, for example, could pull his hamstring in the first game, break a leg, or just not fit in for whatever reason. Remember what a coup we thought Lawrie Wilson was at the time?

Division 1 and 2 always has surprises both way, when you look at some clubs at this time of year you think they have made fantastic signings and they flop badly. There's always one club in the top 6 you think will struggle with relegation and do well. It takes less time to get players in than to get them playing as a team. Anything can happen over the first 5 games.

Call me old fashioned but I'm very much one of those people who thinks that your first target should be 50 points.

Especially as we haven't managed that in either of our last two seasons.

hope your maths are better than your history:razz::thumbs:

Archived