onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

7 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

And would you agree that the only way that they can guarantee avoiding a no deal brexit is to win a general election?

That's a bit like shooting yourself in the foot with the gun in your mouth.

Or asking a bookie to take a bet after the race had been run.

Asking for a refund on the ticket you bought for the titanic.

Exhuming a body 3 years after burial to see if it's dead.

You can't avoid something after it's happened.

If you decide you don't want kids after your wife gives birth to twins.... would you expect her to put them back?..... if you did you would be wearing your testicles as ear muffs.

An election before leaving is sensible..... after is ludicrous. 

It's not possible to hold an election before the leave date.

By all means question the motives for refusal (supreme court?) but not the practicality. 

Advert

Question I don't know the answer to.

Does the house vote to accept any extension offered by the EU?...... I think what I'm trying to ask is..... could Boris reject an extension if it was offered?

I think I remember may asking for an extension and deciding how long it would last for after the request was made.... but I can't remember if she decided or a vote was taken.

8 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

No.

If a general election were called now we could leave with no deal before the election had even taken place.

If Johnson wants an election he could ask for a Brexit extension as requested. An election could then be quickly under way. And if he won he could force no deal any time he wanted.

And why exactly would boris delay to have an election to then do what he was going to do anyway? 

This is remainer mps running out of options. They either have to tell the truth by legislating to overturn the referendum without the consent of the people, or win an election before november.

Their only chance to overturn brexit as it stands is to stall. That is why they're lying about their intentions being to stop no deal. This is why they were outraged by the proroguement only to then spend their precious time invoking jo coxs name to try and control the language. 

They're forcing boris into the possibility of using executive powers to leave with no deal and then seek an election immediately afterwards to clear out the rubbish in parliament. 

27 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Good to see people pointing out the horrendous hypocrisy of the virtue signallers in parliament talking about incendiary language. 

They are silent when McDonnell does it regularly and much worse. They're silent when others do it who they agree with. 

Correct,who was it he said should be strung up?Lovely man(terrorist sympathiser).

6 hours ago, geosname said:

Question I don't know the answer to.

Does the house vote to accept any extension offered by the EU?...... I think what I'm trying to ask is..... could Boris reject an extension if it was offered?

I think I remember may asking for an extension and deciding how long it would last for after the request was made.... but I can't remember if she decided or a vote was taken.

Everyone's talking of a extention, when to have it, or how long, from what the eu have been saying since mays proposal was voted out, is there is no more extensions unless something is very much different, plus 27 members have got to vote for  it, labour are saying they will re-negotiate how?. the eu have said take it or leave it, they see how indecisive we are, fighting amongst ourselves, theres not a snowball in hells chance they will alter their position. They dare not give on anything or other eu members might  opt out,

4 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

Everyone's talking of a extention, when to have it, or how long, from what the eu have been saying since mays proposal was voted out, is there is no more extensions unless something is very much different, plus 27 members have got to vote for  it, labour are saying they will re-negotiate how?. the eu have said take it or leave it, they see how indecisive we are, fighting amongst ourselves, theres not a snowball in hells chance they will alter their position. They dare not give on anything or other eu members might  opt out,

I agree with that mate..... but.

If the EU indicates an extension is possible who decides the time lmit?..... and who decides whether to accept the offer from the EU?...... Boris or parliament.

It's an open question mate not specifically directed at you

20 minutes ago, geosname said:

If the EU indicates an extension is possible who decides the time lmit?..... and who decides whether to accept the offer from the EU?...... Boris or parliament.

i'll give it a go, it will be the eu, as before they said no more 1 month/ 3 months has we have other business to deal with, and parliament will decide, not this one as Geoff Cox said its a dead one, so a new one will have to try but anything like this one it will take years for a decision...

47 minutes ago, geosname said:

Negotiation is the key? PM asks for an extension indicating a time period, he would have to indicate an election and/or referendum is planned. EU would then indicate a  maximum time period, not all of which has to be used. PM would then accept. PM is  a nominal capacity as with a minority government parliament being sovereign is in control. Any dispute with PM`s misuse of regal powers would be ruled unlawful by the Supreme Court. Although John Major`s explanation of Privy Council powers without ER2`s nod needs investigation.

Update on suspension of parliament according to Mogg, its main purpose is to allow time for the Lords to get ready for the ceremony, clear away the security barriers etc,  So 5 weeks was clearly excessive.

2 hours ago, Davebrad said:

i'll give it a go, it will be the eu, as before they said no more 1 month/ 3 months has we have other business to deal with, and parliament will decide, not this one as Geoff Cox said its a dead one, so a new one will have to try but anything like this one it will take years for a decision...

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Negotiation is the key? PM asks for an extension indicating a time period, he would have to indicate an election and/or referendum is planned. EU would then indicate a  maximum time period, not all of which has to be used. PM would then accept. PM is  a nominal capacity as with a minority government parliament being sovereign is in control. Any dispute with PM`s misuse of regal powers would be ruled unlawful by the Supreme Court. Although John Major`s explanation of Privy Council powers without ER2`s nod needs investigation.

Update on suspension of parliament according to Mogg, its main purpose is to allow time for the Lords to get ready for the ceremony, clear away the security barriers etc,  So 5 weeks was clearly excessive.

Thanks.

Is Boris obliged to ask for or secure  a specific time extension?  Or does he just have to ask for one re the "surrender bill"?

7 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

...They're forcing boris into the possibility of using executive powers to leave with no deal and then seek an election immediately afterwards to clear out the rubbish in parliament. 

The way I read it RB, no one is forcing Boris to do anything other than what Boris wants to do. Even after a 11-0 thrashing it seems to me he is tramples on UK democracy as though he, and only he knows what needs to be done.

20 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

There are plenty of remainers who are worried about the state of our democracy too. 

It boils down to a very simple question - why do all of the remain supporting parties want to avoid an election at all costs?

It seems Westminster struggle when it comes to 'simple questions' RB.

Archived