onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Coventry win City of Culture

Jacko51

I can't disagree with some of what you say VS and I think the city has been dreadfully let down by its city leaders. There was a letter in the Sentinel the other day about how our transport network is so last century compared to forward looking cities like Nottingham. Also, when is someone going to do something about that derelict Twyfords building next to the D Road? Anyone visiting the city for the first time must be appalled by the sight coming down the D Road.

If we’d won this competition, the council and organisers would have wasted the £3million prize on restoring dereliction just like Twyfords instead of investing in new ventures.

The good people of Stoke deserve new amenities and more choices in social activities, not constant reminders of a depressing past.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Advert

If we’d won this competition, the council and organisers would have wasted the £3million prize on restoring dereliction just like Twyfords instead of investing in new ventures.

The good people of Stoke deserve new amenities and more choices in social activities, not constant reminders of a depressing past.

I don't want the Twyfords building restored - I want the bugger knocked down.

I don't want the Twyfords building restored - I want the bugger knocked down.

Exactly! Most residents want such buildings demolished and replaced with real change, but the idiots in charge would waste money restoring it, despite having no use for it. They are so out of touch with the real world it's actually quite worrying. They don't have a clue on what this city actually needs. They actually thought opening a Nando's in Hanley would put us back on the big stage!

Exactly! Most residents want such buildings demolished and replaced with real change, but the idiots in charge would waste money restoring it, despite having no use for it. They are so out of touch with the real world it's actually quite worrying. They don't have a clue on what this city actually needs. They actually thought opening a Nando's in Hanley would put us back on the big stage!

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

I don't think Stoke needs an arena. Part of it's problem is that it's sandwiched between Manchester and Birmingham and any arena-sized artists would prefer two nights at the MEN or NEC rather than decamping to Stoke for a night.

It's a shame S-o-T didn't win. As much as I dread visiting the city, there's so much potential there.

I don't think Stoke needs an arena. Part of it's problem is that it's sandwiched between Manchester and Birmingham and any arena-sized artists would prefer two nights at the MEN or NEC rather than decamping to Stoke for a night.

It's a shame S-o-T didn't win. As much as I dread visiting the city, there's so much potential there.

Despite relative proximity to Sheffield, Leeds and Birmingham, Nottinghams arena manages to attract big acts, because it pulled its head out of the sand and invested in the right infrastructure. Big acts will go to which venue gives them the best deal because they know they'll sell out regardless of where this may be.

I'm not suggesting an arena is the answer to everything, it's just an example of something that would give residents a choice, bring in visitors and help shake-off our old fashioned image.

What is this potential you talk about? How can such potential be realised without facilities?

The potential of stoke is that its almost a blank canvas. Sadly the people who could create on that canvas havent got past the nursery finger painting stage.

5 towns with little connection to each other either physically of mentally.

2 junctions connecting it to the M6 and 1 road connecting the junctions... get off that road and the problems start.

We should remember what stoke was famous for but its gone, dead and buried.

Businesses will invest if they can make a profit is a general rule of thumb, retail businesses will invest if people in the area have money to spend on the products they sell.

To me investing in the restoration and remembrance of the past is only viable if you invest a damn site more in the future.

Stoke on trent is dead, either hot wire it to the national grid to revive it or for gods sake bury it before the stench of decay becomes to much.

The potential of stoke is that its almost a blank canvas. Sadly the people who could create on that canvas havent got past the nursery finger painting stage.

2 junctions connecting it to the M6 and 1 road connecting the junctions... get off that road and the problems start.

Businesses will invest if they can make a profit is a general rule of thumb, retail businesses will invest if people in the area have money to spend on the products they sell.

To me investing in the restoration and remembrance of the past is only viable if you invest a damn site more in the future.

Stoke on trent is dead, either hot wire it to the national grid to revive it or for gods sake bury it before the stench of decay becomes to much.

The city of Stoke is now suffering BECAUSE of its past “heritage”. A city too dependent on one industry, coupled with a cartel of Pottery owners who kept wages artificially low lead to a stagnant local economy and poor housing stock. Parents got their children jobs in the same Pot Bank as a result of a need for additional financial resources, with little thought given about any possible further education opportunities, gives us what we have today. A derelict landscape, an ill educated population with little hope of a bright future. But at least we’re “nice people” City Of Culture ? Hmmm......

I don`t know how much difference £3m would have made but anything to get the confidence of this city back must have helped. There can be no city in western Europe with as much empty space and dereliction as Stoke but nobody has a plan to do much with it.

There has been a building on the canal in Middleport that has been in a state of semi and now near total dereliction for 40+ years, that can`t be right and any judge in any competition to award a city of culture would surely think this place doesn`t deserve any accolade if they treat their people with such contempt.

What an offensive post from someone who hasn't lived in the city since when? Stoke is not dead because we lost a lousy bid for city of culture. There are some fantastic people here and so much going on in sport, music, art etc. Don't just become a soundbite of something you think you should say. Live it then your opinion may hold some weight.

What an offensive post from someone who hasn't lived in the city since when? Stoke is not dead because we lost a lousy bid for city of culture. There are some fantastic people here and so much going on in sport, music, art etc. Don't just become a soundbite of something you think you should say. Live it then your opinion may hold some weight.

I have lived my entire life in this city, so I can cast a valid opinion. The city is in a terrible state of dereliction and devoid of any hope for the immediate future. The whole depressing mess has been caused year after year by councillors who are out of touch and obsessed with wasting valuable money. There are some fantastic people working on projects within the city, but they are no more than hobbyists working in small craft operations that certainly don't offer levels of employment and wages that can sustain the needs of modern living.

This is not a 'soundbite', it is fact.

Awful shame. Speaking as an outsider , I’ve always found the people to be very warm and friendly, it’s greatest asset some would say. However, the five towns need reviving in a big way. Hopefully next year.

Sadly, I can no longer agree about your 'warm and friendly' people comment. Unfortunately, the city is fast becoming a place full of aggression and impatience, just like other areas of the country. Tunstall for example used to be a thriving, friendly place to shop, where you would always bump into friendly and familiar faces, especially on a Saturday morning. Now Tunstall high street is an intimidating place to visit, full of unfamiliar people some of whom you're scared to make eye contact with. The sense of community left about 15 years ago.

Archived