onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Grimsby Town

Fosse69

Advert

Hugely disappointing.

It started bad when Rudge didn't come out onto the pitch, picked up first half but the less said about the second half the better.

I can't believe what I'm reading in here though. People singling out Pope?? He had his best game for us this season. Won the majority of his headers, good link up play and scored. What more do you expect? If the rest of the team did their job as well as Pope did his today then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.

Positives: Pope,Gibbons, Denton and Whitfield.

Negatives: Tonge, Puge, Kay and Harness.

A strange starting 11 (if Brown had picked that he'd have been slated) however Aspo has only been here a couple of days so is beyond criticism at the moment.

Can you honestly say what Pope has contributed to justify a starting place every week? He's no longer the threat he was four years ago and therefore we shouldn't be shaping the tactics to accommodate his weaknesses, we should be bringing in another striker/system to cause opponents problems. Opponents no longer even bother to double-up when marking him, one defender is now usually adequate. Sentiment will cost us if we don't try something different offensively than bunting balls into the box to a largely immobile striker.

To hold a ball up ,lay it off then get into the box to get on the end of crosses is normally what a target man’s job is.Tom is struggling with the last bit because he’s not quick enough.Tom will run through a brick wall for the Vale but i’m afraid that’s not enough.

I've seen more people moan about moaning than people actually moaning. People seem to be equating 'pointing out bad things about today's match' with 'moaning'.

Positives: Atmosphere during 1st half, effort levels during first half, chance creation during first half, Whitfield, Harness, Gibbons, Denton, seeing a player as talented as Dembele

Negatives: Flat atmosphere in 2nd half, defending for goals, central midfield, substitutions, Turner not starting.

We need legs in CM, we need to avoid substituting our two most dangerous players in Whitfield and Harness, we need to improve set piece defending.

Didn't think Roos was that bad today bar erratic distribution and a bit of hesitation; actually made a couple of good saves.

Overall feeling a bit more upbeat as I at least enjoyed the first half, which I haven't done in 18 months. Lots of work needed, would take 22nd now.

Side note; their winger who scored the 2nd, Dembele, is the older brother of the Scottish lad Karamoko Dembele who made headlines for playing for the Celtic U20s when he was like 13. What a talent he is. Terrorised us today and the bit of skill he performed in the 2nd half in front of the Railway by the corner flag left me staggered. Cracking run and finish for their 2nd too. He'll go very far.

I can't believe what I'm reading in here though. People singling out Pope?? He had his best game for us this season. Won the majority of his headers, good link up play and scored. What more do you expect? If the rest of the team did their job as well as Pope did his today then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.

Thank God for that. I thought I must have been seeing things after some of the posts on here.

Denton was like a headless chicken 2nd half. First half Harness and Whitfield were running the show, 2nd half, Grimsby did their homework and stopped them playing.

Aspin has got his work cut out with this squad as a lot of them aren't even good enough for Leek Town never mind The Vale.

Hugely disappointing.

It started bad when Rudge didn't come out onto the pitch, picked up first half but the less said about the second half the better.

Positives: Pope,Gibbons, Denton and Whitfield.

Negatives: Tonge, Puge, Kay and Harness.

A strange starting 11 (if Brown had picked that he'd have been slated) however Aspo has only been here a couple of days so is beyond criticism at the moment.

Agree with all that.

Aspo will sort it,I have no doubt,as long as players do the job they are asked to do.We must retain the ball better and improve our passing.Lump ball is meat and drink to some of these hairy rsed centre halves.Keeping the ball on the pitch instead of in the air normally has the desired effect.Aspo said he will work on what he thinks is our best formation suited to the players but lump ball from the back is not what he said he wanted.He touched on fitness ,pointing out we don’t put in 90minute performances.I thought there was a better attitude today and I think we will improve.

Two of the big problems we've got are inexperience and a lack of goal threat. The likes of Whitfield, Harness and Denton might run around energetically but where is their final product? How many goals have they collectively scored? 1 isn't it? It's simply not good enough when two of them are supposed to be attacking midfield players. They continually make the wrong decision and cock up the final ball, or turn into trouble and lose possession too easily.

We have to get more creativity, flair and goals in the team , in January. Most of this lot wouldn't score in Cobridge on a Saturday night! They are woeful. The likes of Eagles, Dodds and Marshall were far better players but we shopping in Lidl now.

I would be offering Remi Streete a contract or at least getting him in on a non contract basis.

Remi with one knee is a far better player than Kay.

If I were Rudge/ Aspo/ Norman I would try and offer him something until Jan. Partner him with Smith in the middle, it wasn't too bad last year considering we had no midfield.

Archived