onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bye bye Uber

Bea Smith

Advert

Thats the rating all the drivers have given me for goodness sake' date=' at least if you are going to try and be personal keep up and understand how the system works [/size']

You sound a lot like carllllllll at times, judging things you have no concept of rather letting certain aspects of the media control your mind.

Some of the links you supply are sensationalist, traditional taxi drivers for instance have been stained because of the abuse cases in recent years so you have to try and balance an argument and present fact rather than simply listen to what your selected news feed tells you to think.

I use them regularly at home in Leeds for instance where traditional taxis also double up as Uber's and in Australia where the price in most cities for a journey is almost halved.

That wasn't personal - because I thought on a discussion on Uber any rating would relate to them - I shouldn't have underestimated your massive ego that would make you think people would be even vagely interested in what mark THEY gave YOU - that's the sort of thing Ryan Burge might post.

Of course they will give you a good mark - they want your business again, I guess you probably didn't talk to them to get such a good mark.

But enough about you - Uber are degrading standards and lowering the tone of society by putting legitimate taxi drivers out of business, treating their own drivers badly and making Donald Trump-style profiteering fashionable.

The other point is that they are dangerous for women - you are fond of pretending to defend women but many find uber unreliable and cause problems plus vulnerable people in other groups.

Don't know whether there's a difference between Uber in London compared to Boston, but my daughter also feels safer using Uber and Uber has to be safer for the driver also.

When she's worked more than x hours/day she's allowed a taxi/Uber home on the company, she always get's Uber door to door and not only is it safer but in the winter in Boston it's manner from heaven.

It isn't anti-business to make sure that markets have rules to protect consumers. Taxi companies are regulated for a good reason and if they can't comply with that that then they are in danger of losing their licence. If somebody won't play by the rules then this is exactly what a regulator should be doing.

Uber are backed by hedge funds / huge amount of investment capital and do a lot of PR/lobbying with government and the press. This is where the right wing spin is coming from. I expect them to win their licence back once they get their act together.

Agree, they should have strict checks like all taxi firms but what they claim is that the TFL were responsible for the checks yet then claim the proper checks haven't been made. There is more to it than these checks and my guess it is purely political, caving in to other taxi companies complaining about unfair opposition.

In London millions of people value Uber. So they won't go away. I agree they must address safety issues. For me though there is another big issue which is that Uber is absorbing around the world huge losses. This is being done to penetrate and dominate the market place to the extent Google dominates search engines. Then the price will rise to make it highly profitable. I think there are big issues with black cabs wanting their own monopoly and protection from competition, but they also have a fair point that small business men (taxi drivers) can't compete against an organised multi national doing business this way.

Uber does carry out background checks, at least in the USA.

https://www.ridesharingdriver.com/will-you-pass-the-uber-background-check/

It's a relatively young start-up and doesn't yet make a profit as don't many start-ups but the outlook is more promising. If the business model wasn't good it wouldn't be so popular.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-leaked-finances-accounts-revenues-profits-2017-2

In London millions of people value Uber. So they won't go away. I agree they must address safety issues. For me though there is another big issue which is that Uber is absorbing around the world huge losses. This is being done to penetrate and dominate the market place to the extent Google dominates search engines. Then the price will rise to make it highly profitable. I think there are big issues with black cabs wanting their own monopoly and protection from competition, but they also have a fair point that small business men (taxi drivers) can't compete against an organised multi national doing business this way.
Same tactics as Amazon, grab the market. Although there are other similar cab companies, one in talks with TFL, and black cabs can use apps as well but have to make a living. Uber is a message service making money out of mini cab drivers who bear the risks.

Uber are setting up the infrastructure for driverless cars. In countries like China firms like Audi are also doing similar things. In 20 year there will not be taxi drivers. I understand where taxi drivers are coming from but they will go the same way as now and arrow makers and steam engine drivers. There are a few coties with driverless cars and a lot of countries where driverless trains are normal.

Archived