onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why is Tom Pope undroppable?

smithie

The cold, bald facts are that he hasn't scored all season, hasn't looked like scoring all season and is not really offering anything to the team (unless you count holding his arms up in perpetual annoyance or berating his teammates).

I'm not sure any other non-striking striker would keep his place at any other club....so why does Tom Pope?

I watched again last night as he was easily dealt with by the opposition and pondered if Turner and Pyke could do any worse. I started the season thinking Pope might get us 6 goals. I'm now wondering if he'll get any.

Advert

Ask yourselves the question.

Has he, or any other forward been squandering chances?

If not, then surely the problem lies with the fact that we are not creating goal scoring opportunities.

The shots on target stats for this season says it all.

If not, then surely the problem lies with the fact that we are not creating goal scoring opportunities.

In addition we are not getting down the side of teams in order to get any kind of decent delivery in to the box. We have no width and no proper full backs who can push on and help in that regard either.

Everyone with half a brain cell knows Tom Pope is at his most threatening when you have got wingers getting to the byline and crossing balls into the box.

We have an abundance of wingers, but a manager who doesn't know how to set a team up to its strengths.

Hoofing a ball 60 yards up the pitch to Pope, with his back to goal and no one getting in or around him is never going to work. Opposition defenders must love playing against us.

Everyone with half a brain cell knows Tom Pope is at his most threatening when you have got wingers getting to the byline and crossing balls into the box.

We have an abundance of wingers, but a manager who doesn't know how to set a team up to its strengths.

Hoofing a ball 60 yards up the pitch to Pope, with his back to goal and no one getting in or around him is never going to work. Opposition defenders must love playing against us.

I think that the last three replies have answered your question quite well. As Ray Williams said on RS last night when the question regarding lack of goals and Popey was raised when he said repeating the song 'Feed the Pope and he will score'. Then he added when will they start supplying him with some food!!! So don't blame Popey for the famine look at the lack of a food chain!

Kane, ronaldo, Rooney, messi, akinfenwe, shearer, Henri, naylor and foyle

All made their own chances if no service was or is being provided from wingers/midfield

Pope can't do this as he isn't fit or clever enough to do it

Just my opinion but factual.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

There were some decent crosses in last night but Tom was nowhere near them. Our best efforts were from ADF and Worrall.

Excuses for Tom aside, all strikers are judged on goals scored. He is/was cut some slack for his overall contribution to the team, but that has been missing all season.

Kane, ronaldo, Rooney, messi, akinfenwe, shearer, Henri, naylor and foyle

All made their own chances if no service was or is being provided from wingers/midfield

Pope can't do this as he isn't fit or clever enough to do it

Just my opinion but factual.

Can't believe you've just listed world class players like Foyle and Naylor in the same breath as Kane, ronaldo, Rooney, messi, shearer & Henry :wink:

Seriously though Tom Pope is none of those players, he isn't a player that can latch onto a through ball or turn and beat a man with a trick or a quick turn of pace. But get a good delievery into the box for him and play to his strengths and he might have a chance. You mention Akimnfenwa, look how Wycombe played to his strengths down at Vale the other week.

We are aimlessly hitting long balls up at Pope, hoping that he can flick it on, hold it up or win free kicks in the opposition half. That is the summation of our tactics this season.

Returning to my original question, he appears undroppable when so many others have been benched already this season....Gunning, Kay, Denton, Turner, Harness to name a few.

It's inconceivable that the issue of hoofing it to Pope isn't talked about in training, either by a disgruntled Pope or by a hopeful Brown.

MB has no problem kicking out all last season's players and dropping his other signings....so what's the difference?

I think that the last three replies have answered your question quite well. As Ray Williams said on RS last night when the question regarding lack of goals and Popey was raised when he said repeating the song 'Feed the Pope and he will score'. Then he added when will they start supplying him with some food!!! So don't blame Popey for the famine look at the lack of a food chain!

He was through on his own against notts county dan jones gave him yards start and caught him up before he got his shot away in the 18 yd box Tony Naylor at his age now would have walked that chance in the net. Get real he is past it he should not be in the team like the management team and the two chairmen that we have he should be nowhere near vale park.

Brown obviously doesn't rate the rest of the striking options.

I was concerned with Pope's form pre-season, just didn't seem like the same player - believe this to still be the case.

But I'm not blaming Pope for our current issues, this is on Brown and Smurf.

Point blank free header at Chesterfield saved. free header v Crewe hit bar. Totally free effort at Coventry to get a point with last kick. He has had chances....granted not many

Through ball v Notts Co.He's too slow to get on the end of crosses.Four on Saturday Tom,please.Feed the space and we won't score.Anyone notice the bit of skill by Dan Turner last night to set up Worrall?

And there lies your answer Emile. He isn't the same player. He is 5 years older than our promotion season. Basically a veteran now. Not much options open as Pyke hasn't stepped up to the mark. Barnett been out all season and despite his 2 goals in my opinion Turner isn't first team material yet but saying that he isn't been given a chance

Archived