onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Changes to the law

JOHNNYAITCH

What changes to our laws would you like to see introduced. Can be serious or can be trivial and just cos it's trivial it doesn't mean you are ignoring serious issues and just cos you don't mention an issue doesn't mean you are Ok with how things are.

What should be made illegal that isn't or made legal that is currently illegal. And equally importantly..why?

I'd like to see our drug laws changed so that drug use is decriminalised and addicts treated as opposed to being prosecuted as criminals. Dealing should remain a criminal offence though.

On the trivial side I'd like to see mobile/tablet use banned from all restaurants except in an emergency..and a facebook/twitter update does not qualify as an emergency :)

Advert

What changes to our laws would you like to see introduced. Can be serious or can be trivial and just cos it's trivial it doesn't mean you are ignoring serious issues and just cos you don't mention an issue doesn't mean you are Ok with how things are.

What should be made illegal that isn't or made legal that is currently illegal. And equally importantly..why?

I'd like to see our drug laws changed so that drug use is decriminalised and addicts treated as opposed to being prosecuted as criminals. Dealing should remain a criminal offence though.

On the trivial side I'd like to see mobile/tablet use banned from all restaurants except in an emergency..and a facebook/twitter update does not qualify as an emergency :)

If all drugs were made legal, would there be any dealers? Surely the legal suppliers would be far cheaper, it is the illegality that makes poppy seed products expensive.

Not sure....tobacco and alcohol is cheaper from illegal sources. I dare say the price from legal sources would be driven down as supply increased to meet demand and users had wider/easier access and so could choose where to get their drugs but there would still be illegal suppliers.

I suppose the half way solution is as per alcohol/tobacco illegal dealing should be a criminal offence

I think you're forgetting why drink and drugs trading was significantly tightened or banned in the first place - it was the effect on society. We've seen just how bad things have become with an illegal trade in drugs. If it was legalised wouldn't the effect be much worse?

Certainly that's how it was sold to the public..that illegality would benefit society..that and stopping stoned soldiers on the front line form killing each other

It could be that it's now good for society to make drugs legal though..that's part of the debate

Standardised sentencing

Life to mean life

The law being applied to everyone.. no exceptions or exemptions

no public disclosure of offenses before court appearance or charge laid

Allow pub owners the choice to have a smoking pub

Increase the price of alcohol comparatively to tobacco.

Legalise prostitution

Not sure....tobacco and alcohol is cheaper from illegal sources. I dare say the price from legal sources would be driven down as supply increased to meet demand and users had wider/easier access and so could choose where to get their drugs but there would still be illegal suppliers.

I suppose the half way solution is as per alcohol/tobacco illegal dealing should be a criminal offence

Instead of the Drug barons getting rich the equivalent taxes would go into the public purse to repair the drug damage?

You have to lick up anything you (or your animal) deposit on the pavement.

I'm in two minds about prostitution. On one hand, I obviously want sex workers to be as safe as possible. On the other, I don't feel comfortable with the state basically saying it is acceptable to pay to abuse women.

One thing that gets on my knapper is the thought that drug users are victims. They have their own mind. No one forces them to go down that slippery slope and the public purse should not be used to treat their addiction. So much petty crime (ie robbery, theft etc) is the result of these addicts need for a "fix". I know as I have been one of many victims of their crimes.

One thing that gets on my knapper is the thought that drug users are victims. They have their own mind. No one forces them to go down that slippery slope and the public purse should not be used to treat their addiction. So much petty crime (ie robbery, theft etc) is the result of these addicts need for a "fix". I know as I have been one of many victims of their crimes.

Of course they are victims. Whether their initial decision to consume was down to desperation, stupidity, peer pressure, whatever, the fact that they are then trapped in the hopeless spiral of addiction means that only a truly heartless **** could see them as anything other than warranting society's help.

Archived