onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Changes to the law

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

Oh, I was unaware of that. But isnt the car manufacturer still likely to blame the technology which presumably will be supplied by a different company ?

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Then they can pursue that company although it might be argued its Fords responsibility to supply a car without the fault.

Really though once there is one accident caused by the car the issue for Ford would be fixing it in all similar cars and will anyone trust their driverless cars any more? Will they be forced to recall them and so on.

• 1 month later...
Outrageous that social services in Tower Hamlets are allowed to place children with foster parents who do not speak their language.

Change the law now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/christian-girl-5-sent-to-muslim-foster-parents-speak-english-arabic-tower-hamlets-london-a7916071.html

Can't they use subtitles ?

Seriously, you aren't thinking properly - what about deaf and dumb people, they get around this. Children don't speak any language when they are born and can learn new languages fast. Don't be so narrow minded and blinkered in your thoughts.

Outrageous that social services in Tower Hamlets are allowed to place children with foster parents who do not speak their language.

Change the law now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/christian-girl-5-sent-to-muslim-foster-parents-speak-english-arabic-tower-hamlets-london-a7916071.html

Are you saying a child from overseas who arrives not speaking English should not be placed with an English speaking British family? Or indeed a young pre school British child who has grown up in a non English speaking family should not be placed with such a family?

Case by case..what's best for the child in a hopefully short term fostering situation.

Are you saying a child from overseas who arrives not speaking English should not be placed with an English speaking British family? Or indeed a young pre school British child who has grown up in a non English speaking family should not be placed with such a family?

Case by case..what's best for the child in a hopefully short term fostering situation.

So it's best for the child to become traumatised is it by putting her in unfamiliar conditions.

This was not a child from overseas,this was a five year old British girl who had been brought up in her own country,spoke English and had become very distressed at being put on this situation.

In reports seen by The Times, a supervisor allegedly described the little girl crying and begging not to be returned to the Muslim home where she said that "they don't speak English".

The Times claims the placements of the youngster were also made against her family's wishes.

This particular council was criticized by Ofsted recently for failing to consider the "history, ethnicity and culture" of youngsters properly.

They seem to have done the same in this case?

Can't they use subtitles ?

Seriously, you aren't thinking properly - what about deaf and dumb people, they get around this. Children don't speak any language when they are born and can learn new languages fast. Don't be so narrow minded and blinkered in your thoughts.

Not wishing to be politically correct but the phrase, "Deaf and dumb" should be consigned to the waste bin alongside other derogatory phrases/words.

Bea I'm not saying you meant anything by using the phrase as it is an old phrase that was commonly used way back, I'm assuming it was a "Slip of the tongue" but it is a phrase that's extremely offensive to deaf people. I innnocently learned the hard way some 40 years ago. Beethoven certainly wasn't dumb.

Apols for going off topic.

So it's best for the child to become traumatised is it by putting her in unfamiliar conditions.

Of course not...no one wants to see that nor is anyone suggesting that

This was not a child from overseas,this was a five year old British girl who had been brought up in her own country,spoke English and had become very distressed at being put on this situation.

I am aware of the case..but you said "Outrageous that social services in Tower Hamlets are allowed to place children with foster parents who do not speak their language"..I simply put fwd scenarios when it may not be so bad for the child that this happens.

In reports seen by The Times, a supervisor allegedly described the little girl crying and begging not to be returned to the Muslim home where she said that "they don't speak English".

The Times claims the placements of the youngster were also made against her family's wishes.

This particular council was criticized by Ofsted recently for failing to consider the "history, ethnicity and culture" of youngsters properly.

They seem to have done the same in this case?

In this case I agree it looks highly inappropriate to say the least..I was responding in general terms to your post that I thought was raising a general point regarding placing children in foster homes which don't speak their language.

Of course not...no one wants to see that nor is anyone suggesting that

I am aware of the case..but you said "Outrageous that social services in Tower Hamlets are allowed to place children with foster parents who do not speak their language"..I simply put fwd scenarios when it may not be so bad for the child that this happens.

In this case I agree it looks highly inappropriate to say the least..I was responding in general terms to your post that I thought was raising a general point regarding placing children in foster homes which don't speak their language.

Fair enough,I understand that a judge has ordered an immediate investigation into this case and the the child is now back with relatives.

Not wishing to be politically correct but the phrase, "Deaf and dumb" should be consigned to the waste bin alongside other derogatory phrases/words.

Bea I'm not saying you meant anything by using the phrase as it is an old phrase that was commonly used way back, I'm assuming it was a "Slip of the tongue" but it is a phrase that's extremely offensive to deaf people. I innnocently learned the hard way some 40 years ago. Beethoven certainly wasn't dumb.

Apols for going off topic.

Fair enough, and thank you for explaining politely and not scoring points off me - I prefer to use correct terminology, and will do so in future. I do know one deaf person who still uses that phrase though - perhaps it is still in common use amongst older/UK people ?

What is the correct terminology please - I guess 'people with hearing and speech problems' would be ok but I would like to know what is best here.

I'm sure you know from previous posts that no offence was meant and that dumb was not used to mean stupid but unable to speak clearly.

Back to the little girl - the child's interests come first, and I am afraid that I think the Daily Mail / Express or whoever ran it as a front page headline is doing so to inflame and couldn't give a toss about the girl. I'd hope that isn't true about the poster on here though.

Bea, It's a phrase that people commonly used way back with little thought what could be meant by it, I'm glad you accepted the post as you did. These days people just use the word deaf to describe people who can't hear.

I don't know the details of the little girl's situation but normally in such cases the the child's interests are paramount and come first.

What changes to our laws would you like to see introduced. Can be serious or can be trivial and just cos it's trivial it doesn't mean you are ignoring serious issues and just cos you don't mention an issue doesn't mean you are Ok with how things are.

What should be made illegal that isn't or made legal that is currently illegal. And equally importantly..why?

I'd like to see our drug laws changed so that drug use is decriminalised and addicts treated as opposed to being prosecuted as criminals. Dealing should remain a criminal offence though.

On the trivial side I'd like to see mobile/tablet use banned from all restaurants except in an emergency..and a facebook/twitter update does not qualify as an emergency :)

Ban facebook and twitter

Put Jeremy Kyle in prison

Those will do for starters imho

Archived