onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

British Lions Tour 2017

NZ PVFC

Advert

Great advert for rugby. Bacon rolls in the pub were really good too. Feels like a bit of an anticlimax though at the moment

Sent from my F5121 using the onevalefan mobile app

I'm in a good place with the result now although I agree with Sam Warburton though and think future tours should be settled. Either way it's been a fantastic series.

I also think if you drew up a XV best players the make up would be pretty equal. As for Lions players Itoje, Williams, Davies, Farrell, Murray, George and Watson deserve a special mention.

Last but not least a massive pat on the back for Gats. I still don't agree with the ridiculous call ups but he got the test series bang on & credit where credit's due.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Amongst the many positives it highlighted how there are so many ways to win (or draw). you can have all the slinky, skilful, athletic and fast backs doing their stuff but a set of tough, skilful (in their own way), hardworking, organised and determined forwards can be just as effective in getting you a result. They don't catch the eye but without them your backs would win you nothing

Jonathan Davies absolutely stood out for me as the best player from both sides across the series

Amongst the many positives it highlighted how there are so many ways to win (or draw). you can have all the slinky, skilful, athletic and fast backs doing their stuff but a set of tough, skilful (in their own way), hardworking, organised and determined forwards can be just as effective in getting you a result. They don't catch the eye but without them your backs would win you nothing

Jonathan Davies absolutely stood out for me as the best player from both sides across the series

As the old saying goes, forwards win games, backs decide by how much. The number of handling errors both teams made shows how good the defences were.

I forgot Sean O'Brien in my post above, a fantastic player who played tremendously

Watched the replay yesterday - hugely encouraging performance by the Lions. I was surprised at how many mistakes the All Blacks made, at times they looked over-anxious and at others were clearly rattled by the Lions. Makes me think England have a real chance in 2019 but there's a long way to go. Great performance.

What is there for all to see is the cultural differences between Northern & Southern Hemisphere rugby union. Southern hemisphere want to score tries, whereas Northern hemisphere want to maul and kick points. Southern hemisphere have won 7 out of 8 World Cups. You decide which is the better way to play.

I think there are more reasons than the style of play but it's a factor..it's hard to defend defend defend for 80 minutes

When England won it, it was pretty simple why..we had half a dozen world class players playing at their peak and the rest weren't too shabby either......the style of play wasn't the issue, just the sheer quality of the players.

I'd back that 2003 team at its peak against any current international team

I think there are more reasons than the style of play but it's a factor..it's hard to defend defend defend for 80 minutes

When England won it, it was pretty simple why..we had half a dozen world class players playing at their peak and the rest weren't too shabby either......the style of play wasn't the issue, just the sheer quality of the players.

I'd back that 2003 team at its peak against any current international team

But the win, as fantastic as it was, was built on a dominant front 8 and the boot of Wilkinson. But that is not meant to detract from a phenomenal effort, especially when achieved in the Australians back yard !

But the win, as fantastic as it was, was built on a dominant front 8 and the boot of Wilkinson. But that is not meant to detract from a phenomenal effort, especially when achieved in the Australians back yard !

Yes but if we'd tried to dominate thru our front 8 with lesser players we'd not have succeeded..it was their quality that allowed that style to succeed not the style itself. Add Wilko and Robinson to that and you have world cup winners!!! Yeyyyyy!!!

Yes but if we'd tried to dominate thru our front 8 with lesser players we'd not have succeeded..it was their quality that allowed that style to succeed not the style itself. Add Wilko and Robinson to that and you have world cup winners!!! Yeyyyyy!!!

Agree with all your comments. It just seems a different mindset between the 2 hemispheres on how to play.

Undoubtedly..but neither is the lesser style....although I must admit I've seen some terrible games where it was pretty much a pile of steaming bodies in the middle of the pitch for 80 minutes...great for some of those participating but not much of a spectacle for those watching!!!

Archived