onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

British Lions Tour 2017

NZ PVFC

Advert

I watched the whole of the first test. There were a number of things that struck me. Clearly the task the Lions are taking on is very challenging including playing a very well established world champion team on the other side of the world with a squad / team being set up at short notice from scratch. More broadly, I felt New Zealand had better athletes able to play the game at a higher pace, with better endurance and an enabling an approach to using strength in a more assertive manner. I didn't think there was a great deal of difference in individual skill but New Zealand were better drilled - to be expected of an established team that are world champions and playing in their own environment and stadium. To win the second test the Lions need to take chances they missed in the first test and bridge this athleticism gap in all its dimensions. Maybe they can, maybe they can't, but some change in personnel is definitely needed. To put it bluntly tubby strong boys need benching and mobile strong boys need to come in and perhaps I am implying that Union is becoming more like League? I have to admit that I have never played rugby.

I watched the whole of the first test. There were a number of things that struck me. Clearly the task the Lions are taking on is very challenging including playing a very well established world champion team on the other side of the world with a squad / team being set up at short notice from scratch. More broadly, I felt New Zealand had better athletes able to play the game at a higher pace, with better endurance and an enabling an approach to using strength in a more assertive manner. I didn't think there was a great deal of difference in individual skill but New Zealand were better drilled - to be expected of an established team that are world champions and playing in their own environment and stadium. To win the second test the Lions need to take chances they missed in the first test and bridge this athleticism gap in all its dimensions. Maybe they can, maybe they can't, but some change in personnel is definitely needed. To put it bluntly tubby strong boys need benching and mobile strong boys need to come in and perhaps I am implying that Union is becoming more like League? I have to admit that I have never played rugby.

I respectfully disagree because I think if we try and play them at their game they will murder us. We need to tighten up and take our chances- all of them. The real difference between the two teams is just how clinical the All Blacks are and that's a culture thing. Kids here generally want to play for Man U or Liverpool and then find rugby. Kiwi kids want to be All Blacks, that's it- they have literally been working up to every game they play their whole lives. That will never happen here.

Great result ! In the end it seemed that the man advantage just got the Lions over the line. But let's not forgot that despite their numerical disadvantage the All Black's still nearly won. Discipline though (as in the 1st Test) is still a worry. The Lions HAVE to improve that area otherwise they WILL lose the decider. But, who even thought that the 3rd Test would be anything other than a "dead rubber". BRING IT ON !

Fantastic result and tremendous courage shown by the Lions. Obviously going down to 14 men has an effect, that's why you send players off, but put the result into context..15 guys who haven't played together ever beat possibly the most dominant team in the world of elite sport in their own back yard. Great sportsmanship shown by the All Blacks too.

Table booked at local pub for next Saturday...if we can stay with them for the first 20 mins we'll see what these All Blacks and Lions are really made of.

I thought it was a right mess until the last twenty minutes. I'm at a loss how they can lose their discipline over & over again. I know they won but I would swing the axe- Mako being the first casualty.

It's also looking like Sean O'Brien is going to miss the test, he's been cited and it looks fairly conclusive that he swung an arm. That means a reshuffle in the backs three which means next week is going to be a massive test.

I thought it was a right mess until the last twenty minutes. I'm at a loss how they can lose their discipline over & over again. I know they won but I would swing the axe- Mako being the first casualty.

I started to think it was deliberate just to prevent tries!!!!!! Cole for me..he has the skills and experience

It's also looking like Sean O'Brien is going to miss the test, he's been cited and it looks fairly conclusive that he swung an arm.

Could go either way

That means a reshuffle in the backs three which means next week is going to be a massive test.

Was always going to be. Will as always be won and lost up front...stop Rattallick and Whitelock so I'd consider dropping Jones.

SOB is clear to play next week.He was motm for me.His performance on the breakdown was outstanding and kept Retallick on the back foot and there's not many (if any that can do that for 80 minutes).

A major issue for me is the feed on the put in with the ABs it's that crooked that Smith is giving it straight to Read and he's a number 8 on both tests.Mako obviously targeted BB in the second half and tbh should have done more damage as he seemed hell bent on a yellow card.Buzzing for next week and it's great to see loads of Lions colours out and about🦁

A major issue for me is the feed on the put in with the ABs it's that crooked that Smith is giving it straight to Read and he's a number 8 on both tests.

To be honest they all do it,,although some more blatantly than others. Would take a brave ref to pull one team up on it. There is no competition for the ball at the put in any more.

Good news also that SBW will be missing.

But the number of daft penalties we gave away was totally unprofessional and downright senseless given that we had a man advantage. If they'd kicked well we would have lost that game - against 14 men! I bet they would have run riot if we'd had a man down for 70 minutes.

That said, it was a more intense affair. Atoje and Warburton did make a bit of a difference and Lawes should be getting more game time.

Can't see the Blacks losing two in a row at home but should be a cracker.

Good news also that SBW will be missing.

But the number of daft penalties we gave away was totally unprofessional and downright senseless given that we had a man advantage. If they'd kicked well we would have lost that game - against 14 men! I bet they would have run riot if we'd had a man down for 70 minutes.

That said, it was a more intense affair. Atoje and Warburton did make a bit of a difference and Lawes should be getting more game time.

Can't see the Blacks losing two in a row at home but should be a cracker.

for me, it has to be Itoje & Lawes on Saturday, the only thing I would say to the contrary, is Lawes is a fantastic weapon to bring off the bench. There is a lot of emphasis at the moment regarding the 23, not just the 15 and getting your subs right, at t the right time. Like him or loathe him, Gats got it right on Saturday

Archived