onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Michael Brown hoping to stay and prove he can be a success

News Feed

To be fair, you cant rebuild a squad in January, particularly one that loses its backbone of Alnwick, grant & jones overnight. Not 100% sure if I'd give brown the job but I don't agree with the vitriol that is going his way.

He doesn't really help his case when he says he needs 16 new players next season....on the eve of our appointment with the Last Chance Saloon. It's not a great motivational tactic when he needs the players at his disposal to give it their all tomorrow.

He's got form for this in his short tenure....publicly questioning Thomas' "illnesses" and then telling fans to lay off criticizing the players!

I want him to succeed, I really do. But he'd be the first to acknowledge it's a results business. We've lost 5 on the bounce and not scored a single goal in those games.

Plenty of managers have been dismissed for less than that.

Looking purely at results (and some performances) since he took over, it's quite hard to make a compelling case for him to keep the job.

Advert

He doesn't really help his case when he says he needs 16 new players next season....on the eve of our appointment with the Last Chance Saloon. It's not a great motivational tactic when he needs the players at his disposal to give it their all tomorrow.

He's got form for this in his short tenure....publicly questioning Thomas' "illnesses" and then telling fans to lay off criticizing the players!

I thought the timing of this statement was questionable, professionally and I know that's not a word associated with Port Vale, this statement should have been made by whoever is the confirmed manager AFTER the retained list is announced.

It's easy to slate Brown from afar and looking at the Table we've been poor, no doubt about it.

But he isn't a fool as many would have us believe and the problems he's had to contend with have been well documented.

I've said this many times but we have never had an injury crisis as bad as we've had since Xmas. 9-10 lads injured at once and many of them key players like Guy, Thomas, Walker, Knops, Foley, Shadipo, etc. Had these players each played another 4-5 games we would have survived as we're only talking 3-4 more points.

If Grant, Alnwick and Jones had all stayed, we'd also have made it.

I doubt Brown wanted to lose any of these players or have an injury crisis on his hands. He's done his best to try and improve performances but his Sentinel interview today is revealing I think. He knows, and we know, that we don't have enough quality in the team, despite making us fitter and stronger.

I think he's shown that he can spot a player. Is there anyone who would not want say Eagles or Bikey to sign for next year? Guy and Walker would have given us more pace and threat if they'd kept fit. He worked hard to try and get Jones to stay. So I don't think he's shown himself unaware of the problems.

If targeted players won't come here because of the way NS treated some of his employees, low wages and the risk of relegation, there isn't much Brown can do. It was mission impossible from day one and the injury crisis made things worse. It hasn't gone to plan but I appreciate what Brown has tried to do and I'd give him a full pre-season on a rolling 12 month contract to see if he can put things right and give us some badly needed stability. We face an almighty task as it is and I'd rather not change managers every 6 months as it's a recipe for chaos and very unsettling.

I thought the timing of this statement was questionable, professionally and I know that's not a word associated with Port Vale, this statement should have been made by whoever is the confirmed manager AFTER the retained list is announced.

I think Brown will be doing the retained list. I agree with what he says too, judge him with his own squad, I'd ne happy for us to keep him.

U r as good as the results u get .

After the Wimbledon game i was thinking there is a bit of John Rudge there but since then the games ive attended apart from say first 15 mins of second halves ive seen little to suggest he can motivate and be a good manager .

He isnt the bravest of managers ive seen nothing to suggest we were going change the system and have a real go and win games .

We have no wingers and if we have he hasnt used them or given them a chance to light up the park

He has played injured players to justify his dislike of the foreign contingent brought in by bruno ,why would u do that Brown maybe someone should ask him .

Did Pughs playing with a injury and getting sent off v Rochdale start the bad luck off my question to Brown iswhy play him as nowts gone right since .

He seems a bit to conservative ,i want the manager be brave play 3 at the back and go for it .

He doesnt come think of it what does he do .

As Paul Daniels would say Not a lot .

It's easy to slate Brown from afar and looking at the Table we've been poor, no doubt about it.

But he isn't a fool as many would have us believe and the problems he's had to contend with have been well documented.

I've said this many times but we have never had an injury crisis as bad as we've had since Xmas. 9-10 lads injured at once and many of them key players like Guy, Thomas, Walker, Knops, Foley, Shadipo, etc. Had these players each played another 4-5 games we would have survived as we're only talking 3-4 more points.

If Grant, Alnwick and Jones had all stayed, we'd also have made it.

I doubt Brown wanted to lose any of these players or have an injury crisis on his hands. He's done his best to try and improve performances but his Sentinel interview today is revealing I think. He knows, and we know, that we don't have enough quality in the team, despite making us fitter and stronger.

I think he's shown that he can spot a player. Is there anyone who would not want say Eagles or Bikey to sign for next year? Guy and Walker would have given us more pace and threat if they'd kept fit. He worked hard to try and get Jones to stay. So I don't think he's shown himself unaware of the problems.

If targeted players won't come here because of the way NS treated some of his employees, low wages and the risk of relegation, there isn't much Brown can do. It was mission impossible from day one and the injury crisis made things worse. It hasn't gone to plan but I appreciate what Brown has tried to do and I'd give him a full pre-season on a rolling 12 month contract to see if he can put things right and give us some badly needed stability. We face an almighty task as it is and I'd rather not change managers every 6 months as it's a recipe for chaos and very unsettling.

Excellent assessment of the situation Michael Brown has been in and I for one is willing to give him a chance, after the game on Saturday I had a quick word with him and Morgan and they were very hungry to put things right if given the chance and was impressed with there attitude and hurt at the situation we are in.

It's difficult to put your finger on where the players end and where the manager starts.

However, it's the manner of the last five defeats to nil may be the factor that costs Brown the job on a permanent basis. Or at least it might at a normal club.

I think Brown will be doing the retained list. I agree with what he says too, judge him with his own squad, I'd ne happy for us to keep him.

For the millionth time "his own squad" doesn't exist. Managers do not get their own squad until they've been in place for years, they have to work with what they've got. He even had a transfer window and ****** it up signing donkey's

Smurf will go for the cheap yet again. Promise the world and get the dregs of the world to play for us.

Well the budget isn't going to be that great next season, as season tickets wont be flying off the shelf. Smurf will not sell the club and he cant keep pumping his money into the club.

Brown has already said he wants to bring in 16 players, so we are going for quantity again, as we have most of the squad here for another season I do believe.

Excellent assessment of the situation Michael Brown has been in and I for one is willing to give him a chance, after the game on Saturday I had a quick word with him and Morgan and they were very hungry to put things right if given the chance and was impressed with there attitude and hurt at the situation we are in.

Will he/them get the backing from Smurf, Smurf will be trying to cut the budget now as we head into Div 2. Releasing players will be a drain on funds and lack of fans willing to pay money to watch Vale after a season we have gone through.

The question is would players want to come to Vale after Smurfs reputation of blunders and Brown coming out with comments about the squad being cut and needing new players before an important game. A passing comment to the Senile reporter no doubt, who just happens to publish it before the game - their way of kicking the Vale yet again for not playing in red and white.

Brown's top tip on "How to motivate the players". By the way can you have a cracking game tonight - oh yes - your not in my squad for next season. Have a nice day.

Thought we had more youngsters - which were tipped for next season to make the club millions. I know we got rid of several when Bruno left.

I think the only youngsters out of contract will be Gibbons, Pickering and Reeves. I guess Reeves and Gibbons may get another deal as they've been in and around the first team a few times each this season. I also assume there may be others as well as the kepper Slinn getting a deal from the youth team too. But if Brown is looking at another 16 players then it looks like we'll have a squad of 30 next season which should see some of those youngsters going out on loan.

Archived