onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Michael Brown hoping to stay and prove he can be a success

News Feed

Whatever happens on the managerial front I think we'll see - again - some enormous changes in the summer.

No doubt we'll pay off the contracts of most of those overseas stars that Bruno signed and perhaps keep only 2-3 of them.

Others who we would want to stay will probably go as they'll get offers from league one clubs - like Foley and Bikey and Streete. Maybe Smith to the Championship too although playing in a poor team might have cost him that move and means that we won't get a massive fee for him.

Brown saying that we need about 16 new players makes compete sense. If the bulk of the squad don't realise that they've been awful all season long and that their careers are on the line then they must be as daft as the Chairman.

Advert

Whatever happens on the managerial front I think we'll see - again - some enormous changes in the summer.

No doubt we'll pay off the contracts of most of those overseas stars that Bruno signed and perhaps keep only 2-3 of them.

Others who we would want to stay will probably go as they'll get offers from league one clubs - like Foley and Bikey and Streete. Maybe Smith to the Championship too although playing in a poor team might have cost him that move and means that we won't get a massive fee for him.

Brown saying that we need about 16 new players makes compete sense. If the bulk of the squad don't realise that they've been awful all season long and that their careers are on the line then they must be as daft as the Chairman.

I personally do not want the man who plays Pugh & Taylor every week signing 16 players

Smurf will go for the cheap yet again. Promise the world and get the dregs of the world to play for us.

Well the budget isn't going to be that great next season, as season tickets wont be flying off the shelf. Smurf will not sell the club and he cant keep pumping his money into the club.

Brown has already said he wants to bring in 16 players, so we are going for quantity again, as we have most of the squad here for another season I do believe.

If he stays on, I suspect he's in for an almighty shock when it comes to season ticket sales. I predict less than 1000 sold. Not that he gives a toss.

For the millionth time "his own squad" doesn't exist. Managers do not get their own squad until they've been in place for years, they have to work with what they've got. He even had a transfer window and ****** it up signing donkey's

The transfer window was dictated by (a)loss of key players (b)injuries ©the chairman's refusal to finances new signings.

In essence these were the only players available that cost nothing. Michael Brown wanted other players not the ones who signed but the chairman would not sanction them. Don't judge him on who he brought in.

The transfer window was dictated by (a)loss of key players (b)injuries ©the chairman's refusal to finances new signings.

In essence these were the only players available that cost nothing. Michael Brown wanted other players not the ones who signed but the chairman would not sanction them. Don't judge him on who he brought in.

In a rare moment, I agree with Ray. Calling them 'his players' is wrong. I'm pretty sure Pugh/Bikey etc were well down his list of potential signings, but they're still better than what we had available. I think they were the only ones he could get his hands on, and he knew what he had was going to take us down. It was worth a shot.

The bit I've been disappointed with Brown is actually the thing I thought he'd have no trouble with. Organisation. We look as disorganised as ever. I think the players are trying, but the situation was hurtling towards catastrophe when Brown took over, I've been disappointed he hasn't managed to arrest the slide. I'm not sure if I want him to be manager, But I fear that if we sack him, he'll take what he's learnt here, and go on to be a good manager elsewhere and we'll miss out on the benefits. It's a tough call.

No matter what anyone says, the Alnwick sale is the SINGLE biggest in-season disaster we've had. Of course with the sell-on fee we had no option but to sell him, but the failure to adequately replace him haunts this club and looks like it will end up sending us down. Fasan/Mehmet have cost us several points with their ineptitude. It's hard to see how Boot could have been worse than these two. At least they should have a career in the circus after they get released in the summer.

It's easy to slate Brown from afar and looking at the Table we've been poor, no doubt about it.

But he isn't a fool as many would have us believe and the problems he's had to contend with have been well documented.

I've said this many times but we have never had an injury crisis as bad as we've had since Xmas. 9-10 lads injured at once and many of them key players like Guy, Thomas, Walker, Knops, Foley, Shadipo, etc. Had these players each played another 4-5 games we would have survived as we're only talking 3-4 more points.

If Grant, Alnwick and Jones had all stayed, we'd also have made it.

I doubt Brown wanted to lose any of these players or have an injury crisis on his hands. He's done his best to try and improve performances but his Sentinel interview today is revealing I think. He knows, and we know, that we don't have enough quality in the team, despite making us fitter and stronger.

I think he's shown that he can spot a player. Is there anyone who would not want say Eagles or Bikey to sign for next year? Guy and Walker would have given us more pace and threat if they'd kept fit. He worked hard to try and get Jones to stay. So I don't think he's shown himself unaware of the problems.

If targeted players won't come here because of the way NS treated some of his employees, low wages and the risk of relegation, there isn't much Brown can do. It was mission impossible from day one and the injury crisis made things worse. It hasn't gone to plan but I appreciate what Brown has tried to do and I'd give him a full pre-season on a rolling 12 month contract to see if he can put things right and give us some badly needed stability. We face an almighty task as it is and I'd rather not change managers every 6 months as it's a recipe for chaos and very unsettling.

Personally I'm far from convinced in his ability to be a successful manager on the evidence so far. But if the reason that players won't sign for us is because of the reputation of the club due entirely to our daft owner and because of the poor wages then there is no reason to think that this is going to change next season.

So I would suggest that if Brown wants to hang on to his reputation then he needs to walk if Smurf stays. If Smurf sells then it is likely that the new owners will see sense and appoint an experienced lower league manager.

We are entirely in Smurf's hands unfortunately so I don't expect anything remotely sensible to come out of this.

Personally I judge him on a variety of things including his bizarre weekly team selections, strange tactics, crazy subs, the players he has brought in, alienating Thomas, the amount of muscle injuries players have incurred since he took over training, the fact he was involved in the previous regime, his failure to close down the Jones deal, his alienation of certain foreigners who are absolutely no worse than players like Pugh, Taylor, Hooper and Tanser, the brains trust he has created around him who don't seem to do anything other than get aggressive with opposing players, the constantly bizarre post match comments etc. He's also managed the team for more than half the entire season. This all culminates in a horrific win ratio amongst the worst in the club's history.

I loved Brown as a player, my MD is a friend of his, but he's failed to create a team in his style and he's put his faith in the wrong people. Sadly it seems it's a classic case of a superb player not transcending into a manager of quality.

The relationship between Smurf and the fans is in my opinion beyound repair, the mis-trust generated by alledged false accounts is not laughable but a sad reflection of how the season has descended into a farce. I was always told 'its a poor tradesman that blames his tools' (pardon the pun) so for those who defend Brown and Brown himself even if the players had a lack of skill he could have and should have motivated them into at least fighting to stay up, five defeats and no goals scored is an abysmal run of form even for a bad team.

Knowing the Chairman has Brown does why would he want to stay? Does he really believe Smurf is going to fund another 16 players for next season in L2 (yes it is L2 and we all know it next year) with reduced ST sales and reduced fans. If the club sells will the new owners (and I doubt Smurf will sell) want a rookie manager with a record like Brown, I doubt not.

This season is a season of failures, for Smurf a gamble that did not turn out should have been followed by not another gamble on a rookie manager but an experienced manager with L1 knowleadge and how to take a team that "is not his" and form them into some short of shape to stay up. Dont forget where we were in the league at Bruno had gone! For Brown this was his chance to take the bull by the horns and drag and grind results so we stay up, he started mid table, he did not and we have paid the price.

So Mr brown wants to right the wrongs with new investment and to build a team for L2 next year, would anybody in their right mind let him do that with his record, only one person may and that is Smurf.

Next season we need a new owner and a new manager I fear we will get neither but at least we should get a new manager.

I cant believe our season has ended up like this - relegation and the club being run like something out of the Britas Empire.

For the millionth time "his own squad" doesn't exist. Managers do not get their own squad until they've been in place for years, they have to work with what they've got. He even had a transfer window and ****** it up signing donkey's

Why do you consistently refuse to accept Smurthwaites lack of support during the transfer window ?

Why wont you accept Brown had his hands tied and was left with the dregs ?

Personally I judge him on a variety of things including his bizarre weekly team selections, strange tactics, crazy subs, the players he has brought in, alienating Thomas, the amount of muscle injuries players have incurred since he took over training, the fact he was involved in the previous regime, his failure to close down the Jones deal, his alienation of certain foreigners who are absolutely no worse than players like Pugh, Taylor, Hooper and Tanser, the brains trust he has created around him who don't seem to do anything other than get aggressive with opposing players, the constantly bizarre post match comments etc. He's also managed the team for more than half the entire season. This all culminates in a horrific win ratio amongst the worst in the club's history.

I loved Brown as a player, my MD is a friend of his, but he's failed to create a team in his style and he's put his faith in the wrong people. Sadly it seems it's a classic case of a superb player not transcending into a manager of quality.

You also refuse to accept Smurthwaites influence on Browns decisions.

As for Jones speak to Smurthwaite and ask him why he refused to finance the deal.

It will get through eventually:ohmy:

Bizarre weekly team selections - He's trying to find something that works. I don't think he can be blamed for shuffling our terrible pack around to see if he can find a good hand

Strange tactics - Agree in part, but it's down to the poor quality of the squad

Crazy subs - Agree. It cost us at least 3 points v Bristol & Bradford. Maybe more elsewhere

Players brought in - Mentioned that in a a previous post.

Alienating of Thomas - Not great man management. But Thomas was hardly on fire prior to this. He's been a disappointment in our eyes

Muscle injuries - The players just simply weren't fit enough prior to his taking over. Some of the latter ones aren't good but it's almost impossible to get players up several levels of fitness mid-season.

Involved in the previous regime - He wasn't involved, he was a peripheral figure. He'd been totally marginalised.

Jones deal - I don't think Alex Ferguson could have closed that deal. Stay in the madhouse or join a playoff team for more money. Not exactly a tough choice.

Alienation of foreigners - Who's good enough from those lot to play? He tried Kiko at left-back, that's part of the problem!

Brain Trust - Hasn't worked. Would anything have worked? Unsure

Post Match Comments - Not helpful. I've found them frustrating but I suppose he's trying to portray a team that is still confident and positive. It hasn't really worked.

All in all, I can understand some of your points but you're not taking in to account a) the situation the club was in when he took over and b) The catastrophic state the club continues to be in. Brown has to take some of the blame, of course he does. Has he been given the tools to be successful? Not at all. That's why it's hard to gauge his success as a manager. I think the club is in a right mess off the field, it's extremely hard to build a winning mentality in that situation.

He's put his faith in those who want to play for Port Vale not those who want out.

He's put his faith in those who want to play for Port Vale not those who want out.

U could have fooled me have lost 5 on tbe spin thats hardly wanting play for the club .

There is nothing there the players have little to nothing offer .

The results tell u that .

League 2 tells us all the bigger story though and that is Smurfs gamble was a major failure.

If we r not top six by xmas then plan b comes into operation ,and plan b has being worse than plan A as we unless a miracle happens r going down .

Its smurfs fault 1 million per cent but the managers the players and the coaching staff havent covered themselves in glory either.

Archived