onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Marine: Murder changed to Manslaughter

mr.hobblesworth

A former marine who shot and killed an injured detainee had his sentence reduced from murder to manslaughter today and is expected to leave prison within a month after serving around 3 1/2 years.

Blackman’s court martial in 2013 heard how his patrol was tasked with assessing a Taliban fighter who had been badly injured by Apache helicopter fire. The marines disarmed him and dragged him to the edge of a field, where he was sworn at and mocked.

Once the Apache had gone and the marines had made sure they were out of sight of a British observation balloon, Blackman leaned in and shot the unarmed insurgent in the chest.

As the man’s body twitched, Blackman told him: “There you are, shuffle off this mortal coil, you ****. It’s nothing you wouldn’t do to us.” Moments later, he told colleagues: “Obviously this doesn’t go anywhere fellas. I’ve just broken the Geneva convention.”

I'm sure that many on here will disagree with me but I think this murderer should still be in prison and the footage of his mates whooping on the court steps whilst drinking champagne was pretty foul.

Advert

I agree, but I bet you'll get a lot of responses on here apoplectic you dare criticise a British serviceman.

I think any defence of Blackman can be negated by the fact that, mere moments after executing the man, he admits to breaking the Geneva Convention.

For me it sets a dangerous precedent for future incidents like this, blurring the line on lawful and illegal killings and allows "exceptional stress" and the consequent hatred of the Taliban to be used as 'diminished responsibility'. I feel this judgement will have serious ramifications down the line.

I agree, but I bet you'll get a lot of responses on here apoplectic you dare criticise a British serviceman.

I think any defence of Blackman can be negated by the fact that, mere moments after executing the man, he admits to breaking the Geneva Convention.

For me it sets a dangerous precedent for future incidents like this, blurring the line on lawful and illegal killings and allows "exceptional stress" and the consequent hatred of the Taliban to be used as 'diminished responsibility'. I feel this judgement will have serious ramifications down the line.

Can one of you do gooders on ere explain to me the difference between this so called murderer and that terrorist on Westminster bridge last week being shot dead by a police mp protection officer - should that officer be charged with murder as well ?

Can one of you do gooders on ere explain to me the difference between this so called murderer and that terrorist on Westminster bridge last week being shot dead by a police mp protection officer - should that officer be charged with murder as well ?

Simple. One was injured & disarmed, posing no immediate threat. The other armed & on a killing spree...

I do love this site at times.

The man did what he did, he has been deemed mentally ill after a decorated & unblemished career, he'ss been punished and now he's being released after a court judged him to have served his penance. I wonder why the system is insufficient for some people.

I just don’t get this. How can there be rules in War?

Personally, whilst I don’t condone any killings, these guys are sent to war by our government, mainly in areas of the world that have nothing to do with us. Most of the news we hear about these wars is for political gain. How can we expect young men to put their life on the line, but still follow rules?

Frankly, if somebody had spent hours trying to kill you, how would you feel once you got hold of them? Like I say, I am not condoning what he did, but until any of you experience that situation I think it’s unfair to comment.

For me, our armed forces have total respect and personally I think it’s an outrage that this man even spent time in prison.

The people whom should spend time in prison are individuals like Blair, whom sent our men into life threating situations, some never returning home. And for what, nothing more than political gain!

Oh, and what did we really achieve by sending our men off to their deaths in Afghanistan?

This country is full of do gooders, and that’s the reason it’s such a mess!

Sorry, but in a war zone....all emermies are 'immediate threats', watch below...it sort of sums this up in my view.

A former marine who shot and killed an injured detainee had his sentence reduced from murder to manslaughter today and is expected to leave prison within a month after serving around 3 1/2 years. (quote/) Perhaps if you like his army mates had served fighting against the Taliban you may have a different opinion. War is dirty and unfortunately soldiers react in ways that some may find abhorrent but if you were in conflict would you wonder if that wounded enemy soldier was likely to stick a knife in you when your attention was taken.

Not sure on two things here.

1) the man has had his charge reduced from murder to manslaughter yet you title the thread 'murderer...

2)....gets away with it' despite the fact he's spent 3.5 years in prison. Hardly getting away with it wouldn't you say?

To the poster above, how can a prisoner stuck you with a knife when he will have been strip searched before being put into custody. Note the word unarmed. Also be didn't kill him in self defence so kinda voids your point.

Not sure on two things here.

1) the man has had his charge reduced from murder to manslaughter yet you title the thread 'murderer...

2)....gets away with it' despite the fact he's spent 3.5 years in prison. Hardly getting away with it wouldn't you say?

To the poster above, how can a prisoner stuck you with a knife when he will have been strip searched before being put into custody. Note the word unarmed. Also be didn't kill him in self defence so kinda voids your point.

Think he was generalizing rather than being specific to the injured insurgent.Reminds me of "Saving private Ryan"in that when you let someone off the hook it could cost you dearly.

What happens on the battlefield should stay on the battlefield. Glad he killed him, if not he could have been one of these nutjobs trying to kill people in our country, still so long as its not your family who is affected i suppose that makes it ok to criticise.

He isnt a murderer as proven in a court of law, so i think the thread should be closed or at least heading changed.

I've tried really hard to just read this thread, but its reeled me in... "in the heat of battle" a telling phrase, these things happen in every conflict. If you've just had a fire fight and some of your mates have been killed then you capture one of them, it would take a strong person not to react. Plus the mental make up of recent foe's ie Japan, Vietnam, Korea, and now Taliband and isis are ruthless to prisoners and boobytrap their dead and wound, to kill more of us, they also use explosive vests even on children sometimes. It's a sad day and sign of the times that even the dead are used to kill... "the middle and far east adversary's don't fight civilised wars.

Archived