onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Oatcakes Diameter & thickness

Pheonix Vale

Advert

The best ones are the thin ones that vary a bit in size because they are hand made and not made by a machine. Personally I hate the North Staffs ones that are available in all the supermarkets and appear to sell well. They are very thick and dry but a bit better warmed up.

The best supermarket ones for me are Poveys from Aldi.

I think High Lane oatcakes are the best. The Hamil Road ones aren't bad either. Both are very thin and equally delicious cold and warm!

The best ones are the thin ones that vary a bit in size because they are hand made and not made by a machine. Personally I hate the North Staffs ones that are available in all the supermarkets and appear to sell well. They are very thick and dry but a bit better warmed up.

I soled a pair of shoes with a couple of North Staffs oatcakes.

High Lane Oatcakes are excellent. Goldenhill Oatcakes are very good too and they do a 12" diameter one that appears quite thick to me but I can't say if they're any good because I've never had one, I always buy their 'standard' size if I go there. My usual supply comes from Povey's shop in Biddulph as I live there and they're ok but they have a factory supplying various shops and mail order but I don't know if they're the same as the ones cooked in the shop.

I agree with Jean regarding the supermarket North Staffs ones, awful and risk ruining the reputation of the Staffordshire oatcake to the untrained palate.

I to think High Lane Oatcakes are the best, they're thin and about 10-12" in diameter and the texture is like "thin velvet" when fresh. If you store 'em in the freezer and then defrost them they assume a "harder/thicker feel". If then put into a microwave (say to melt cheese) they get back more of the "velvety feel" but not as much as when they're fresh.

What I'd give for some oatcakes and cheys reyt now.

I'm getting hungry reading this. Shame to say , but I've never had an oatcake. Next visit to Burslem then.

I know you're in Texas but you've never had an oatcake??? How come?

If (when) you have the pleasure make sure it's proper Potteries style, ie, with bakun, chayze n tomarter. Chedder chayze an owe not that Chesher stuff.

To be honest I've never had a bad one, store bought or not, the only bad experience was a burnt one as a one off from the shop in Leek, but aside from that, nothing. My local is the shop in Milton, which does pretty decent ones, I'm not really picky though. Just love them!

Also, I was reading a post about them on Facebook a few months back, has anyone ever tried oatcakes with curry on them?

I usually get mine from Mellors Oatcakes in either Clayton or Porthill. Living out of the area and just coming up on a Saturday for the match, both of them close around 1pm so I have bought them recently from Hamil Road.

Mellors are thicker than both Hamil Road and High Lane Oatcakes but are tasty and nothing like them disgusting supermarket offerings from North Staffs Oatcakes.

https://www.poveysoatcakes.com/

http://www.staffordshireoatcakes.com/

Try either of these for those living outside the area.

Archived