onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Oatcakes Diameter & thickness

Pheonix Vale

As a Burslem exile, I am having Oatcakes sent to me from an online firm. But I think they are undersize & flimsy. Could some of you in the Potteries, please suggest what the ideal diameter and thickness should be, thanks

Ah finally after all the troll threads of recent weeks a proper one with a proper cause! 😂

You don't want thick ones though and the diameter should be about an inch shy of a dinner plate.

Advert

I used to be able to buy Povey's from the a local butcher but it closed down and became a deli or something like that.

I can still get those North Staffs Oatcakes from my local supermarket but we all know they aren't right. It makes me feel sad that people from outside the area see them in the shops, they perhaps buy them out of curiosity and they think that's us. It not.

The best ones for me were from the legendary Hole in the Wall in Waterloo Street Hanley, sadly now gone. They were very thin, yet strong, beautifully salty and made in the old fashioned way with the mix allowed to stand overnight. Legendary.

When I get the chance, I normally go to the one at the bottom of Sneyd Bank or the one half way down Smallthorne Bank.

For anyone interested, there's a great book by Pamela Sambrook, a potteries' lass, on the history of the oatcake (titled "The Staffordshire Oatcake", published by Palatine Books in 2011). Great read with some great old photos - every page makes you want to eat one, so not for those on a diet :smile:.

The best ones for me were from the legendary Hole in the Wall in Waterloo Street Hanley, sadly now gone. They were very thin, yet strong, beautifully salty and made in the old fashioned way with the mix allowed to stand overnight. Legendary.

Sadly just a memory now, and running home with them too.

I lived in Minster St, off Park Rd. So our nearest was Hamil Road, We also had them from a corner shop in Jackfield Street, & also bottom of Smallthorne Bank, (they were made on a conveyer system). Also I had some from Waterloo Rd Burslem, Newcastle-U-Lyme, & Sneyd Green. The ones I am getting posted to me, are very thin, (my filling = bacon egg & tomato) ,- they break up , not strong enough? They have small pin holes in them like lace, size about 6in to 7in. (probably costs less postage ?) - Thanks for all your comments.

Make your own then they can be whatever size you want, and wont have poisonous chemicals like preservatives and emulsifiers and junk added.

:boring:

High Lane are my weapon of choice.

As Jean says, those thick ones are sinister; I bought some "Derbyshire Oatcakes" once which are akin to an American pancake so about 3 times the thickness of those Staffordshire Oatcakes- hard work at best

Used to like the ones from the main road in Newcastle(coming from the Trent Vale direction)and also didn't they do them in Fenton, near to a Wrights Pie shop?

I live out of the area now and had a massive job on my hands trying to convert the locals into supplying oatcakes. Now all the supermarkets and local stores get them, but they dunner taste like the real ones! Personally though, as I'm a human dustbin, I'll eat them from anywhere. Now.....what should I have for brekki?

As thin as possible and big enough to comfortably hold your filling of choice. Let the volume/size of filling dictate the diameter :wink:

Used to like the ones from Ball Green..now occasionally buy some from a mobile caf at the railway station I use in Somerset that is run by a guy from Norton Green...not sure if he makes them himself, will ask him next time.

Support your local oatcake shop....without your custom like so many local small retailers they will die out.

High lane are the very very best[/quote

Hi any chance you can shorten your name as the letters hide the first three words on your thread the letters are wweare like High lane are

W W E A R E may be brake it down to Wereskintand

weknowweare not having ago at your name but it just hides the start of what you are saying.

Archived