onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Northampton T

Fosse69

Campion? Junior? Slew? Greenidge? Luer? O'Sullivan? Panaytio whatever his name was? Most managers make good and bad signings. Bruno seems no different so far in that respect.

How many unproven players in Lge 1 did Bruno bring in at one go, well into double figures. Off the top of my head the players you mention were bought in spaced years apart not all at the same time and it's questionable who bought some of them in. I'm all for taking a chance of a few players at a time but double figures all at the same time.....

Advert

How many unproven players in Lge 1 did Bruno bring in at one go, well into double figures. Off the top of my head the players you mention were bought in spaced years apart not all at the same time and it's questionable who bought some of them in. I'm all for taking a chance of a few players at a time but double figures all at the same time.....

All within the space of 6 months actually. Bruno hasn't had the January window yet so see where we are after that?

Page inherited a team that had just won promotion at a canter, and carried that momentum on into their first few games

Come on LT, Vale didn't win promo at a canter it came down to a bit of a nail biter at the end and a fantastic away win at Yeovil if my memory serves me right. Rob Page inherited a team who'd made a dire start to the season and were at or near the botton of Lge 1, he turned the situation around admirably.

players have sometimes been played out of position because of injuries: Kiko was bought in as left back, but missed loads because of injury; the wingers Bruno brought in need more time so other players have had to fill in - and despite people saying Jones needs to play through the middle, he is most effective coming in from the right. Big...BIG teams have played without a recognized striker, without it doing them harm. it isn't so long ago that people on here were saying, correctly, that Bruno tends to assess the first half, and changes things for the second - so his tactics aren't inept - and many of you were saying that Page had no idea how to set a team up, so don't start praising him, now. As for "do you actually understand what's going on?" - yes, I do...I'm expressing my opinion, you ****!

LT and I'm expressing my opinion. I was never a critic of RP and look to only post positives about PVFC but the events in June/July left me cold and concerned. I don't know of any business that fills such an important position such as manager of a football club without in depth interviews/due dilligence call it what you like. My opinion for what it is worth is Bruno is out of his depth and I've not seen anything this season to change my mind.

silly marking has cost us again this zonal marking isn't working, but overall we played well probably the best game I've seen this season end to end the result could have gone either way when we equalised I thought we might push on and win but we lost our way after the substitutions, kiko de Freitas are looking better and better, reggie and jones do great but in some games I think we need some experience upfront to help them but if we play like that more often we will get results.

All within the space of 6 months actually. Bruno hasn't had the January window yet so see where we are after that?

Jordan Slew was a million pound player so other clubs thought he had potential, had Football League experience, he was signed on loan and only played a handful of games and scored two goals, I can't remember much about Junior but didn't he play for a higher Lge club, came on loan and played in the 1st team but was sidelined by injury. All managers and in some of these cases Chairman so rumoured make mistakes but comparing players bought in on 6 month loans with FL experience and/or from higher division clubs with 12-15 unknowns many bought in from lower overseas leagues at the same time and on one/two year contracts to prove your point is clutching at straws to put it mildly.

Teams are always being built, very difficult without a shed load of money to build in one season, ask the likes of Sheffield U. Teams can bounce back from relegation like Wigan, or if built strongly enough do a double like Burton. But with a high turnover of players like the Vale in recent years it is not likely. Bringing in a dozen or so players may produce 6 of first team quality, together with our existing players gives us the foundations, 3 or 4 key additions could be the difference but are the funds available? Thus steady progress and player development is all that can realistically be expected at the Vale, as with most L1/2 clubs.

Campion? Junior? Slew? Greenidge? Luer? O'Sullivan? Panaytio whatever his name was? Most managers make good and bad signings. Bruno seems no different so far in that respect.

Micky Adams signed Jordan Slew and Campion was already at the club when Page took over.

Page inherited a team that had just won promotion at a canter, and carried that momentum on into their first few games

At Northampton, whereas at Vale Page inherited a team that had won promotion 18 months earlier and were second bottom of the league having lost 5 games in a row including losing at Crewe - the only team below them in the league. He did OK.

Bruno's team selections leave a lot to be desired. Square pegs in round holes spring to mind. However because I support Port Vale I succumbed to my masochistic tendencies and I subjected myself to match after match of total tedium whilst Page was manager. Boredom would have been exciting under him. Nice bloke, badly treated by Smurf but his football was as dull as dishwater. Maybe I am a little odd but I want to be entertained by my side. Winning and entertained even better but entertained first and foremost. Yesterday I was entertained and I can see more of it to come.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment about the smallness of our team in relation to most others in our division. Set piece defending has become a problem. Remie and Nathan Smith are excellent up & coming central defenders with lots of future potential, but are still young, still learning their trade at this level and for me, a tad too short in height when it comes to set-pieces and taller opponents.

From an objective view point it was an open, entertaining game, but I thought Rob Page out-thought Bruno yesterday. Right from the start, he and Marc Richards used their inside-track knowledge and having won the toss immediately chose to attack the Hamil end--just a small detail, but nonetheless, purposefully disruptive and showing that they knew their opponents a little better than we apeared to be! Northampton's counter-attacking was fast and penetrative--something we seem to miss out on.

How can you say that page out thought bruno 2 goals from set pieces the other when remi went upfront to try score there third came from 2 deflections that could have gone to vale players but dropped both times to them.As for winning the toss and disrupting us wot a load of tosh nobody was in the bycars last week how did we go on just remind me please.Page made us a fast attacking i think not he played a winger who would not take the full back on who let purkiss do that he also played 2 centre back all season who were slow and not a football brain amongst them they are really doing well with there respective clubs this year look at the tables.The only thing i agree with is i would have richards back in a shot he would help reg no end we have some very good young players at the vale at the moment who can only improve keep the faith up the vale.

I have watched Vale for a long time and under Page after going a goal down we rarely responded and lamely lost .

However under Bruno /Browns team i c game after after game of heart character and endeavour .

Yes we dont seem to good as the table doesnt lie but we r a club of free signings ,players who other clubs gave got rid off so when we win its a massive achievement .

Up until the final whistle we didnt fold we kept going again yesterday and many other home games this season we have come from a goal down ( even two v Oxford ) .

Last two home games im very encouraged by what ive seen ,going forwards ,ok defensively yesterday we were abject we flowing forwards that often it was a surprise c them Northampton in our half .

Ok ive seen the three goals and we have been very docile on all three occassions .

We certainly r entertaining ,Northampton no mugs but they can keep Page .

He may have won the game but will he win the war ,in my opinion PVFC will finish above the cobblers .

Maybe a big towering centre half to be signed as yesterday we were to weak at the back but on the whole Streete and Smithy both very youngs pros r doing a grand job for us .

Utv

I think first and foremost it was a brilliant game to watch, probably the best game this season and any neutrals would have left thinking they had their monies worth.

The big difference for me was they were better in each box, they defended much better than we did and they worked Jak much more than we worked their keeper, Jak made three great saves and Streete made one excellent block to keep us in it until their third went in when we were chasing the game.

Individually we are improving with Reg, Amoros, De Freitas, Kiko all getting better each game, Kelly had his best game so far and was surprised when he was subbed unless he'd got an injury. Thought their number 14 Hoskins had a very good game and was very lively.

Great game of football of which I saw much promise but disappointing if fair result.

Spot on Tosh,wonderful game of football with both sides going for the win.Very unlucky to come away with nothing.Like I said last week,we're still a work in progress.

football at any level, scoring more goals than the opposition win games, luck plays a major part, skill endeavour commitment passion confidence and shots on target helps to improve the luck ratio in your favour, thought because our lack of shots on target and working there keeper was our biggest failure .Northampton season a bit like ours and like a good few teams in this league bit up and down, think we have improved and some of the younger members of the squad are starting to show the ability is there. you win games you should have lost, lose games you should have won, that's football,go and watch a football match first sometimes the opposition play some good stuff and are better on the day,its easy to be negative and blame manager player for a bad day at the office. I'am sure none of the player go on that pitch with any intention of losing or having a bad game. so what I'am trying to say in a roundabout way is a bit more positive thinking, the Vales been in a dark place for the past 15 years. our chairman got of to a bit of a bad start and as made many mistakes in his 1st years of a football club owner, but I think he wants to succeed and put the Vale in a more stable position. its his money he is trying a different approach with Bruno and some young foreign player, we need some stability first after all the years of turmoil. the call from some Bruno out Smurf out lets give our chairman and management team time.I would personally would like the chairman to work with the supporters club to try and mend some of the broken bridges with some supporters, as I've said many times on this forum we have a greater chance of success if we all pull together, like all Vale supporters I want success. keep the faith. U.T.Vale.

Archived