onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Abortion

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

Two things : (a) I think this is the wrong place for this sort of discussion; it's a light-hearted, football focused forum. Something as serious as abortion isn't what I want popping up on my front page when I check in to see if Big Reg is fit for Sunday. But more importantly (b) it's the sort of topic that no-one will have their mind changed on. People will state their opinions, there will be disagreements and no-one's mind will be be changed in the slightest.

Does the thread open automatically? or do you have to click the link to open it?

The chance of changing someones mind on a thread like this is extremely unlikely, it does make you think when you debate the topic but Im not trying to change anyones mind... more like learning differing views and in doing so perhaps adjusting/reinforcing my own views.

Debates like this, if not made personal [against the poster], are an opportunity to learn what and how other people think, more so if the people dont agree, and a chance to examine, question your own views.

JA has his opinion on the subject, I respect that even though I dont agree with it, I would hope he offers the same courtesy [i think he does]

I'm sure what a nuanced and sensitive debate like this needs is a load of middle aged men weighing in telling women what they should and shouldn't do with their bodies.

Is that a bit like a load of middle aged men telling the manager/team/player what they should or shouldnt do?

Im sure it does...

I dont use anything except a PC to access, if it loads differently on your chosen device let Rob know and he may be able to change it

As a PS

I get a home page thats ALL vale related with a small box "recent posts"

Forum I get each group of threads separately in list view

Whats new I obviously get a list of topics with new posts

I hesitate to join this discussion but, against my better judgment I will add a few thoughts.

Why does a debate on this subject always have to revolve around rape victims? In the USA, this accounts for around 1% of abortions.

The statistics for abortions carried out are horrifying. e.g. Every fourth child is aborted, one abortion every 20 seconds, 45% of women seeking abortions have had a previous termination. I could go on.

You can argue all day long about when life begins. The fact is, the human life that could have been has no say in the matter.

And before anyone jumps on me, I carry the burden of having agreed to my late ex-wife having had an abortion, for reasons that I will not share but which, in retrospect were purely selfish on both of our parts.

I hesitate to join this discussion but, against my better judgment I will add a few thoughts.

Why does a debate on this subject always have to revolve around rape victims? In the USA, this accounts for around 1% of abortions.

The statistics for abortions carried out are horrifying. e.g. Every fourth child is aborted, one abortion every 20 seconds, 45% of women seeking abortions have had a previous termination. I could go on.

You can argue all day long about when life begins. The fact is, the human life that could have been has no say in the matter.

And before anyone jumps on me, I carry the burden of having agreed to my late ex-wife having had an abortion, for reasons that I will not share but which, in retrospect were purely selfish on both of our parts.

I have no idea upon the relative abortion rates between the UK and USA, which may have a bearing upon attitudes. But arguments on here for no abortions would not allow for the rape situation, which is the most emotive case. Other circumstances such as the life of the mother, medical grounds etc have adherents. Religious beliefs and preservation of life are other factors against abortions. Attitudes will vary from place to place, as will laws which may determine the last termination date. But will never be agreed entirely.

A few more thoughts.

In 1991, half of all abortions performed in the UK were paid for privately, i.e. they weren’t free. Today, only two per cent of abortions are paid for privately.

Abortions are estimated to cost the NHS over £127m a year (£680 average cost).

Around £850,000 is spent on repeat abortions (women who have had a previous abortion) every single week in England and Wales.

Read the statistics: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/570040/Updated_Abortion_Statistics_2015.pdf

Its got nothing to do with me at all... but by the same argument given the law as it is whats it got to do with you?... we are both expressing our opinions... arent we?

My 'what's it got to do with you' is about the inconstancy of the pro- choice lobby who will argue it's the woman's choice but then put all sorts of caviats on that to cover situations they find a bit too icky..if you think it's the woman's choice then what have her reasons go to do with you..why the huge inconsistency.

Millions of people have mental health issues, some are locked up... do we apply a blanket coverage to lock them all up?... I agree some should but not all

Because with an abortion the outcome is always the same..the unborn's life is ended..it's about them so it's perfectly acceptable to have a 'blanket' response

Many millions of people have some disability do we class all of them as disabled?

That's miles away from my point

Its difficult to restrict people into one group or the other

The unborn children are in one group..they will be denied their life

... people arent like that... even life or death isnt that simple.

I'm not claiming it's simple..that's why it's taken me 30 years to get to where I am

In some circumstances I agree with abortion in others I dont... I dont believe life begins when the sperm penetrates the egg or when the cells split.

I do..hence my stance

I dont know when it does but I dont believe its that early.

If you don't know when it does then you have to accept that it could be then

I dont agree with the law as it stands but I wouldnt want to change it to a blanket ban.

Fair enough..I will keep arguing my point here and elsewhere..it's worth it

Two things : (a) I think this is the wrong place for this sort of discussion; it's a light-hearted, football focused forum. Something as serious as abortion isn't what I want popping up on my front page when I check in to see if Big Reg is fit for Sunday. But more importantly (b) it's the sort of topic that no-one will have their mind changed on. People will state their opinions, there will be disagreements and no-one's mind will be be changed in the slightest.

I suggest that you don't join the discussion then..I made the ead title simple so people could clearly see what it is about

I have changed people's minds and my mind has been changed over the years...I take every opportunity that I can to try to change minds..if I can change one more then it's worth it

I'm sure what a nuanced and sensitive debate like this needs is a load of middle aged men weighing in telling women what they should and shouldn't do with their bodies.

You are way of..its'about what they do with the unborn..an unwanted/unplanned pregnancy isn't a disease needing a cure

Archived