onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Oldham offer

Tomo

Besides signing footballers (Who over the past 20-years have just cost us money)what else does Port Vale invest in?

We are a small club as we've always had relatively small/medium business owners as our chairmen.

I would genuinely make the investment of giving every kid in the whole of Stoke on Trent (Under age of 15), even the ones you know are Sjoke fans, a free Vale shirt and a free season ticket which allows an adult to attend for say £10.

That is what gets people supporting your club. Stoke basically do this besides giving free tickets on mass. They go to schools with first-team players and hand out shirts. Once you have a Stoke shirt and live in Stoke you'll say you support Stoke.

No different if we do it. But we can do it even better.

Sure it will cost you LOADS, but the returns could be HUGE!

(Off the top of my head.................)

You give 1,000 tickets and shirts away and allow an adult to attend for £10....

Say 500 are U9 (Free)
    And 500 9+...and should be paying £10..
    Average cost of a current season shirt would be £25 for younger fans.
    I make that a rough figure of £30,0000 investment to the schools (for only 1000)
    Potentially will draw £10,000 back in tickets if adults attend with them.
    So about 20-odd grand initial investment based on 1,000 potential new fans.

Now if from that 1000 kids (with adults attending also), 100 of them (small number, only 10%)become supporters of the club - and one adult also begins to attend games

(Lets not forget there is something very sacred about going to the games with a member of your family, which is what usually gets you hooked)

Then it works out like this.....

Say when they turn 16, a season ticket will then cost £155.

So 100 X £155 = £15,500

If only 50 of the adults also got a ST

50 X £365 = £18,250

Combined total = £33,800

So an initial investment of around £30k could draw back £30,000 the following season if only 10% of the people targeted get involved with the offer.

This is all off the top of my head.

No figures included for programmes, drinks, food etc.

An initial investment when someone is young could see massive returns.

All I ask is a bit of imagination, this could easily be a plausible STRATEGY to get more fans.

Smurf just 'plans' with no actual strategic objectives of how to make his plans reality.

Too add to this;

We invest in players who never kick a ball. Why? Smaller squad and money more wisely invested - with bigger crowds, bigger budgets, more interest and an increase reputation of being a well run club ....... THAT will attract better players to the Vale alone.

You could legitimately ask what the commercial and ticketing office are playing at...but I've an inkling that the former work under difficult conditions.

That doesn't get anyone off the hook...and I wonder how ticket office staff spend their weekdays.

A major kick up the ass is needed for several people, but I've no confidence in that happening.

Advert

You could legitimately ask what the commercial and ticketing office are playing at...but I've an inkling that the former work under difficult conditions.

That doesn't get anyone off the hook...and I wonder how ticket office staff spend their weekdays.

A major kick up the ass is needed for several people, but I've no confidence in that happening.

The last successful marketing campaigns was target 5000.

Say what you like about Paul Wildes, but he knew how to sell something much more effectively than anyone currently connected with PVFC.

It wasn't cost effective though was it!

That being said our marketing is pretty abysmal. How about using social media for something a little more productive than simply snap chatting the same old boring warm ups every week?

It wasn't cost effective though was it!

That being said our marketing is pretty abysmal. How about using social media for something a little more productive than simply snap chatting the same old boring warm ups every week?

Probably more cost effective than having 3000 in the ground, as there will be tomorrow? Certainly less grim.

I wonder if there'll be a debriefing after tomorrow night to see how many students took up the offer!

I bet ya any money there is about 5-10 of them. No-one knows. I asked a few random lads if they'd heard anything about a football match at Vale tomorrow and no-one knew

a) who we are

b) there is even a game going on.

It will be brushed under the carpet and forgotten about.

Vale have some fantastic resources around them and they utilize nothing - not even the local media.

Can't see how there will be a decent take up if no bugger knows about it.

It has been advertised at Staffs Uni and students in sports societies and courses have been emailed.

Advertising student offers in the local paper is not cost effective and how many non vale supporting students will ever be looking on the official site? NSure people just look for reasons to have a downer on everything the club do.

Archived