onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Insane FA Cup-tie ideas!

smithie

I thoroughly agree with that. If you look at previous times such as the Burton game, it was a game that was already going to be busy but the promotion ramped up the crowd even more. The Burton game was also promoted really well with tweets telling us stands were close to selling out etc all ramping up the excitement and anticipation of a big crowd.

So, for me it should be three things -

1. A good offer (in terms of price and perhaps other things - hand out 10% off for the club shop vouchers, half-price parking if you have more than two people in your car, issue raffle tickets at the turnstiles and have a H/T prize draw - those sort of things).

2. A match that would be popular (Boxing Day vs Walsall is a great example)

3. Promote it properly - that means good use of Twitter, email, scoreboard, programme, flyers at the ground and (crucially) the local media to let people know about the offer.

There's no guarantee but do all the above and you'll probably stand a better chance of getting a bumper crowd than only doing one or two of the three...

I think it's a bad idea to give anything away on Boxing Day. We're almost guaranteed a decent crowd as are most clubs on that day. If we're trying to attract new and lapsed fans, do it when their attendance will boost the crowd.

I think we could get 5/6000 for the Cup tie but we MUST be more proactive and imaginative with ticket sales and information.

Advert

It will be interesting to see how Smurf markets this game, a victory could give us a pop at the elite so there are plenty of opportunities.

It's time for the tail to wag the dog. The marketing department need to tell Smurf what's needed for this game.

I think it's a bad idea to give anything away on Boxing Day. We're almost guaranteed a decent crowd as are most clubs on that day. If we're trying to attract new and lapsed fans, do it when their attendance will boost the crowd.

I don't agree - we've tried promotions for lesser attended games and they simply don't work - there's no noticeable increase in attendance.

If we're "guaranteed a good crowd" doesn't mean we can't generate an even bigger one. If there's an indication that people want to go to the game, why not try to get even more through the turnstiles. It's easier to market an attractive game than an unattractive game, after all.

So, the alternative argument is - if you want to get new and lapsed fans then do it for an exciting and (relatively) well-attended game.

It's arguably going to be more exciting for new fans to come to a game against Walsall that may have attracted say 6,000 and be in a crowd (after a heavy price promotion) of say 7,500.

Some really good ides on here so why oh why don't Vale at least attempt now to start doing something?

My opinion too is that any offers/freebies/discounts/beer tents etc, etc etc should NOT be for just 1 match. They need to become regular things to continue to get crowds of people excited again at attending a Vale Match. Norman has to look into regular, continuing aspects of attracting fans back for it to make any serious impact on a long term basis.

As a season ticket holder I have no qualms about offers that get fans back to our great Stadium., even if it reduced the actual effect of me buying my season ticket pre season. We all need to stick together and bombard Norman with the sensible, effective ides that are being aired here.

If it was me I would be radical and simply make it free for any children attending with an adult (I think you have to have that proviso in nowadays - can't let kids come in by themselves I guess).

I can't see how the kids prices do anything other than put a lot of people off coming because the price of attending with one or two kids is just too much.

We've read a lot of comments about Vale's fanbase decreasing because it's ageing - especially in the light of Stoke actively targeting youngsters and having PL football to promote.

So, why not just make it free entry for all children? If just 1 or 2% of those who come as a result end up as loyal supporters the amount of future revenue through shirt sales, season ticket sales and the likes would make it worth it. Not only that but you get more people at games (so a better atmosphere) and with a bigger crowd you sell more things like concourse food and drink and programmes.

Insane idea Number 7. Close the Railway Stand or Lorne Street stands for the Cup-tie, so we have a packed home end to kick towards for once.

The sight of a closed Bycars for the game against Stevenage, whilst financially prudent, was a sad sight.

Newcastle got 49,000 in for a League cup tie against Championship Preston. It was half term - advance price were £10 for adults and £3 concessions. Prices went up to £20 and £10 on the day. So much cheaper prices in advance are an incentive. Link it to Christmas in some - free black and white Santa hat for kids.

Make sure the tickets are on sale well in advance so no one has any excuse for not being able to buy one. And as everyone on here has said ADVERTISE THE OFFER.

I've said this before but I think we're missing a trick buy not targeting the universities more. Market it as 'proper' 'old-school', knock out some decently designed posters, £5 entrance with £5 off the following home game if you keep the stub, maybe even lay on transport. I imagine that the vast majority of the students at Keele and the poly wouldn't ever consider coming to Vale so even though this wouldn't be building a fanbase for the future, there would surely be a short term gain in terms of finance, atmosphere and possible repeat attendees.

The actual day could be marketed better, even put on some more festive stuff like mulled wine and make it like an actual event. We'll never compete with Stoke if we're trying to attract fans on their terms so we need to work out what we want the club to be seen as.

i'd rather not be at a vale match with student's around me with there pathetic voices, theyre irritating.

i'd rather not be at a vale match with student's around me with there pathetic voices, theyre irritating.

Why on earth do you have a problem with students? They're just people like anyone else, plus they're the future leaders of the country, the military, all our institutions, industrial managers, engineers, doctors, lawyers, etc., etc.

I should imagine a large number of Vale supporters are either current or former students. Even some of our former players were, eg, Jon McCarthy, Rob Taylor, Ray Williams, John Ridley, Colin Tartt, Marc Snjiders plus a few more I'm sure.

Bums on seats are bums on seats whoever they are.

I think we could get 5/6000 for the Cup tie but we MUST be more proactive and imaginative with ticket sales and information.

Trying to get 5/6000 in for the cup game isn't thinking big enough for me. They're the ones who are going to come on Boxing Day and just fancy a cheap game. They're not new fans or even lapsed fans. They're just the ones that pick and choose their games because of the price/other circumstances. If we go for a game when those fans are coming anyway, the extra people will be the ones who hadn't thought of going until the offer came on and they are the new/lapsed fans that we need to entice in to the club.

We definitely need to be more proactive and imaginative with everything the whole club does. Starting point for that would be to make ticket offers for interesting games, instead of the tired and tested method that has failed for us in the past, and will do again in the future.

Why on earth do you have a problem with students? They're just people like anyone else, plus they're the future leaders of the country, the military, all our institutions, industrial managers, engineers, doctors, lawyers, etc., etc.

I should imagine a large number of Vale supporters are either current or former students. Even some of our former players were, eg, Jon McCarthy, Rob Taylor, Ray Williams, John Ridley, Colin Tartt, Marc Snjiders plus a few more I'm sure.

Bums on seats are bums on seats whoever they are.

Its got nothing to do with you who I have problem with.

Archived