onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Local oatcakes..at last

JOHNNYAITCH

At last I can get a ready supply of Staffordshire oatcakes...even getting them for brekky if I want to

http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&ty=18&q=The%20Oatcake%20Corral%20Weston%20Super%20Mare&ss=ypid.YN1029x107881413&ppois=51.3577499389648_-2.91133594512939_The%20%ee%80%80Oatcake%ee%80%81%20%ee%80%80Corral%ee%80%81_YN1029x107881413~&cp=51.35775~-2.911336&v=2&sV=1#

The guy who runs it is I think from Norton Green..we ended up talking about the Foaming Quart

Wonder what the most unusuall/remote place is where they can be bought? Could not find any in the US or Far East

Advert

That's a great and brave idea by the owner. You're very lucky!

I really hope it pays off for him (the reviews sound very good).

I've always wondered why oatcakes haven't taken off out of the Potteries - anyone I know who is from outside the area that has ever tried one loves them. It's therefore a mystery why a few more "out of Stoke" oatcake places haven't sprung up.

I understand oatcake places are hardly likely to be everywhere around the UK, but I would have thought there may be a few non-Potteries based outlets scattered about.

p.s. Mr Aitch, can you ask him if he would consider an Aylesbury franchise? :wink:

That's a great and brave idea by the owner. You're very lucky!

I really hope it pays off for him (the reviews sound very good).

I've always wondered why oatcakes haven't taken off out of the Potteries - anyone I know who is from outside the area that has ever tried one loves them. It's therefore a mystery why a few more "out of Stoke" oatcake places haven't sprung up.

I understand oatcake places are hardly likely to be everywhere around the UK, but I would have thought there may be a few non-Potteries based outlets scattered about.

p.s. Mr Aitch, can you ask him if he would consider an Aylesbury franchise? :wink:

It's a mobile outlet so I can ask he if can pop along one day per week maybe :)

I've often thought that for anyone struggling to find work and willing to take the risk of setting up their own business could do worse than starting a good oatcake shop in a university city,preferably close to the campus.I'm sure that students would find them to be a reasonably priced,tasty and filling alternative to the fast food obtained from the normal outlets.Good luck to the oatcake man in Weston super Mare. who knows,one day he may open a branch close to the university in Bristol!!

He lives a mile from me, been running his mobile van since I've been living here (3 years) and seems to do very well. He is usually parked up by Worle railway station, which is where we both live. I actually had a sausage and cheese oatcake off him last week and it was very nice.

TBF he also sells burgers and hotdogs so don't know how much business he does through his oatcake side. I did manage to buy a packet at Worle Sainsburys a few years back but never seen any since even though I do look for them every time I'm in there.

Went to Tenerife in June, and found a bar in Puerto Colon, owned by a couple from Meir who make and sell "Stokie oatcakes €2 with 2 fillings."

The only down side, its called The Potter Bar, and yes it was decorated in red and white memorabilia.

Is that the place that blew up about a month ago??

He lives a mile from me, been running his mobile van since I've been living here (3 years) and seems to do very well. He is usually parked up by Worle railway station, which is where we both live. I actually had a sausage and cheese oatcake off him last week and it was very nice.

TBF he also sells burgers and hotdogs so don't know how much business he does through his oatcake side. I did manage to buy a packet at Worle Sainsburys a few years back but never seen any since even though I do look for them every time I'm in there.

Yes, I think Sainsburys tried them out at the same time in Leics but sales only lasted a few weeks.

Yep..I get the train from Worle into Bristol a couple of times per week which is how he came to my attention. Always seems to have a ready supply of customers but not sure how many go for the oatcakes (fools if they don't)

No chance here unfortunately, cant even get the ingredients to make them... They seem to travel well over short distances but it takes 10 days for post to arrive here [if ya lucky]

When I had the markets and shops in blackpool and fleetwood I used to take some for a guy who ran a chippy in fleetwood.

I bring 3 doz vacuum packed High Lane oatcakes back every trip to Stoke, they freeze pretty well but not as good as fresh.

Same here. I bring back oatcakes and put them in the freezer back in in Aylesbury. It's an important part of the matchday routine for me...

Archived