onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

UK Independence Day - 23 June, 2016?

Aussie Rules

Advert

Perhaps the answer is to split, let Momentum go their own way, and the PLP could set up an electable Social Democrat wing.

As a quick answer I think the party should define what it is and wants,... populist swings leads to a mish mass blair type party.... it then has to attract the public to its core.

The FTSE 100 now stands 3.7% higher than before the referendum. The reduction in the value of the pound has possibly gone a bit too far, but was needed to improve the UK trade deficit position with the EU (-7% of GDP, with Germany and France et al sheltering in the Euro to outsell us). Now comes a critical moment. The Tory elections. I support May, I worry about Gove. But May is a single market - negotiate about free movement strategy. The others are WTO - take back complete control of borders and points based immigration strategy. How this plays out settles the future of the UK for decades. This is a very big few weeks.

The FTSE 100 now stands 3.7% higher than before the referendum. The reduction in the value of the pound has possibly gone a bit too far, but was needed to improve the UK trade deficit position with the EU (-7% of GDP, with Germany and France et al sheltering in the Euro to outsell us). Now comes a critical moment. The Tory elections. I support May, I worry about Gove. But May is a single market - negotiate about free movement strategy. The others are WTO - take back complete control of borders and points based immigration strategy. How this plays out settles the future of the UK for decades. This is a very big few weeks.

No doubt plenty of blood will be about when more knives come out. Since the Home Office is in charge of immigration, what did she achieve? How many gun-boats do we have compared to the Italians, to protect our beaches. Certainly stopped Boris from using his water cannons, now being disposed of.

Guest TommyMac
Massive crowd gathering in London.Pro EU.

Surely this is a march/protest against democracy.

Guest TommyMac
How exactly is it a march against democracy?!?!

Duh, be honest with yourself and I'm sure you'll find the answer.

Surely this is a march/protest against democracy.

Interesting point about democracy, Tommy. Democracy is a Greek thing from ancient times about the will of the demos, the people. The people voted last Thursday to exit the EU but what - and I'm not saying it has - if the will of the people has changed since then? How long does a decision made by the people have to be recognised if the people now think it's wrong? On that basis should we ever have an election again because the people have already decided once and that's democracy. Also, if we live in a democracy, haven't all the people got the right to express their views whether they agree with the majority or not otherwise we would never have an opposition party in Parliament?

And before you start shouting at me, this is just a daft philosophical point and I'm not advocating that we should have a second referendum.

Guest TommyMac
Interesting point about democracy, Tommy. Democracy is a Greek thing from ancient times about the will of he demos, the people. The people voted last Thursday to exit the EU but what - and I'm not saying it has - if the will of the people has changed since then? How long does a decision made by the people have to be recognised if the people now think it's wrong? On that basis should we ever have an election again because the people have already decided once and that's democracy. Also, if we live in a democracy, haven't all the people got the right to express their views whether they agree with the majority or not otherwise we would never have an opposition party in Parliament?

And before you start shouting at me, this is just a daft philosophical point and I'm not advocating that we should have a second referendum.

A general election every 5 years is written in the fixed term parliament act which itself was formulated by a democratic act. So to never again have a general election is not democratic. Today, a march or protest is an example of free speech (and long may that continue) but to march/protest against the result of a democratic referendum, the result of which has not yet been actioned, is totally undemocratic.

Archived