onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

UK Independence Day - 23 June, 2016?

Aussie Rules

It's the people who are about to retire who I feel sorry for, as their pensions value sit at least 10% down this morning. Ironic really as they probably voted out as well.

It's common practice that as someone nears retirement age their "pension pot" is moved out of volatile stocks and shares and similarly risky investment vehicles into far less volatile instruments. I dare say some may lose out just as some will benefit as their pension buys up assets that have dropped in value cos of this and sells them when they go back up again but it's not a given that those due to retire will lose out.

Investors are moving their money into safer less rewarding investments which will inevitably cause a drop in the value of indexes and less safe investments..when prcies are judged to be at rock bottom they'll buy back in again

Advert

Doom and gloom. Are you really Osborne in diguise?

We now have idependance and the people of the country can be ruled by the politicians that they vote for. Kown as democracy.

My glass is half full. Yours seems to behalf empty.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong. However, I can't agree about democracy; this referendum was actually democratic but as a nation we have one of the least democratic political systems going, a constituency based system with vastly differing electoral populations, most governments elected with much less than 50% of the vote, an unelected hereditary head of state and an unelected and significantly hereditary second house with the power to delay and amend government bills.

Doom and gloom. Are you really Osborne in diguise?

We now have idependance and the people of the country can be ruled by the politicians that they vote for. Kown as democracy.

We vote for our MEP's. Our elected government appoints the UK representative to the the Council of Ministers - just as the leader of our elected government appoints the members of the Cabinet. What's undemocratic about that?

We do not have "independence" in the sense you mean and your version of independence will take as long as ten years to achieve. That's how long it will take to untangle EU and UK law and that is very likely to be done largely by civil servants, not our elected respresentatives.

Freedom of movement will continue for a minimum of two years until the official divorce takes place, during that time we may actually see an increase in immigration from the EU as folk take a receding opportunity to come here. If we wish to retain access to the single market we are very likely to have to accept freedom of movement just as Norway did. If we wish to retain access to the single market, we will have to accept all the regulatory controls which currently exist.

If we don't remain part of the single market we will have to negotiate individual trade deals with each country both within and outside of the EU and as Barry has said, don't assume that Commonwealth countries like Australia will be falling over themselves to deal with us. The world has moved on in the last 40 years.

I hope, as Cameron said a few weeks ago that whatever happened, Britain will find a way. I just think it will be a considerably more difficult way than it could have been.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong. However, I can't agree about democracy; this referendum was actually democratic but as a nation we have one of the least democratic political systems going, a constituency based system with vastly differing electoral populations, most governments elected with much less than 50% of the vote, an unelected hereditary head of state and an unelected and significantly hereditary second house with the power to delay and amend government bills.

I'm not too sure the 'Gerrymander' in this case would have been as effective as for a General Election because, as I read it, it was more a case of London v The Rest of the UK - well, England and Wales at least.

I'm not too sure the 'Gerrymander' in this case would have been as effective as for a General Election because, as I read it, it was more a case of London v The Rest of the UK - well, England and Wales at least.

Newcastle-upon-Tyne voted remain. Not all Geordies are thick!! :razz:

Those Brexiters who wanted control of borders,and voted on the strength of that, should apply for a collating job on the potential millions of EU migrants ,over the next 2 years,arriving in the UK.

On a lighter note,a German paper had promised to admit it was a goal in 1966 and if we ever had another penalty shootout,they wouldn't have a goalie.,as long as we remained.

Surely Nigel is history now. According to him this is Independence Day so the very raison d'etre of his party is no longer there. Add to that the fact that we may not be United Kingdom in the future and I can see no reason why we should ever hear from him again.

One can but hope.

on that basis the SNP should have died after the scotnat referendum.. These people generally do not disappear afetr their 15 mins of fame is up!

Archived