onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale's ground

whotobeakiller

A completely unrealistic post, unless someone has £30 or £40 million spare change. It's a disgrace that we have an unfinished stand that dates back nearly 20 years, thanks to thinking like this.

Much as I hate to admit it, saying we are a bigger club than Rotherham who regualalry get 11000+ home gates is the stupidest thing I have read in ages - we never averaged 10,000 any season in the 90s with a superb Championship team, and only ever got 7000 home fans or sometimes far less in that division - the support just isn't there. Stoke were not a top Premiership club then either, able to subsidise and market way more than we can.

No doubt these FACTS will upset some, but being ambitios is good, self-delusion is dangerous as we found out thanks to Bill Bell.

You're exactly right. There are loads of clubs who nearly went to the wall because of the financial burden a new ground imposes- Southampton being one

Advert

You're exactly right. There are loads of clubs who nearly went to the wall because of the financial burden a new ground imposes- Southampton being one
Leicester went into Admin when their new ground coincided with relegation. Took 3 owner changes to get back to a second season in the Prem.

Finish the Lorne Street stand and upgrade the current ground. We would then have a great ground. Marseille's ground is actually much older than Vale's, built in the 1930s, but stade velodrome has had a great big mattress style roof plonked on it.

Those grounds in the Euros are the very best grounds in France. Their third division grounds are no where near Vale Park standard.

I'd love us to have an MK dons style ground but come on, Smurf can't even pay for Ajay Leitch Smith, let alone a new ground.

Finish the Lorne Street stand and upgrade the current ground. We would then have a great ground. Marseille's ground is actually much older than Vale's, built in the 1930s, but stade velodrome has had a great big mattress style roof plonked on it.

Those grounds in the Euros are the very best grounds in France. Their third division grounds are no where near Vale Park standard.

I'd love us to have an MK dons style ground but come on, Smurf can't even pay for Ajay Leitch Smith, let alone a new ground.

But MKs is on the possible World Cup list, should we ever get a world cup again

Unfortunately I agree if we did have the funds - and clearly we don't - a 10,000 all seater stadium (like Walsall) would suffice for Vale. It would be nice if we could perhaps join forces with the council & local businesses to get one built in the north of the city which could also host music events (again like Walsall) in the Summer. Alas I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime.

Where will the 3-4K Sheff Weds, Birmingham, Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Derby, (and possible Villa and Newcastle in a couple of year still), fans go in this little 10K stadium that you will be happy with in the Championship?

I don't see us ever having the money...or the moneymen...to build a new stadium, without success on the pitch? Spend any spare money we have on building a squad decent enough to have a tilt at getting into the Championship. and consolidating once there, and we could have a better shout at that kind of investment...and just one season - with the kind of financial rewards being touted for next season - would provide the cash for that! Until then, I think it will remain a pipedream?

Lets be honest its a SHED, but its our shed.

I would cost far to much to tart it up to a decent standard with decent facilities... basically a rebuild of most of the old parts... and a lot more to build a new one.

Once we start selling youngsters for a couple of million each we may do it...

Where will the 3-4K Sheff Weds, Birmingham, Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Derby, (and possible Villa and Newcastle in a couple of year still), fans go in this little 10K stadium that you will be happy with in the Championship?

20th August 1989 first home league game after promotion

v WEST BROM Gate 7,695

21st October 1989 v West Ham (2nd tier league game ) Gate 8,899

7 April 1990 v Newcastle (2nd tier league game) Gate 10,290

Those figures include the often inflated away fans estimate - Newcastle never brought 4000 - more like 1500, West Ham brought 2000 at most that season, Leeds maybe 3000 in an 11000 crowd.

I remember that season well, saw every home game and had a ST and the crowds were dreadfully disappointing, many times because the away support was low, but there were a number of home games with total gate just over 6000 and many just over 7000.

This was even on the back of promotion, some great football (Vale 5 Ipswich 0 on new years day flowed by 8666, 7094 and 7924 at 3 of the next 4 home games) - and Stoke were rubbish and finished last in our division.

Vale finished 11th (above half way), Stoke relegated from same divcision that season. Similar picture in the 90s after second promotion.

Don't delude yourself and others - now that Stoke are in the Premieship, we have to accept that we will not get regular home gates of more than 7500 at absolute best, that is probably far too high an estimate, maybe 8-9000 in the Championship.

v WEST BROM Gate 7,695

Those figures include the often inflated away fans estimate - Newcastle never brought 4000 - more like 1500, West Ham brought 2000 at most that season, Leeds maybe 3000 in an 11000 crowd.

I remember that season well, saw every home game and had a ST and the crowds were dreadfully disappointing, many times because the away support was low, but there were a number of home games with total gate just over 6000 and many just over 7000.

This was even on the back of promotion, some great football (Vale 5 Ipswich 0 on new years day flowed by 8666, 7094 and 7924 at 3 of the next 4 home games) - and Stoke were rubbish and finished last in our division.

Vale finished 11th (above half way), Stoke relegated from same divcision that season. Similar picture in the 90s after second promotion.

Don't delude yourself and others - now that Stoke are in the Premieship, we have to accept that we will not get regular home gates of more than 7500 at absolute best, that is probably far too high an estimate, maybe 8-9000 in the Championship.

Well done on bringing the figures from nearly 30 years ago, but the Championship is a different ball game now, and attendances as you will see in the present are double and with some even trebled

v WEST BROM Gate 7,695

What was the ground capacity in those days, I seem to remember restrictions due to parts of the ground being closed. We had an average of about 9k but that was achieved by the away support, games like Oxford would only attract 6k. As regards Newcastle, our visit there got a gate of about 17k, nothing like their current gates. Also the Baggies brought bigger numbers in later years when they realised we were not push overs.

Archived