Sign in to follow this  
Aussie Rules

Port Vale 4 : 1 Rochdale - Post Match Comments

Don't want to detract from a terrific performance today but please could you tell me which 13 players you'd get rid of and still have a functioning squad and a credible youth policy? This 'get rid of the dead wood and let's just have a squad of 18 to 20' guff is getting really irritating.

2 goalkeepers for starters, Campion, Lloyd, Deen-Conteh (not long been released) Birchall and Daniel. All bar Birchall are (or have been) out on loan anyway.

We need to look at Kapend, Haughton, Bergin, Steele and Reeves - loaning them out to Kidsgrove Ath and Stafford Rangers subs bench doesn't inspire me with confidence. Where as Nathan Smith looks promising and they obviously think something of Dan Turner.

And don't bother with pointless loan signings like Jak McCourt and Matty Kennedy.

Loan rules should see the end of players coming in for chances, only real contenders on long loans will be entertained. Only disadvantage I see is short term cover of goalkeepers should a club have 2 injured.

2 goalkeepers for starters, Campion, Lloyd, Deen-Conteh (not long been released) Birchall and Daniel. All bar Birchall are (or have been) out on loan anyway.

We need to look at Kapend, Haughton, Bergin, Steele and Reeves - loaning them out to Kidsgrove Ath and Stafford Rangers subs bench doesn't inspire me with confidence. Where as Nathan Smith looks promising and they obviously think something of Dan Turner.

And don't bother with pointless loan signings like Jak McCourt and Matty Kennedy.

Every team in the league has 3 keepers, most have 4.

Kennedy wasn't a "pointless" loan signing. He did well when we first got him, everyone was really chuffed when we extended his loan but he then faded.

I also think that Birchall has merited his place in the squad this season and has played well when called upon. If we'd needed to shore up the midfield yesterday, there wasn't anyone else we could have brought on. Ditto with Yates in defence. I'm not saying we need to keep those particular players (although I wouldn't be annoyed if we did, especially now that Norman has said he's looking at pay-as-you-play contracts) but we certainly need the numbers. Also, if you take the 1st year pros out, we don't have a very big squad at all.

Loan rules should see the end of players coming in for chances, only real contenders on long loans will be entertained. Only disadvantage I see is short term cover of goalkeepers should a club have 2 injured.

How is the loan rule changing?

In terms of emergency loans I understand that if your second keeper has played less than 5 games you can get another one in. May explain why Boot isn't being tried out too?

Renewed my season ticket yesterday and was rewarded with an excellent performance. Really excited about JJ for next season, he was a real handful for their defenders yesterday and deserved his man of the match award.

i really enjoyed yesterdays game it was all very positive and very adventurous football.Great to see defenders popping up in goal scoring positions.

I thought JJ looked top notch yesterday with some great link up play with Theo.

The success of this new formation of 3-5-2 has really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons,Rob Page will certainly be doing some head scratching while trying to sort out the contracts for next season.

I have felt really negative about Vale for the last few months and seriously considered not renewing my 3 season tickets but yesterday really geed me up and made my mind up to renew again.

Only down side for me at the moment is getting searched before EVERY game it is really narking me i almost lost it yesterday at the turnstiles its way over the top.I have missed only 3 away games this season and can only remember getting searched 2 or 3 times.Sorry to end my post with a moan.

Only down side for me at the moment is getting searched before EVERY game it is really narking me i almost lost it yesterday at the turnstiles its way over the top.I have missed only 3 away games this season and can only remember getting searched 2 or 3 times.Sorry to end my post with a moan.

Totally agree about this ludicrous procedure. Does this happen everywhere round the ground or is it just the Paddock entrances? My owd man did lose it with one idiot steward and refused his request of a search and just walked past him into the turnstile. When the guy said he had the right to do a search my owd man just said he also had the right to refuse it and after a bit of a stand off the steward let it go. I wouldn't mind but my owd man is 73!!

The finish on a positive though I thought the team were excellent yesterday and Rob Page also should get credit in the way he's improved the side from last year. I believe we're only 2-3 quality signings from being a top six side next season so Smurf don't mess it up! Remember the one thing fans need is hope so don't take that away.

Totally agree about this ludicrous procedure. Does this happen everywhere round the ground or is it just the Paddock entrances? My owd man did lose it with one idiot steward and refused his request of a search and just walked past him into the turnstile. When the guy said he had the right to do a search my owd man just said he also had the right to refuse it and after a bit of a stand off the steward let it go. I wouldn't mind but my owd man is 73!!

The finish on a positive though I thought the team were excellent yesterday and Rob Page also should get credit in the way he's improved the side from last year. I believe we're only 2-3 quality signings from being a top six side next season so Smurf don't mess it up! Remember the one thing fans need is hope so don't take that away.

The issue about being searched was bought up at the recent forum.When asked Smurf said there had been a new remit from the authorities that all clubs should do se these arches this is all to do with recent events around the world.

Renewed my season ticket yesterday and was rewarded with an excellent performance. Really excited about JJ for next season, he was a real handful for their defenders yesterday and deserved his man of the match award.

Nice to hear the Robby Page chant at the end of the game when he came on to the pitch to thank the fans.

Every team in the league has 3 keepers, most have 4.

Kennedy wasn't a "pointless" loan signing. He did well when we first got him, everyone was really chuffed when we extended his loan but he then faded.

I also think that Birchall has merited his place in the squad this season and has played well when called upon. If we'd needed to shore up the midfield yesterday, there wasn't anyone else we could have brought on. Ditto with Yates in defence. I'm not saying we need to keep those particular players (although I wouldn't be annoyed if we did, especially now that Norman has said he's looking at pay-as-you-play contracts) but we certainly need the numbers. Also, if you take the 1st year pros out, we don't have a very big squad at all.

Yates more probably than Birchall. Yates can cover both fullback positions and he's probably quite cheap. Depends really on whether Page sees Smith as a fullback or centrehalf. I think he played both fullback roles as a 16 year old. Our current fullbacks can cover at centrehalf but only Duffy can cover rightback - and being blunt he's an even worse rightback than Yates. Birchall also offers cover all across the midfield so there is some logic in keeping him for another season as a 4th choice centre midfield player and 4th choice winger. Neither has been a star but I think they've plugged holes brought on by injury quite effectively this year - which was why both got contract offers.

With 7 subs I guess you realistically need a squad of 22 players you can feel confident in some level of performance. I think I look back to the glory days when there were only 3 subs allowed and Rudge's teams where there were only 15 players in the squad at times in reality.

There's also no point losing Yates if that means we need to bring in 2 cover players who are untried and potentially a lot worse.

JJ Hooper will be a real find if he continues to learn and improve. The potential is most certainly there. Think Kelly will also be a better and stronger player next season after this - It's been tough for him at times but he's shown more than enough glimpses of ability to know that there's a good League One player in their.

Nice to hear the Robby Page chant at the end of the game when he came on to the pitch to thank the fans.

I think Rob Page is proving to be a good manager and many fans now appreciate what he has done. He is still learning his trade but I would sooner he kept on learning and improving with us than with someone else.