onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

House prices

JOHNNYAITCH

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35941503

Someat has to be done..OK it makes some places affordable oop north (if people have jobs) but down our way people in decent jobs (nurses, young teachers, all sorts) simply cannot buy a home. There is a new development near here called Cranbrook..a huge new town with 100s of houses and many are quite tiny but still out of reach of the majority of those in work.

I don't have the answer to making sure everyone has a home to live in that they can afford to pay for...but we do need more council housing (or similar) across the country as part of that answer.

Advert

Unfortunately even in parts of the north (Wilmslow where I am from and currently work being one example), my wages, even in decent jobs for one of the higher paying firms in the town, mean I will still never be able to afford to buy a house here in all likelihood. If you can't afford to buy a house in the town where you work through your own wages, it suggests there is a flaw in the system somewhere.

Someat has to be done..OK it makes some places affordable oop north (if people have jobs) but down our way people in decent jobs (nurses, young teachers, all sorts) simply cannot buy a home. There is a new development near here called Cranbrook..a huge new town with 100s of houses and many are quite tiny but still out of reach of the majority of those in work.

I don't have the answer to making sure everyone has a home to live in that they can afford to pay for...but we do need more council housing (or similar) across the country as part of that answer.

I don't know why,but it seems that successive governments have found it so difficult to build enough council or affordable homes.Whether it's down to planning permission,skilled construction workers or simply desire I don't know.Canada has half our population but manages to build twice as many homes,why is that?

Large parts of the UK are now dominated by buy-to-let landlords.

The gains made from doing this enable a small group of people to buy up property more easily than most, and so keep the whip hand over renters.

I think no individual should be allowed to own more than one buy-to-let property.

It does my head in when people who own dozens or even hundreds of properties are held up as examples of great business people.

I've seen plenty of examples where the landlord does nothing in terms of upkeep of their properties, and frankly don't give a toss who they put in their properties....to the detriment of the area and to the dismay of local residents.

I think no individual should be allowed to own more than one buy-to-let property.

It does my head in when people who own dozens or even hundreds of properties are held up as examples of great business people.

I've seen plenty of examples where the landlord does nothing in terms of upkeep of their properties, and frankly don't give a toss who they put in their properties....to the detriment of the area and to the dismay of local residents.

The principle is good (and I've been a landlord with one property rented out) but there is nothing stopping people setting up a 'one man' company and buying up properties for rent or using a mate or having an arrangement with someone as a cover for the real beneficial owner of the rented property. It will only stop when there is genuine competition for tenants...hence the need for more housing..and arguably less people (back to immigration).

Laws around upkeep are changing and reputable agencies will not deal with landlords who don't maintain properties properly..but not enough of them either :(

The principle is good (and I've been a landlord with one property rented out) but there is nothing stopping people setting up a 'one man' company and buying up properties for rent or using a mate or having an arrangement with someone as a cover for the real beneficial owner of the rented property. It will only stop when there is genuine competition for tenants...hence the need for more housing..and arguably less people (back to immigration).

Laws around upkeep are changing and reputable agencies will not deal with landlords who don't maintain properties properly..but not enough of them either :(

I work for a lender myself, & we've been told that we & others in the industry are beginning to think about stopping this happening, with stricter lending criteria & less products etc to try & discourage people doing it.

We just need lots more homes to be built whoever builds/owns them. The increasing population and the differing needs of more diverse family life and situations, means that the demand isn't going to reduce. And in the laws of supply & demand there's only one way a commodity price can go if there's a shortage....and that's up. It's the total economic opposite to what's hapening with the price of steel--and that, incidently, is the very reason why the steel industry should NOT be nationalised!

The gains made from doing this enable a small group of people to buy up property more easily than most, and so keep the whip hand over renters.

Social housing is a form of buy-to-let. Are you going to restrict housing associations from owning more properties? As I've said below, we just need more housing, full stop, whoever owns it.

Social housing is a form of buy-to-let. Are you going to restrict housing associations from owning more properties? As I've said below, we just need more housing, full stop, whoever owns it.

Spot on,the populations not going to decrease so it's a no brainier?

I agree entirely, I don't know how young people get on the property ladder these days apart from help from parents. In our town in Massachusetts if a developer wishes to build a large number of new homes/condos then 20% of the units have to be sold at below market price (set by the town) to low income families. Also if you own a second home which is not your principle dwelling, any profit made when sold is taxed at the highest rate possible whereas "profit" made on a principle dwelling is not taxed.

In Boston speculators are a huge problem, particularly from the Far East. Many new high rise condos/apartments are being built in the city but most are being snapped up by international investors who have no intention of living there, consequently many condos are being built to rent at high prices and not to sell. Anyone earning

Housing Associations have obligations to their tenants and have whole workforces devoted to meeeting those obligations via tenant charters etc. They could never evict people without all the correct procedures being followed.

Tenants in private lettings are far more vulnerable, and many of those landlords neglect their duties of repair and upkeep.

Having said all that, some tenants are absolute scum who are happy to live in filthy conditions and avoid paying the rent - and then have to be evicted, having trashed the house before they leave. Bigger deposits are the answer to that one, I think.

Archived