onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

House prices

JOHNNYAITCH

I agree entirely, I don't know how young people get on the property ladder these days apart from help from parents. In our town in Massachusetts if a developer wishes to build a large number of new homes/condos then 20% of the units have to be sold at below market price (set by the town) to low income families. Also if you own a second home which is not your principle dwelling, any profit made when sold is taxed at the highest rate possible whereas "profit" made on a principle dwelling is not taxed.

In Boston speculators are a huge problem, particularly from the Far East. Many new high rise condos/apartments are being built in the city but most are being snapped up by international investors who have no intention of living there, consequently many condos are being built to rent at high prices and not to sell. Anyone earning

Same over here,we'd sell our soul to foreign investors if the price was right,they are mopping up properties in London and then leaving them empty.

Things don't look good for our steel industry either if you look at our past history,we've already sold off our traditional manufacturing industries to overseas investors,plus our public utilities,water companies,railways and airports.

At least the Americans have the sense not to hand over their nuclear industry to the Chinese?

Advert

Housing Associations have obligations to their tenants and have whole workforces devoted to meeeting those obligations via tenant charters etc. They could never evict people without all the correct procedures being followed.

Tenants in private lettings are far more vulnerable, and many of those landlords neglect their duties of repair and upkeep.

Having said all that, some tenants are absolute scum who are happy to live in filthy conditions and avoid paying the rent - and then have to be evicted, having trashed the house before they leave. Bigger deposits are the answer to that one, I think.

A recent report also highlighted the inflated salaries that Housing Association CEO's are receiving--many of them well in excess of the Prime Minister's salary--must be some room for cost-cutting on these to pass on to tenants?

Just stop people breeding so much

And living longer..bliddy oldies hanging around and stopping young uns from having a home

And those foreigners coming in and taking our houses

And people not living with their parents and grandparents any longer and wanting a place of their own

Selfish all of them

A recent report also highlighted the inflated salaries that Housing Association CEO's are receiving--many of them well in excess of the Prime Minister's salary--must be some room for cost-cutting on these to pass on to tenants?

That just shows that the Pm isn't paid enough..same for MPs

• 4 months later...

A simple and extremely painful and life-changing horrible case of extreme free-market Thatcherism coming back to bite all of us, which some of you still support. You can't have it both ways and we all end up suffering because of it.

A good proportion of state-control in housing is essential in a country where both main parties have taken the decision to let the overall population rise, for whatever reason.

A simple and extremely painful and life-changing horrible case of extreme free-market Thatcherism coming back to bite all of us, which some of you still support. You can't have it both ways and we all end up suffering because of it.

A good proportion of state-control in housing is essential in a country where both main parties have taken the decision to let the overall population rise, for whatever reason.

A bit harsh on the 'Iron Lady' who wouldn't have

planned for immigration figures that would be five times higher than they were during her time in power.I believe that from 1979-1990 the average net immigration was around 60,000 a year.

Correct AR,2 kids then the snip or the nursery removed.All those benefits saved that could be put to house building. ;)

No need to snip people. Just limit child benefits and similar to, say, a max of 2 children. To be fair to those already with children and receiving benefits, make the policy effective from 10 months from now.

It won't take long to significantly reduce production!

Agreed,better to spend £9billion on building council houses than lining the pockets of landlords.

I grew up in a council house and my mum and dad did start the process of buying it but I remember my dad telling us that we were not going to go ahead as it would mean the house not being available for future generations in the same situation that they had been in before they moved into it. I agreed with him then and I agree with him now.

Let council raise/borrow money to fund house building..so many sites available yet unused

A bit harsh on the 'Iron Lady' who wouldn't have

planned for immigration figures that would be five times higher than they were during her time in power.I believe that from 1979-1990 the average net immigration was around 60,000 a year.

The depletion of council house stocks by 1 million+ due to right to buy has not only given far too much 'power' to the private sector it's also caused huge social divisions on council estates. Members of my family would now happily be living in a council house more suited to their needs and paying far less rent but instead have to live in a not so suitable privately owned house which costs them and the tax payer far far more in rent..

Huge sums were spent on houses on Norton estate by the council to put in central heating, double glazing, new kitchens etc but will families in need get the benefit of that or will future landlords get that benefit cos they can charge more rent

Archived