onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

National press pick up on Vale controversy...

robf

Advert

I think the time for that has passed, Rob. The damage has already been done.

True, a great deal of damage has been done. That's sadly happened and can't be sorted.

However, news only has a limited life-time. This story will fade away in a while BUT if the press are continually given quotes that they can use then they will potentially produce future stories that will just cause the club and fans even more problems.

So, in my view it's - one week of awful headlines is bad enough but let's not make it two, three or four weeks of them.

I was thinking back over some of the things Norman did at Vale, just the silly things like dressing as a smurf, doing the ice bucket challenge on the pitch and being carried aloft in the pub after promotion and it's such a shame that he's gone from being generally loved to now being treated like something you might have stepped in. I worry that VantaaVale is right and that there isn't any way back for him now. Awful.

True, a great deal of damage has been done. That's sadly happened and can't be sorted.

However, news only has a limited life-time. This story will fade away in a while BUT if the press are continually given quotes that they can use then they will potentially produce future stories that will just cause the club and fans even more problems.

So, in my view it's - one week of awful headlines is bad enough but let's not make it two, three or four weeks of them.

I suspect that will be a forlorn hope Rob, as no doubt there will be lots of posters continuing the theme on here for a good while to come! Reading between the lines, the running of a football club isn't quite the dream job that Norman presumably originally envisaged and one gets the feeling that the novelty has worn off and is possibly wearing him down in terms of his health and wealth. As you've pleaded for, a period of stability and relative quiet on the PR front might just be the best for both the club & Norman at the moment!

It was probably inevitable but the Daily Mail has produced a piece on the Hasselbaink story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3352730/Port-Vale-tuned-chance-appoint-Jimmy-Floyd-Hasselbaink-manager-two-years-ago-fear-racist-abuse-fans.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

I doubt it's going to help our club's reputation one bit and the other tabloids will doubtless follow suit now.

This is why I really think it's time for Norman Smurthwaite to stop talking to the press and conduct any sale of the club in private. If they feel the need to inform the fans of any developments then do it via announcements on the official site.

Have only just read your article about the chairman's mixed media messages and couldn't agree more.

Purely from a business perspective, surely this is particularly necessary if he is to get any interested parties on board. It seems that the more he speaks publicly, the more confused the messages delivered. If you're trying to sell a business, house or any asset, surely you'd only want advertise the asset's virtues? After all, it's not very sensible to publicly announce shortcomings/problems and downsides if you do seriously want to get the best price possible!

I know very closely to be able to say something concrete, but as a Brazilian fan analyze this situation that Norman should not be at the club for his good and Port Vale, mainly seemed that the good atmosphere that was created was destroyed this week only I want the club return to stability and can continue to grow on a short-term future

Have only just read your article about the chairman's mixed media messages and couldn't agree more.

Purely from a business perspective, surely this is particularly necessary if he is to get any interested parties on board. It seems that the more he speaks publicly, the more confused the messages delivered. If you're trying to sell a business, house or any asset, surely you'd only want advertise the asset's virtues? After all, it's not very sensible to publicly announce shortcomings/problems and downsides if you do seriously want to get the best price possible!

Didn't Smurf once say that everything he does is thought out in advance? And then there's the old adage that any news is good news. Could this be a cynical way of getting national awareness of the 'Vale for Sale' message whilst also creating many reasons why staying at the Vale is no longer an option.

I feel disgusted, I honestly do. Also a bit insulted as a long standing season ticket holder.

The racist chanting referred to against Bradford was the common 'town full of...' which, whilst unacceptable, just reflects what small minds think is hilarious rather than them being hardened fascists. I certainly don't believe for one minute the overwhelming majority of Vale supporters would stand by and allow vile racist abuse to take place unchallenged and I think it would only be an utterly tiny minority of Vale's followers who would resort to that type of abuse toward a non-white or non-English manager even if results were dreadful.

In the late 70's / early 80's era of the Chambo's, Trevor Brissett, Osher Williams, Robbie Earle, Alex Williams, etc.,etc. we were one of the first clubs to have a significant proportion of our team made up of non-white players and that was a period of serious racism. VERY rarely during that time did I hear any Vale fans giving players stick because of their race and on the odd occasion someone did they were given lots of earache by those around them; it was the time when overtly racist chants began to be challenged and I think Vale fans were amongst the first to do that. Maybe I have a view through rose coloured specs but that's how I feel and I think to some degree in recent years a few knuckle draggers have taken us backwards slightly.

We are NOT a racist club and have NEVER been in the same vein as Chelsea, West Ham & Millwall and it's wrong for Norman to even hint we have those tendencies.

I'm beginning to think Mr. Smurthwaite is a bit of an attention seeking fantasiser who can't help spouting b011Ocks on occasion. I appreciate what he's done for the club and I'm even a bit sad he's decided to call it a day and sell up but the more dung he spouts the less sympathy I feel.

I am disgusted that Smurthwait should brand Port Vale supporters as racist.

What have we done to deserve this? It is just sour grapes because he has not been able to bring success and higher attendances to the games, which is his fault. As he said, quote:'the buck stops at me'.

He has driven a nail in Port Vales coffin which could take us down to L2 or even to the same state as his new love Torquay.

The man is a publicity seeking disaster!

Archived