onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

I told 'em Oldham

davidatpreston

Cameron was bang on when he mentioned terrorist sympathisers when both corbyn and macdonnall were both sympathisers with the IRA and HAMAS in years gone by and those who thought UKIP could overturn or make inroads into a10,000 majority must be living on another planet.Labour won with a local prominent politician, horses for courses and won the day.

Advert

Cameron was bang on when he mentioned terrorist sympathisers when both corbyn and macdonnall were both sympathisers with the IRA and HAMAS in years gone by and those who thought UKIP could overturn or make inroads into a10,000 majority must be living on another planet.Labour won with a local prominent politician, horses for courses and won the day.

Because Cameron or the tories never backed terrorists 'legal or illegal' did they? In fact today they are backing known 'terrorists' in Syria and the PKK in Turkey.

I think some folk need to look at what sympathies there were. You can sympathise with a cause but not the actions on many global struggles. Unfortunately many are incapable of seeing the difference and fall for the media spin.

'Friends' is used like people say 'mate' or 'pal' when they are not.

The #blamecorbyn rhetoric is a lazy argument.

I would have been very surprised if they hadnt won, and it would have shaken the party if they hadnt.

It's the increased share of the vote, the collapse of the Tory vote, the failure of UKIP to gain that matter more than the fact Labour won.

If they had won with a 2000 majority it would have been a very different story - they'd have still won, but this is a great victory for them and it is churlish not to acknowledge that.

The END of farage and ukip I reckon as well as a predictable labour win we are back to the standard 2 party system again

They wont go as easily as that, despite being shown up here.

I await a Tory held by-election where UKIP are 2nd to see if they do any better, and suspect they will, particularly if things get worse in the terrorist scenario and there is an attack here - which our own security admit is purely a matter of time despite heroic efforts to stop several near-misses.

But the big losers here were the Tories - I reckon that one remark from Flash Harry Cameron about terrorist sympathisers cost them 1500 votes or more. They were never going to win it, but how many English seats have just 2000 Tory voters left? :laugh:

It's the increased share of the vote, the collapse of the Tory vote, the failure of UKIP to gain that matter more than the fact Labour won.

If they had won with a 2000 majority it would have been a very different story - they'd have still won, but this is a great victory for them and it is churlish not to acknowledge that.

It should be placed in the context it deserves...the votes were in before a week of the campaign was finished..and there is scrutiny in the way those votes were administered.

Then you have to account for the fact that 25% of the Oldham constituency were of ethic race, of which many have been seduced by Labour's appeasement of their culture where men and women sit apart...an absolute disgrace, and flies in the face of Equality.

It would have helped if 60% of the electorate had turned up to vote...it might have been a totally different story. Now they have nothing to moan about because they did not vote.

I am quite appalled at the recent Labour Oldham Election meetings in which both men and women sat apart...If the Labour party are happy with this form of social practice to appease their Muslim constituents to gain votes then that is the lowest of the low.

If they choose to sit apart, why do you blame Labour.

Would you say the same at some golf clubs, social clubs, mothers meetings where people choose to segregate, you cant force them not to.

That's a bitter UKIP taste coming through, I suspect - and I have no time for Islam as you will have seen, but sitting apart is one of the least of its bad things and is pretty trivial.

Poor campaign and result from Ukip and a disgraceful reaction from Nuttall and Farage.

Tories down 10% too. Lovely stuff.

Can't disagree with those comments. Although I did think it might have been a closer result, Their campaign clearly didn't ignite, but I have to say that I'm personally delighted that Ukip hasn't made any more strides.

However, to put the result into some sort of context, and to put a little perspective onto the matter, Labour's majority was in fact reduced and it is one of those northern constituencies (much like Stoke-On-Trent) where Labour losing the seat would be more than an just an upset, it would be an absolute catastrophe for Labour. Anyone with a red rosette would be totally useless if they lost in a constituency such as Oldham. Those type of towns are not a real test of whether Jeremy has won over anyone other than his own tribe--many voters interviewed said that they'd never heard of Jeremy Corbyn, but still voted Labour! (Sorry Mr. H, but on his particular point, I do think the exclamation mark is warranted).

A great victory, for heavens sake this was Oldham West, a great victory would be a rural southern seat. Put Miss Piggy in a red rosette and she would have won Oldham.

A picture paints a thousand words. I have just seen a picture of Corbyn visiting Oldham standing next to the new MP Jim McMahon. Jim is smartly dressed. He looks like a person with experience who represents a major public body in the form of the Council. He looks like someone you would trust to receive delegated powers and to help implement the Northern Powerhouse. He looks like other senior local government Labour leaders in Liverpool and Manchester etc. Corbyn does not. once again he terms up informally dressed at a public event and the best I can say is that he has a reasonably new jacket. I cringe at the idea of him ever being alongside a major international figure such as the German Chancellor or French President. He is a consistent let down aside from his left wing views. He looks like the set of losers from Greece in the way he dresses and I suspect is likely to be as poor if ever in office.

Archived