onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

I told 'em Oldham

davidatpreston

Just to add that they lost 4,000 votes from last time...

so is it 6 for increased percentage... or half dozen for decreased votes?

Just to add that all those who comment professionally on these things disregard that and use VOTE SHARE, because as someone as politically astute as your goodself will know, there is bound to be a lower turnout at a by-election than at a General election.

Mr Farage also seems to have missed the fact that some Conservative voters will have switched to him tactically, as the tories had no chance in this seat, so UKIPs vote was probably more than it should have been.:)

Advert

A picture paints a thousand words. I have just seen a picture of Corbyn visiting Oldham standing next to the new MP Jim McMahon. Jim is smartly dressed. He looks like a person with experience who represents a major public body in the form of the Council. He looks like someone you would trust to receive delegated powers and to help implement the Northern Powerhouse. He looks like other senior local government Labour leaders in Liverpool and Manchester etc. Corbyn does not. once again he terms up informally dressed at a public event and the best I can say is that he has a reasonably new jacket. I cringe at the idea of him ever being alongside a major international figure such as the German Chancellor or French President. He is a consistent let down aside from his left wing views. He looks like the set of losers from Greece in the way he dresses and I suspect is likely to be as poor if ever in office.

Does the Dalai Lama wear a suit very often these days ?

http://www.lotusimprints.com/new/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dalai-lama-hotdog.jpg

http://neoneocon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DalaiLama.jpg

Just to add that all those who comment professionally on these things disregard that and use VOTE SHARE, because as someone as politically astute as your goodself will know, there is bound to be a lower turnout at a by-election than at a General election.

Mr Farage also seems to have missed the fact that some Conservative voters will have switched to him tactically, as the tories had no chance in this seat, so UKIPs vote was probably more than it should have been.:)

Everyone will look at it from their own perspective and slant their view accordingly.

Labour will look at the increased %, others will look at the decreased/loss of votes. Everyone, except farage, will try to put a positive spin on the end result that labour have somehow managed to hold on to a very very safe seat whilst not in power and struggling to be an effective opposition.

The size of the majority is important in a safe seat - the headlines would have been VERY different if Labour had won by just 1000 votes for example, Farage would have been ecstatic, the UKIP bandwagon is rolling etc etc...... and for someone who thinks it is so unimportant, less than JC's sock colour, you are awfully vocal on the subject and devoting a lot of time to it... but that's good, shows deep down you think it is important.:)

Headlines sell papers

Not devoting time to it, just waiting for it to get light so I can go fishing :D

Bankers [ :wagging: yes Bankers] wear suits.. they are highly regarded and trusted.. arent they? :ohmy: :sums: :looney:

You've misunderstood my reply to Warren I fear.... he was annoyed at Corbyn for not wearing a suit - I think nobody should have to wear a suit, and JC is smart casual and clean looking so no problem.

As Warren has put forward Buddhist stuff in the past, I pointed out that the Dalai Lama does not wear a suit, so he (Warren) may see the inconsistency in his posts. I don't think the Dalai Lama should wear a suit either.

Bankers are mainly filth in my opinion, there may be a few that are nice people so I wont stereotype completely - but if there are I would like someone to point them out to me.:)

Headlines sell papers

Not devoting time to it, just waiting for it to get light so I can go fishing :D

Most of the prawns and fish in my local Tesco, not to mention nearly all the chicken, now seems to come from either Thailand or Vietnam.

Serious question you may or may not be able to answer - are the fish and chicken farming / production / storage and packing etc facilities hygienic and safe ?

They are probably better than the Bernard Matthews farms in the UK I suspect.

Poor result,up 2%.You remind me of the Aldi-Lidl scoffing brigade.Ignore at your peril you fool.

What an utterly bizarre post. If you are happy with a 2% rise when your main rivals for the seat have just suffered their worst month in a very long time, when you've campaigned relentlessly and hoped to take the seat, then good luck to you. Not sure what Aldi and Lidl have got to do with it either.

In the 2001 general election, 6552 voted for Nick Griffin in Oldham West & Royton. On Thursday, 6487 voted for UKIP.

The BBC report on this was annoying. Before the by-election, they were stating how it was a test of Corbyn. When Labour actually increased their share of the post, when the winner praised JC and even hugged him in front of the press, the story changed to how Labour won despite Corbyn, illustrating this by showing one voter saying that people only voted Labour because of the candidate, not the leader. It's like Bookworm with Page! I don't think the BBC is biased but I do think they're following their own narrative rather than reporting what's actually happening.

You've misunderstood my reply to Warren I fear.... he was annoyed at Corbyn for not wearing a suit - I think nobody should have to wear a suit, and JC is smart casual and clean looking so no problem.

As Warren has put forward Buddhist stuff in the past, I pointed out that the Dalai Lama does not wear a suit, so he (Warren) may see the inconsistency in his posts. I don't think the Dalai Lama should wear a suit either.

Bankers are mainly filth in my opinion, there may be a few that are nice people so I wont stereotype completely - but if there are I would like someone to point them out to me.:)

I understood your post, my reply was to suggest that not everyone who wears a suit is suitable... or respectable... or competent even... hence the Bankers

Most of the prawns and fish in my local Tesco, not to mention nearly all the chicken, now seems to come from either Thailand or Vietnam.

Serious question you may or may not be able to answer - are the fish and chicken farming / production / storage and packing etc facilities hygienic and safe ?

They are probably better than the Bernard Matthews farms in the UK I suspect.

On large scale production I dont know... locally chickens and ducks roam free and are killed when they are purchased [unless you want to take them alive]... or that day if bought from a market etc.... the fish are usually alive and swimming when you buy them locally and in restaurants/... frozen in supermarkets like tesco and makro... unless of course they are sea fish, they are all frozen

The BBC report on this was annoying. Before the by-election, they were stating how it was a test of Corbyn. When Labour actually increased their share of the post, when the winner praised JC and even hugged him in front of the press, the story changed to how Labour won despite Corbyn, illustrating this by showing one voter saying that people only voted Labour because of the candidate, not the leader. It's like Bookworm with Page! I don't think the BBC is biased but I do think they're following their own narrative rather than reporting what's actually happening.

I think the BBC is making a great effort to stay onside with the Tories due to the Corporation's precarious financial position and this Government's desire to see the back of them.

Laura Kuensburg persistently tries to do down Corbyn when interviewing him, and Nick Robinson has gone on record as saying that some of his colleagues seem to have it in for Corbyn.

Maybe this is why Robinson is no longer top dog political commentator on the TV News and has been relegated to the Today Programme on BBC Radio 4?

Anyone who tries to wobble the establishment boat will get the full force of the establishment on them. It was just the same with the Beatles. But when an Old Etonian in a posh suit loses his cool after a few weeks of questions perhaps things are happening?

Archived